Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 23rd, 2018 09:00

XPS 15 - uninstalling McAffee LiveSafe

Hello All,

Getting ready to purchase an XPS 15 for a dual-boot system. The McAffee software must be able to be removed once I receive it. Has anyone done this? Is it difficult? From searching the internet on this topic the difficulty seems to range from "very difficult involving registry hacks" to "simple and easy with McAffee's own software removal tool".

Anyone done this? Is it possible to do? I have no problem with receiving the laptop and installing Win10 with my own license, but it would be easier to simply shrink the extant partition.

Feedback welcome - thanks!

JB

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

Welcome! Basically yes. The normal uninstall method uninstalls everything while the tool itself cleans up what the uninstaller missed or couldn't get rid of for whatever reason. My personal rule of thumb is to use the main uninstaller in the control panel (old version or new version in windows 10) and then use the tool located here: https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview?articleId=TS101331 Reason being is the uninstaller tool is more of a forceful rip the guts out type of uninstall.

7 Posts

@beamermt79 great - thanks for the reply. Why would I need to run the McAffee tool after the uninstall? Is there still some registry or other cleanup leftover? 

Thanks again!

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

Just uninstall it like you would any other program in the windows 10 control panel. You can also use McAfee's own removal tool but I would use that AFTER you uninstall it.

7 Posts

February 23rd, 2018 10:00

Great - thanks again. I'd rather not have to re-image!

JB

No Events found!