Start a Conversation

Unsolved

JC

24 Posts

June 29th, 2020 06:00

XPS 15 with slower memory

Hi all, I'm looking into getting an XPS.  I see they come with DDR4 2933Mhz memory.  I have older DDR4 2133Mhz memory from an older laptop.  Will the XPS work with that memory?

24 Posts

July 6th, 2020 13:00

anyone know this answer?

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

July 6th, 2020 13:00

No.  One of the processor options requires 2666 -- the higher end i7 one requires 2933 (which essentially means 3200).

2 Intern

• 

590 Posts

July 7th, 2020 04:00

Compatibility issues aside, I see no basis to believe it wouldn't work, especially if you're replacing all the DIMMs.

Memory specifications for a CPU/chipset and by extension a PC/laptop are generally maximum supported speed. Installing slower memory is almost never an issue - it just runs at the slower speed.

You still could have compatibility issues which have nothing to do with memory speed (in other words, different DIMMs with the same speed would work, just not the ones you have). Also, Dell/Intel may not "officially" support or have tested the specific memory you're using (although for Dell is seems this is true of much of the available third party memory), but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work.

What's the specific manufacturer/part# of the 2133 memory you're thinking about using?

No Events found!