XPS

Last reply by 11-19-2021 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS 17 (9700) battery drain

I have mow owned this laptop for a couple months and have delt with the battary drain I decided to contact dell after seeing others having the similar problem. Painstaking a dell technician was sent to my home to replace the motherboard free of charge which was nice but the problem hasn’t been fixed. I just finished playing a game on my laptop and had to end early after getting a warning that my laptop was at 3% while plugged in mind you after only 2 hours of playing a game. It’s unacceptable that dell thinks a lap should only need to run for 2 hours!! 

Just before that trying to fix the problem I completely updated my laptop through Dell’s update thing. Where there was a bios update it needed to perform as well as through the windows update. I checked on the dell site for any problems with my battery which it says there aren’t and my battery will still die in a little over 2 hours of running a video game. 

if there is any fix or a way to just limit the computer not to drain power that fast please tell me. Otherwise I would like to find a way to return this computer for a refund and spend my money somewhere else because a laptop that costed $2.7K shouldn last fir well over 2 hours before running out of battery while plugged in and in fact shouldn’t drain power at all while plugged in

Replies (18)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I had the same issue. I am now working with Dell on fixing this issue.

What they have suggested me to check are 

1. Battery Health in BIOS
2. ePSA test 

And everything looks great for both tests. Now I am waiting for their response on this issue. Will update more here as things proceed.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

same issue here
less than 2 hours of work on battery (text editing) with the "Battery Saver on" enabled
any response from Dell?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I'm having the same issue, and can't figure out the cause. I've had the laptop just over 6 months now, and the poor battery life is recent. I used to get almost a full day's work on battery, now battery lasts only a couple of hours on full charge with light usage (checking emails, browsing web, chatting on Teams). All software, drivers and BIOS up to date.

I've got the same problem after one year. I can work only 2 hours on battery, thats ridicilous.

Same here, I can't get more than 2 hours on my laptop XPS 17, 4k, 2060. I'm running it in power save mode, with a low resolution, Bluetooth off, etc. Battery health is excellent. All updates to OS and Firmware were done daily, and nothing changed.
For a $3000 laptop, this is unacceptable, Dell dropped the ball on this one. Never again I'll buy Dell or recommend it to my peers.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

It obviously has occurred because of an update either Dell or Microsoft.  I actually have marveled at the amount of time I could use my year and a half old xps 17... 4 hours plus with plenty left .  And now for about 3 weeks I get 2 hours max.  I wish everyone here with the same sudden issue that we would at least get ...."we are aware of the issue cause and are working on a solution"  I don't care who caused it... Just fix it!

Thanks

I received my first response ... we'll look into it but your battery is old and they wear out ...here is the phone number to get a new one.  I may order one depending on the price just because but I don't think that is the answer since it just started happening.

This is the practical model of the battery. On a 6 cell battery, each cell can provide 15 minutes output, which means 15 minutes * 6cells = 90 minutes of High Performance usage. However, with the advent of technology and hardware also with the Power Management utilities built within the modern computers, the usage hour has drastically increased and we may get it anywhere between 2-6 hours depending on the usage, applications, hardware settings, and system age. The given 4 hours output is definitely well within its usable and average range. This is working as designed and we do not see this to be defective. Over period the life expectancy is expected to decrease.

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. To send us a private message, click our DELL-Cares username. Our Forum profile page will then appear. On the right, click "Send this user a private message".

Hi There, We see that you had contacted us recently regarding issues with your computer, and our experts have been waiting for your confirmation on the outcome of the suggested steps/ provide the requested details, this service ticket is currently in-progress. Please reply to this message, so we can keep you posted with further updates on the service status.

Regards,

Paventhan M

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. To send us a private message, click our DELL-Cares username. Our Forum profile page will then appear. On the right, click "Send this user a private message".

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor