Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

11 Posts

July 21st, 2020 12:00

XPS 17 9700, left bottom corner of touchpad not working

On my new XPS 17 9700, the left mouse click in the left bottom corner of the touchpad is not working. It works only from time to time. I have 4K Touch Display.

Not working in Windows 10:
- 2004 (normal boot)
- Safe mode startup: same problem with clicking
- In BIOS ePSA: error cannot be reproduced

I reinstalled the Intel HID Event Filter driver, but this did not help.

Here is the video.

Touchpad was replaced today by Dell, but this did not solve the problem.

1 Message

August 5th, 2020 06:00

I am having exactly the same problem with my XPS 15 9500. 

Somehow, the driver seems to filter touchpad input on the left, upper and right edges if you place your finger directly over the edge. This is especially annoying because also clicks are not registered if you place your finger at the edge, which is really annoying because I am used to click in the lower left corner. 

It is driving me insane. Dell Support told me that the touchpad is completely functional according to the technical parameters and could not offer me any help until now. I just want a software option to disable this "feature".

If you go to the BIOS, you will notice that clicking in the lower left corner works perfectly. I would really appreciate a solution to this problem. 

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

August 9th, 2020 20:00

Mine too. Clicking is very erratic within 1/2 inch of the left or bottom borders.  Very frustrating to use.

Dell is sending a replacement, and if it is the same, the whole shebang is going back.

For $3k you ought to get a decent keyboard and a touchpad that registers clicks whenever you can hear the pad audibly clicks. 

My HP X360 has user adjustable click zones, all handled in the driver. This would be a nice software upgrade for the XPS pads.

Better yet - give it up the clicking on the pad and install some buttons like a P53 - they work every time.

August 11th, 2020 18:00

I am having exactly same issue .Its really frustrating that lower corner buttons randomly do not work. I thought, I was the only one as not many people are talking about it .

Did anyone managed to find solution

11 Posts

August 11th, 2020 21:00

Hello Priyadarshi,

As far as I can say now: I was informed by other users from this post that both XPS 17 9700 and XPS 15 9500 are affected. Maybe other modells too.

Dell Support Team is trying to find a solution. There are different opinions about this issue. Some Dell support teams have reproduced it and think it is a driver issue, which cannot be fixed at the moment. The answer from Dell is that the "touchpad driver cannot be offered by Dell, because the touchpad should be managed by the native Windows driver, which should be integrated directly into the operating system." I am not able to follow this idea. Other Dell teams are still trying to find a solution and try to reproduce. They hope to fix it with a hardware "replacement" in the worst case.

Hope this information helps. Best greetings.

3 Posts

August 29th, 2020 17:00

After moving the cursor with your right finger, left click before you take your right finger off the touchpad.

11 Posts

August 29th, 2020 23:00

@SPrez :

Could you explain what happens when you do that ?

11 Posts

August 30th, 2020 11:00

@SPrez 

perfect , now I got you - Thank you

I tested here and on my XPS 17 9700 I can reproduce exactly what you said.

There is one thing : when you keep the left finger in the bottom left corner and use the right finger to make a selection (e.g. you draw a rectangle on the screen to select files in explorer), then the selection gets lost sometimes, like if you removed the left finger from the touchpad, which you did not

3 Posts

August 30th, 2020 11:00

The left click (lower left corner click) always works for me if after moving the cursor with my right finger, I leave my right finger on the touchpad before doing the left click (pushing the lower left corner with my left finger). If I remove my right finger then do the left click (lower left corner click), it does not always work.

3 Posts

August 30th, 2020 18:00

I haven't use a touchpad for years but there are various options in mouse settings / touchpad that you can tweak to give you the behavior you want but I agree that the left click not working by itself consistently is frustrating.

It seems that that the touchpad is designed better to use single tap for left click and 2 finger tap for right click. I got my XPS17 as a desktop replacement so that when I travel I can take my "desktop" with me. I will probably end up using it with a mouse for the majority of the time. I am just not finding the touchpad to be very efficient to use.

3 Posts

September 1st, 2020 18:00

I am also having this issue. Were you able to find a resolution?

2 Posts

September 2nd, 2020 11:00

I have been using my brandnew XPS 15 9500 for about 3 hours now and am having the exact same issue. Very frustrating. 

11 Posts

September 11th, 2020 06:00

I received a new XPS 17 9700 as replacement from DELL.
It has exactly the same issue, which I described in this ticket.

3 Posts

September 13th, 2020 11:00

Just got an XPS 15 9500 and am having this same issue. The trackpad works fine 75% of the time, and then randomly clicks don't register despite clearly hearing the physical click sound.

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

September 16th, 2020 00:00

I got the exact same issue with my XPS17.

I definately thinkthe issue is software-related.

Since there is only one physical button in the bottom center of the touchpad, the software decides when and which button you pressed depending on your finger's location.

If your finger is positioned in the left bottom area and the button is pressed, then it's a left button press.

Same applies to the right button.

So my guess is that the software thinks it's a finger-"move" and ignores the button pressed-event?

Is there any statement from Dell side to this obvious series failure?

Besides that my touchpad makes an annoying noise when double-tapping it slightly.

11 Posts

September 16th, 2020 09:00

@Dellorianer :

I can only speak about my situation:

I was informed that my "replacement laptop" will be checked for this issue.
If it was checked, the check did not find the issue or it was ignored.
Currently I have the "original" XPS 17 and the "replacement" XPS 17 with same issue.
As I was told the issue is being escalated now. No technical answer till now.
If it is a software bug, a fix would be very welcome.

No Events found!