Unsolved

A

1 Rookie

• 

90 Posts

December 30th, 2021 16:00

XPS 17'' 9710

Hello @jphughan 
i had bought a xps 15 '' but now i want to upgrade to 17 ''.
the new model is called xps 17 '' 9710, i have read that some small problems have been solved with this version. it is true?

or do you advise me to wait for the next model? do you already know the release date (approximately)?

thank you
happy Holidays

1 Rookie

• 

90 Posts

April 2nd, 2022 10:00

@jphughan 

the settings are ok.

when the laptop is attached to the monitor via dockstation, on the 24 '' monitor the settings automatically go to 1920x1200 and 100% zoom.

if I unplug the laptop, the settings on the laptop return to 1920x1200 and 120% zoom.

i think the dockstation does not transfer at full resolution, is this possible?
if I connect the 24 '' monitor to the desktop computer with the same hdmi cable, the quality is better (the desktop computer is a 5/6 year old PC)

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

April 2nd, 2022 11:00

@aleangiulli  I'll just tell you what's wrong even if you didn't follow my suggestion.  No, the problem is not bandwidth on the dock if you're using a single 1920x1080 display.  That dock can handle about 8x more video bandwidth than you're using.  Even if it was in USB-C mode rather than Thunderbolt mode, it would have about 4x more bandwidth than you're using.  And the HDMI output supports HDMI 2.0, which also can handle about 4x more bandwidth than you're using.

The problem is how Windows handles situations where you are simultaneously using displays that use different scale factors, in your case 100% on the 24" display and 125% on your built-in display.  In that situation, Windows will still only render internally at a single scale factor, which will be the scale factor of what display was primary when you logged into Windows.  For any displays using a different scale factor, Windows will continue rendering at its "primary" scale factor and then apply post-render GPU scaling to upsize or downsize the rendered image appropriately for the other displays.  As you might expect, this does not look as good as rendering natively for each display's scale factor -- but Windows doesn't support that.  (Neither does macOS, at least last time I checked.)

Since you're seeing this "not perfect" resolution on your 24" display, it sounds like you have your built-in display set as your primary display.  So Windows is rendering at 125% and then shrinking that rendered image appropriately to resize it for your 24" display's smaller 100% scale factor.  And that's why it doesn't look very good.

Also note that the key point is the display that was primary when you logged onto Windows.  If the primary display changes because a display gets disconnected/connected or simply because you set a different display as primary, that will NOT change the internal rendering scale factor.  That is set when you log onto Windows, so if you want to change it, you would have to log off and back onto Windows when the primary display changes.  If you're thinking that this would be annoying for people who use docking stations with external displays as primary and also disconnect/reconnect from their desk multiple times per day, you're absolutely right.  They have to choose between either dealing with "not perfect" resolution or logging off and back onto Windows as they come and go from their desk to keep things looking good.  But logging off and back on of course closes all of your applications.

So in terms of what you can do about this, you have a few options:

• Set both displays to the same scale factor.  If you choose 100%, then your built-in display's content will look smaller compared to its current 125% scaling.  If you choose 125%, then your 24" display's content will look larger compared to its current 100% scaling.  But both displays will look their best because they'll be using the same scale factor, and therefore no post-render GPU resizing will be needed.
  • Set your 24" display to be primary.  This will fix the problem on that display, but then your built-in display won't look as good because you will essentially be inverting the problem.  (And again, it will also only work for situations where the 24" display was connected when you log onto Windows.)
  • Stop using these two displays simultaneously.
  • Get a different external display that you can use comfortably at 125%. A 27" display with a resolution of 2560x1440 might work, since that is a higher pixel density than 24" 1920x1080, so you might find that you prefer 125% on that type of display anyway.
  • Get a second 24" 1920x1080 external display so you can have two displays without needing to use your built-in display.  Unless you already have a laptop stand, this would be a better solution from an ergonomic standpoint too, since tilting your head between a desk display and a laptop that's lower on the desk is not ideal.
  • Live with it.

1 Rookie

• 

90 Posts

April 2nd, 2022 17:00

Thanks for the reply.
I use the laptop 90% connected to the dockstation, connected to the 24 '' monitor.
the laptop is closed, I do not use the integrated display of the laptop.
I use the integrated display on the laptop only a few times.

I want to give priority to the 24 '' monitor.
so following your advice, I have to set the laptop and the 24-inch monitor the same, at 1920x1200 with 100% zoom.

so when the video is transmitted on the 24 inch monitor, there is no scaling and therefore the video signal is better?

1 Rookie

• 

90 Posts

April 3rd, 2022 12:00

@jphughan 

did you think what I wrote above?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

April 3rd, 2022 13:00

@aleangiulli  Yes, using the same scaling setting is one of the options I suggested, so that should work.

1 Rookie

• 

90 Posts

April 4th, 2022 01:00

@jphughan 

ok, I do some tests and checks. thank you

another strange thing is this .. when I turn on the power strip where the dockstation is attached, the dockstation and the computer automatically turn on.

even when the house power goes out and then comes back, the dockstation and computer turn on automatically.

so whenever there is a flow of electrical current, the dockstation receives a pulse and causes the computer to turn on automatically.

it doesn't have to be that way.
how can i solve in your opinion?

thank you

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

April 4th, 2022 06:00

@aleangiulli  I’m not going to get back into answering questions forever, so I’m just going to say that if that system is like other Dell laptops I’ve used, there’s a BIOS option for that. Some looking around or research should help you there.

1 Rookie

• 

90 Posts

April 9th, 2022 07:00

@jphughan  Hi, maybe I have solved it.

In the bios I have disabled "Usb wake", so when I turn on the power strip the laptop does not turn on. (I think this function is used for server PCs, to turn them on remotely).

But with the power button of the WD19TBS dockstation, the laptop turns on automatically, this is because the dockstation is "compatible" with my XPS 9710.

Thank you

bios 2.jpg

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

April 9th, 2022 08:00

@aleangiulli  Wake on USB isn’t used for servers. Servers typically are never put to sleep in the first place. Wake on USB is used so that you can press a key on an external USB keyboard to wake the system. But that’s not the option I was talking about. There’s another option specifically for Dell docks, at least on some laptops. See here: https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000148152/how-to-disable-wake-on-dell-usb-c-docks

1 Rookie

• 

90 Posts

April 9th, 2022 14:00

@jphughan 

sorry but it is the same option that I put in the photo.

it's called "Wake on Dell USB-C Docks"
it must be deactivated in order not to turn on the computer automatically.

the photo you put, isn't it the same?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

April 9th, 2022 14:00

@aleangiulli  The photo hadn’t been approved for viewing by the time I read your earlier post, so I was just relying on your description of “USB wake”. Yes, that’s the option I was referring to. But yes, if you actually push the power button on the dock, then the laptop will power on. That is normal and intended behavior. You don’t have to turn on the dock itself separately, so there’s no other reason you would have to push the dock’s power button. The only purpose of that button is to power on a compatible Dell laptop.

1 Rookie

• 

90 Posts

April 10th, 2022 03:00

@jphughan 

perfect.
in fact the laptop no longer starts automatically, it turns on only with the power button of the dockstation. this is possible because the dockstation is compatible with my laptop. (thanks for the advice).

also, I have set "enable lid switch" to off, so the laptop does not turn on when I open the lid.

see attached photo.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8bx68dmt3k0qqb/accendi%20con%20coperchio.jpg?dl=0

1 Rookie

• 

90 Posts

October 8th, 2022 00:00

@jphughan 

Hi, how are you?
xps 17 works fine, thanks to your advice.

I would like to ask you a quick question, when I lock the computer (using the "Win + L" keys), the DELL U2415 external monitor turns off.

- if the computer is attached to the monitor without a dockstation, the external monitor remains on with the lock screen.

- if the computer is connected via the dockstation, the monitor turns off a few seconds later.

in your opinion, how can I solve?
a thousand thanks

1 Rookie

• 

90 Posts

October 8th, 2022 05:00

no, the computer is powered by electricity.
it is a problem with some monitors that go into safe power mode as soon as the computer is locked.

thanks anyway

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 8th, 2022 05:00

@aleangiulli  Interesting, I’m not sure what to tell you there. On my own system, when I have it docked and lock it, the displays turn off after about 1 minute. That’s less than the display timeout I have configured in Power Settings, but I figured it was an energy saving thing because most people don’t need to stare at their Lock Screen. However, I don’t know why this behavior would be different based on whether the system is docked. I don’t even know of any settings that can be customized to change docked vs. non-docked display behavior. Unless maybe you’re comparing a docked scenario to a scenario where your displays are directly attached and you’re running on battery power? If so, do you maybe have more aggressive power saving options enabled for “on AC” compared to “on battery power”? If that’s not it, then unfortunately I don’t know what to suggest here. Sorry!

No Events found!