Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

August 22nd, 2020 06:00

XPS 17 L702x Motherboard replacement

I have found a company that supplies refurbished motherboards.
They have 2 which only differ by a code (SKU?) at the end of their description.
Codes are JJVYM and the other is P4N30.
How may I compare those codes to my existing motherboard which is failing intermittently?
Or, do I even need to?

The US company is closed for the weekend, so I'm hoping for an answer before I order as this is urgent.
I am in Switzerland now due to lockdown, and must get my laptop operational ASAP.
Thank you

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

Those two boards are functionally identical.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

Welcome to the Dell Community @NilsArne 

Remove the "Main Battery"

Remove the "Memory Cover"

Look for a label on the memory connectors or on the system board under the memory.

There you should find the Part Number for your System Board.

XPS 17 (L702x) Service Manual:

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

Thank you so much for the prompt reply ejn63!
I am sooo happy to place the order now!!!!

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 24th, 2020 05:00

@NilsArne 

Remove the memory.

This model has 4 memory slots yours may have only 2???

PPID.PNG

The label on top of the PPID (Piece Part Identification) is the part number for the system board.

Regards,

U2

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

August 24th, 2020 06:00

Be careful with the 4- vs 2- soDIMM boards.  You can't swap one for the other without also changing the display and display wiring harness on this model.

The screen and cable for the 2-soDIMM boards (most of them) will not fit the 4-soDIMM board (and vice-versa), as the display connectors are of different physical size and electrical specification.

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

August 24th, 2020 08:00

Thanks a million for the heads-up
My original board has 2 x DIMM (with 8MB) each and the newly ordered one has the same 2 x DIMM configuration.
PartsPeople have confirmed, as you also did, that the 2 boards are functionally identical.
My order has just shipped right now - arriving Thursday/Friday with international shipping to me in Switzerland.
I will post when my lovely 'old' XPS is back on the road :-)))
Thanks,

Magnus

44 Posts

March 20th, 2022 16:00

Well, it's been a while now. How's your L702x with the replacement board?

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

March 21st, 2022 04:00

Thanks for remembering
All is well - just a minor glitch once in a while with the onboard GPU which has a little fit sometimes - the screen pixelates, then flashes and resets itself - a little bit annoying, but it doesn't break anything.
Thanks again to all for the help

44 Posts

March 21st, 2022 08:00

Good to know. I have the same problem with two XPS replacements back when I first bought this in 2011, happened just within a couple of weeks time. The screen would 'flash' like a camera taking a picture once in a blue moon. Now it is flickering like heck and the Intel drivers would reset itself whenever that happens. The screen would also displays different solid colors and sometimes it would 'dump' with a BSOD and shuts down. Tried all the video drivers, and then replaced a nice AUO screen but still did not help. I think my motherboard is on its last stage, being with the fault of the GPU I suppose. If so hoping that'll be the only problem, otherwise what a waste because I've grown to love this laptop. It has many features that today's laptop is lacking. Still running Windows 7 64-bit. It is fast and responsive. Might upgrade to Windows 10 and see if that fixes, if not then I'll have to source a motherboard and hope that'll fix it. But good to know that you're still utilizing it.

44 Posts

April 22nd, 2022 02:00

I am happy to report that my screen flickering problem is solved after a motherboard replacement. Apparently the embedded video card (gpu) on the mb is fried. Initially, I replaced the screen but that didn't help and obviously not the problem. I needed to replace it also as gray lines were developing on my panel and spreading so that worked out great. Bought an AU Optronics 17.3" matte FHD. Anyway, so far so good after a week of usage with the new MB without any flickering and BSOD shutdowns. I also replaced all the 1mm 'thermal pads' inside, especially on the Intel GPU. For the nVidia GPU and CPU, I use Arctic MX-4 thermal paste. Fixed!

No Events found!