Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

2 Posts

November 28th, 2019 13:00

XPS 1820 battery issue

Hi there,

in my XPS 1820, I had an old battery (almost 4 years), had problems with 'plugged in not charging' a few times. But always managed to solve it by disconnecting the power, draining the battery to 0, and it worked. Then, due to short operating time I had to replaced it with a new one (not Dell original, cause they're not available any more, but it is surely a good substitute).

At the beginning it seemed to charge correctly but after 45-60 mins I noticed it was not charging. I tried to work on battery till 0%, tried to drain it and reconnected the AC power, but it didn't get the charging started.

Since then, I have to work only with power cord connected to the XPS additional base. The battery icon shows: 0% available (plugged in). There is even no info "charging/not charging"...

I've tried uninstalling the "Microsoft acpi-compliant control method battery" and restarting the system.

Please, can anybody help?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 30th, 2019 07:00

" due to short operating time I had to replaced it with a new one (not Dell original, cause they're not available any more, but it is surely a good substitute) "

---------------------------------------------------

Third party batteries usually doesn't last as long as a battery purchased from Dell. You could contact the seller to see if there's any warranty on the battery. Now, to make sure battery isn't failing, you could run Dell eSPA Preboot diagnostic to check the battery health. You could do this by following the steps below. 

1. Power off system.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F12 key continuously until you see Preparing One Time Boot Menu in top right corner of screen. In Dell Preboot menu, select Diagnostic. After test finished, select Primary Battery and then click Thorough Test Mode. Report back any error code on the battery.

How to Troubleshoot Dell Laptop Battery Issues | Dell US

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln292953/how-to-troubleshoot-dell-laptop-battery-issues?lang=en

Also check the status of the AC adapter and Battery health in the BIOS. Please do the same steps above but tap the F2 key to get into the BIOS setup. The AC adapter should say it's type, if it says None or Unknown then it's most likely a faulty adapter or damaged DC jack. Keep in mind, a faulty adapter will continue to power computer but will not charge the battery 

Note: Please wiggle the AC adapter's end or charging port while checking adapter in the BIOS. This will help determine if the DC Jack is loose or damaged.

How to Troubleshoot AC Adapter Issues? | Dell US

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln128918/how-to-troubleshoot-ac-adapter-issues?lang=en

2 Posts

December 16th, 2019 02:00

Hi, thank you for the tips. I have finally taken my 1820 to professional service point. They've run several deep diagnostics, and finally replied that the problem will not disappear until I put an original Dell battery inside. The replacement battery probably does not have needed electronics to communicate with the motherboard correctly, so the computer keeps treating the battery as non existent or faulty. The battery itself has 100% health.

Dell officially does not sell original batteries for 1820 any more...

So I'll probably have to replace the whole machine... sadly.

Thx anyway,

tryb

No Events found!