Unsolved

N

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

January 23rd, 2020 05:00

XPS 7590 HDMI not working after sleep

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 7590 and I've connected two Dell 4K monitors, one via USB-C -> DisplayPort and the other one via HDMI.

My problem is that sometimes, after sleep, the HDMI connection stops working, leaving me with only one monitor. The even stranger thing is that a restart of the computer doesn't help, I have to shut down, wait, and then start for the monitor to start working again. Obviously I've tried to turn the monitor on and off, reconnect the cable etc.

Can I debug and fix this? Or should I just accept that I have to shut down the computer and start it again sometimes? i guess it's no big deal, takes like a minute.

272 Posts

January 23rd, 2020 06:00

Have you tried updating the necessary drivers?

Have you tried setting up the HDMI monitor from the Control Panel > Hardware and sound > Devices and Printer?

If that doesn't work try this:

Try installing the latest BIOS and DisplayPort MST hub firmware update for your system; the latter pertains to a built-in device, not an external peripheral as is usually the case when discussing MST hubs.  Both updates are available on support.dell.com.

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

January 23rd, 2020 06:00

It's not showing up in device manager or in devices and printers.

BIOS is the latest version. DisplayPort MST hub is not a device I can find in the device manager and no firmware update sounding like that one shows up on the dell support driver site for my system. (https://www.dell.com/support/home/se/sv/sebsdt1/product-support/product/xps-15-7590-laptop/drivers)

Wouldn't the Dell Update software have found any updated drivers for my system?

Is the best system debugging really just to try to upgrade drivers? Aren't there error/diagnostic logs and the like that you can look at?

17 Posts

January 27th, 2020 09:00

I have the exact same problem. 
HDMI port suddenly stopped working. Interestingly, I could use the external monitor using a USB-C->HDMI converter. 
Restart did not fix the problem but turning the laptop off and on brought the HDMI back to life (Thanks to @norpan's comment). 

Any comment from Dell support?

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

January 29th, 2020 01:00

I got a bit tired of pulling and plugging all the cables each time I take my laptop from my desk, so I got a WD19TB (so now I only have to pull and plug one cable), plugging in my monitors to the dock's Thunderbolt and HDMI ports and I haven't had the problem since.

So maybe it's just a problem with the laptop's built-in HDMI port.

Getting a $300 dock just to solve this problem is an expensive solution though

1 Message

February 20th, 2020 04:00

I'm experiencing the exact same issue, intermittently. I have a Dell u2718q monitor connected to a XPS 7590's HDMI port. Sometimes after sleep the connection to the monitor is lost. Unplugging the cable has no effect, and neither does a restart. The only fix is to shut down the machine and then power up again. This sometimes results in a secondary problem where upon restarting the machine it hangs on the sign-up screen and eventually returns a blue screen with stop code: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

The laptop has all the latest Bios and driver updates. This is very frustrating, and I'm just wondering if anyone has found a fix for this? Could this be a hardware issue?

3 Posts

February 24th, 2020 03:00

Having exact same issue. Did you find a solution yet? 

1 Message

March 2nd, 2020 12:00

Same issue with my XPS.  The HDMI port worked in the past, no issues, then suddenly I can not detect an external monitor to project to at all.  The HDMI port appears to be dead. Was there a recent Windows update that may have created this bug????

1 Message

April 5th, 2020 00:00

Exact the same problem here !!

• Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
  • BIOS-version/date Dell Inc. 1.5.0, 25/12/2019
  • NIVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 26.21.14.4145 (26/11/2019)

1 Message

April 17th, 2020 16:00

I've had the same problem, and it eventually went away every time. (I didn't realize that shutting down did the trick until I found this thread). It's bizarre that rebooting doesn't do anything. 

Same as everyone here - yes, I checked my drivers, yes, they're up to date. It'd be appreciated if someone from Dell could chime in and at least acknowledge the issue. 

1 Message

April 28th, 2020 10:00

So no solution yet?

I have the same problem. I can only connect with USB-C dongle to HDMI and mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort. HDMI to HDMI doesn't work.

1 Message

April 29th, 2020 00:00

same problem here, only shutdown, wait a minute, and start again solves the problem.

talking to a company (around 20people) where everyone has a dell xps 7590 they all have the same problem.

DELL its about the details (at least you advertise with it)
this is a detail which realy

1 Message

May 8th, 2020 10:00

Same issue. Happens intermittently. I have to shut down and re-boot. Otherwise, no external monitor.

This really sticks when I am in the middle of a project and need to shut all my files and programs, shut down, restart, and then open everything up again and figure out where I was beforehand. Huge disruption and waste of time.

Dell, please fix this.

Thanks

1 Message

May 15th, 2020 17:00

Hello,

same issue with my Inspiron 15 7590 laptop !

Please Dell correct that !

Really annoying

4 Posts

May 18th, 2020 05:00

I have the same issue. Happened a couple of times yesterday. How often does this happen with others ?. I am still within my 14 days returns period. I might send it back if it happens again. I rather not spend £1500 on a laptop that has this kind of issues.

1 Message

June 2nd, 2020 17:00

Same model and same issue here,

Any updates on this?

No Events found!