Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

2 Posts

April 15th, 2020 03:00

XPS 9300 Thunderbolt Hub issue

Hi everyone,

I am sorry if this has been asked before and I was too stupid to find it or it is an obvious issue that I missed, this is my first thunderbolt device.

I got a new Dell XPS 9300 Laptop from work together with a Usb c "hub" device (apparently this one).

Plugging in the hub and attaching a monitor via HDMI seems to work. I do not have the flickering issue that some describe here. Also charging the laptop via this hub works, but Windows claims that "a slow charger is connected". This does not happen when I connect the charger directly.

None of the other ports seem to work for the laptop however. Connecting a mouse, a keyboard or a flash drive does not result in any reaction. It neither works nor appears in the device manager. Also combining a working instance (the monitor connection) and a non-working device (e.g. the mouse) does not change anything for any device; monitor still works, mouse/keyboard still does not.

Together with the new laptop, Dell shipped a Usb c adapter. This one also connects to thunderbolt and has a single Usb A output. On this adapter, the keyboard and the mouse work for all thunderbolt connectors.

Also, connecting the aforementioned hub to my android phone and plugging in a mouse or a keyboard results in a working mouse/keyboard for the android device.

Futile tries to resolve the problem:

SupportAssist complete hardware scan: no issues.
Bios is updated.
Windows is updated.
Device manager driver was uninstalled, newly installed and updated.
Downloading the current drivers for the device on the Dell support page (via the support tag).
Checking the Bios for settings that could be responsible (feel free to offer som advice, I may have missed something).
Bios Hardware check: no issues.

System: Windows 10, dual boot with linux (behaves exactly the same, no entries even in dmesg for the hub and devices connected to it).

Hopefully someone has a clue how to resolve the issue

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 15th, 2020 07:00

@rtzu6  the "Slow charger" message occurs because "mini-dock" adapters that support power passthrough such as this one will often skim some power from the power source for themselves in order to run their own internal electronics rather than drawing it from the system.  The reason is that USB Power Delivery supports running power in either direction, but not both directions simultaneously, so the adapter can't pass power through to the system and DRAW power FROM the system to run itself.  But as a result of this, the wattage being passed through to the system is less than the total wattage available from the power source.  Since the XPS 13 only requires a 45W power source, one option would be to purchase a 60W USB-C charger, in which case there will likely be 45W available to pass through even after the "mini-dock" has claimed what it needs -- but without knowing the exact amount of power that particular adapter reserves for itself, I can't know for sure.

As for the USB ports not working, does it make a difference whether you have the external power source plugged into the adapter?  And does it matter whether you try the USB 3.0 port or USB 2.0 ports on the adapter?  If it still fails even under all of those conditions, then you've already run the tests that I would have thought to run, so I can't immediately account for why USB data would work from your USB-C port using a simple dongle and the adapter's USB hub would work when used with another device, even though the adapter's USB hub seemingly won't exchange USB data with your system.

2 Posts

April 15th, 2020 07:00

Thanks for your time.

No, it does not matter if the power source is plugged in while using other peripherals. Also, the port does not matter, I tried all combinations (with/without power, with/without HDMI, each of the three USB ports). Thank you anyway.

May 15th, 2020 04:00

Same behaviour for me. I also have win 10 and Ubuntu installed. Ethernet and HDMI work good, USB doesn't. The adapter in a GenesysLogic. In Ubuntu, with dmesg, I got the following error

usb 3-8-port1: cannot reset (err = -71) GenesysLogic

2 Posts

May 31st, 2020 19:00

I have the same issue with a very similar hub, I think is not fully compatible , I will try another brand 

2 Posts

July 4th, 2020 11:00

I'm getting the same issue - in my 9-in-1 hub HDMI and ethernet work, but keyboard+mouse (USB 2 devices) do not.

No Events found!