Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 30th, 2020 01:00

XPS 9300 with WD19 dock only displays 1 external monitor at 4k at 30Hz, not 60Hz

Hi,

I have an XPS 13 9300 and an external monitor S3221QS which has a native resolution of 3840x2160.  When I connect them directly with a USB-C to DisplayPort cable I can achieve this 4k resolution at 60Hz.  All fine.

I just purchased a WD19 dock which I connect to the 9300 via USB-C.  When I connect the S3221QS monitor to the WD19 (either DisplayPort or HDMI) I can achieve a resolution of 3840x2160 but only at 30Hz, not 60Hz.

I bought the WD19 because in its user guide it says the maximum resolution for a single display is "DP1.4/HDMI2.0/MFDP Type-C: 4K (3840 x 2160) @60 Hz" if the displayport is HBR3.  I believe the XPS 9300 is HBR3, so this should be ok.

I have updated BIOS, firmware and drivers for both the laptop and the WD19.

Does anyone know why I cant achieve 60Hz with this set-up? Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

August 30th, 2020 08:00

@bs198  The XPS 13 9300 is indeed a DisplayPort HBR3 system, and therefore if you only have a single display connected to the dock, you should indeed be able to run it at 4K 60 Hz.  However, there have been several reports on the forum of various issues involving the XPS 13 9300's USB-C/TB3 ports.  Several people are having problems running dual 4K 60 Hz through a WD19TB, which should also be possible; others are having trouble even using simple USB-C to DisplayPort/HDMI cables or dongles.  So I suspect this is a firmware issue with the system.  The next BIOS release to bring the system to 1.2.0 is slated for release on September 4.  I know that because I've been escalating the issue with the USB-C to DP/HDMI adapters internally within Dell, and they've told me that that BIOS release is expected to resolve that.  But it may also contain other fixes for other problem scenarios, including this one.  Since you've already updated firmware and drivers both for the system and dock and tried multiple outputs on the dock, I can't think of anything left you can do today since this should simply work, but if you can, I'd suggest keeping an eye out for that BIOS update to see if it fixes the issue.

If not, then I suppose there's always the third-party option.  The XPS 13 only requires a 45W power source, which lots of docks can provide, although regular USB-C docks that support DisplayPort HBR3 systems are still somewhat uncommon.  But even there you could use a Thunderbolt 3 dock, which would allow up to dual 4K 60 Hz displays even if it only supported HBR2.  CalDigit has the TS3+ and USB-C Pro Dock models, both of which (despite the name of the latter) support TB3 and both of which are popular.  The caveats there are that a) going third party means you wouldn't be able to have a Power button on the dock that controlled the system, as you do now, and b) in fairness, I'm not sure the XPS 13 9300 behaves any better with third party docks right now.  The problem reports I mentioned earlier revolve around the WD19TB, which other than Thunderbolt support is quite similar to the WD19, but that means at this point it's not clear if this is just an interoperability issue with the specific combination of the XPS 13 9300 and Dell WD19 dock family models, or an issue with the XPS 13 9300 that will occur even with other hardware.

2 Posts

August 30th, 2020 10:00

@jphughan thanks very much for the comprehensive response - appreciated.

I will keep a look out for the updated BIOS and hopefully that solves the issue.

I have also read about some of the problems with the 9300's USB-C ports so suspected this might be related.  Interestingly I couldn't connect the monitor directly to the 9300 with a USB-C-HDMI cable and when I called Dell technical support I was told it is not possible to use this laptop with an HDMI output (even with adapter) and I MUST use DisplayPort which I thought was odd.

Also, when I run the hardware scans in the 'Support Assist' software, everything runs fine apart from the "USB Composite" scan which says it was unable to run.  When I mentioned this to technical support on the phone they said not all scans apply to every laptop, so I should just ignore this.

As you say, hopefully the new BIOS update sorts out these issues.

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

August 30th, 2020 10:00

@bs198  Happy to help.  Sorry to hear you got such bad information from Dell Support, although I can't say I'm surprised.  Just last week I saw a post here from someone who was told by Dell Support that their XPS 13 couldn't run 4K external displays because they ordered an XPS 13 with a 1080p built-in display, and they needed a 4K built-in display to run 4K external displays -- which is completely wrong.  USB-C to HDMI adapters/cables incorporate an active signal converter chip to switch the system's DisplayPort signal over to HDMI.  It is true that even apart from the current issues that seem to affect the XPS 13 9300 specifically, these active converter chips can be subject to interoperability issues.  I've seen multiple people who reported problems using various Dell laptops with USB-C to HDMI adapters even though they noted that the adapter worked fine with other systems.  After walking them through some basic troubleshooting, I basically said, "It's either a motherboard issue with your system [they didn't have another way to test USB-C video output] or an interoperability issue with that specific system and adapter.  Since the former would be a huge ordeal, you might want to try just getting another brand of USB-C to HDMI adapter.  Even though it shouldn't make a difference, it might."  I've made that suggestion about 5 times here now, and all 5 times that solved the issue.  Unfortunately not everything that SHOULD work in the tech world always DOES, and therefore sometimes changes that shouldn't make a difference will make a difference anyway.

Anyhow, it is absolutely NOT true that the XPS 13 9300 can't use any USB-C to HDMI adapters/cables at all.  In fact, the system actually wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that and a USB-C to DP adapter/cable in the first place, because again the system is always sending a DisplayPort signal anyway.  And even with the current XPS 13 9300 issues, there are some users reporting success using specific brands of USB-C to HDMI adapters.  I'd also be curious how that Dell Support person would explain the ability to use the WD19's HDMI output if the XPS 13 9300 didn't support HDMI displays....

As for the hardware scans, I don't use SupportAssist, so I'm not sure exactly what that test was, but I'm a bit skeptical of that answer that not all tests are applicable to all systems.  That may be true, but in that case I would expect that SupportAssist would say something like "Not applicable" rather than "Unable to run".  But I don't know that for sure.

2 Posts

October 20th, 2020 04:00

Hi,

Any idea when the BIOS update will be available to XPS 15 9560?

In my case, the monitor is connected to my XPS 15 9560 directly throw an HDMI cable, and it can only work at 4k 60Hz. I also tried to connect the monitor a a WD 15 USB-C dock then connect the dock to my laptop through the USB-C port, and the result is the same.

I wonder if my laptop supports 4k@60Hz, because it is the old XPS 15 9560 which was released around 2017.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 20th, 2020 08:00

@rXtJ1RwL  You say that your display "can only work at 4K 60 Hz."  Did you mean to say 30 Hz there?  If so, that's expected in your setups because the XPS 15 9560's HDMI output is only HDMI 1.4, not HDMI 2.0.  You need HDMI 2.0 to run 4K 60 Hz, but that didn't arrive until the XPS 15 9570.  As for the WD15, that can only run a single display at 4K 30 Hz because of bandwidth limitations when using a regular USB-C dock rather than a Thunderbolt 3 dock.  If you got a WD19TB, which uses Thunderbolt 3, you'd be able to run dual 4K 60 Hz displays (or triple 1440p displays) because the WD19TB when paired with that system can tap into 4x more display bandwidth than a WD15 (or regular WD19).  I wrote an explainer post about this here.

1 Message

December 21st, 2020 23:00

@ links to members:
I have the same problem with my XPS 13 9310 and WD19 connecting to AOC U28P2G6B 4k monitor. Initially, when I first connect to the monitor it was able to produce 60Hz 4K resolution as an extended screen for XPS 9310, but on the next day it changed automatically back to 30Hz 4k, and I could not find a way to change it back to 60Hz 4K resolution. 
When I use the DA300 portable dock, it produces 60Hz 4k resolution on the same monitor.

January 26th, 2024 14:02

I had a similar issue with my WD19 + Microsoft Surface Laptop 4. Enabling DSC on the laptop resolved issues for me.
See thread here:

https://www.dell.com/community/en/conversations/inspiron/wd19-dock-doesnt-output-4k-60hz-on-hbr3-system/647f9c1cf4ccf8a8de0253b8?commentId=647f9c51f4ccf8a8de06a80c 

No Events found!