Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 29th, 2021 06:00

XPS 9310 & SanDisk Extreme 2Tb SSD: sleep mode?

I've upgraded from a mechanical 2Tb external HDD to a SanDisk Extreme 2Tb SSD. It's super fast when in use, but when I'm inactive for a period of time (as little as a couple of minutes) it seems to enter some sort of sleep mode. Any activity that would use the drive takes a long time to get going, often 10-20 seconds, but then it's full speed again.

That makes anything mundane like copying files very slow - particularly because Windows "locks up" whist waiting for the drive to get going.

I'm now on Windows 11, but the problem was there with Windows 10 too.

Is there a way to stop the SSD from entering sleep mode (if that is what it is)?

5 Practitioner

• 

2.8K Posts

November 29th, 2021 12:00

You are right, that procedure is supposed to work, but unfortunately it doesn't...

In the end the only thing that I've found to work 100% of the times is small utilities like NoSleepHD2.0, that writes an empty txt file every few minutes, so your external harddrive can never go to sleep. Works with autostart, so you don't have to remember to run it at every boot (run it as admin).

5 Practitioner

• 

2.8K Posts

November 29th, 2021 09:00

USB peripherals are suspended after some time you are not using it, it's been argued for years now, theoretically there's a way to stop it from happening, here's a quick article that shows how to do it, but it won't work. It never works. Then you can follow this article and you can uncheck the USB drive you don't want windows to suspend. But... it won't work! It's been the same for so many years now... I'm so sorry!

November 29th, 2021 12:00

14 Posts

November 30th, 2021 01:00

Disabling sleep mode for USB devices Windows didn't do it unfortunately, but I'll give NoSleepHD a go. Thanks!

1 Message

February 10th, 2022 01:00

The problem is a windows setting that turns off the USB port as a power saving function. This needs to be turned off within the 'Device Manager'.

So hit the 'Windows Key' and type 'Device Manager'. Once opened scroll down to the device group called 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers'. When expanded you can see two options at the bottom called 'USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)'. Right click on the first one and select 'Properties'. Select the tab marked 'Power Management' and UNTICK the option marked 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power', and click OK. Complete the same process on the second USB Root Hub. This does not need a reboot.

Another thing I would recommend just for speeding up the drive is while in Device Manager. Expand the 'Disk drives' devices and right click on your 'SanDisk Extreme drive' and select 'Properties'. Open the tab for 'Policies' and seclect 'Better performance' then the tick box for 'Enable write caching on the device', then click OK. This doesn't relate to your issue, but will add a boost to the drive.

Hope this is helpful.

14 Posts

February 16th, 2022 00:00

Thanks. I'll give that a go as well. It's actually been fine since December. Not sure what I did except disabling sleep mode, but I've not needed to use NoSleepHD either. 

1 Message

January 29th, 2023 12:00

I tried every solution mentioned to no avail. My very fast computer with a very fast external Sandisk ssd drive had a few seconds of lag time every time I accessed it. Yikes! FINALLY, I discovered this and rebooted. NO LAG!

image.png

1 Message

March 20th, 2024 16:45

I’m running a 7706 2in1 on Win10 with latest Driver. In addition to @joanrobins suggestion above, I had to set 2 reg hacks, that brings back 2 Energy options, that were hidden before and only this did it finally for me, no more delay or sleep on my SanDisk 2TB Extreme external here.
Of course, use it only if you know about registry and after a reg b-u & sys back-up, on your own risk:
https://www.windowspage.de/tipps/022809.html after that set to active

https://www.windowspage.de/tipps/022887.html after set to no savings

No Events found!