Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 29th, 2019 16:00

XPS 9350 Windows Update 1903 - Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Intel RST)

I have an XPS 9350, and when I attempt to update to the 1903 windows update I get the following message:

/

The inbox storage driver iastora.sys doesn't work on these systems and causes stability problems on Windows. Check with your software/driver provider for an updated version that runs on this version of windows.

/

I clicked on the link for more information, and saw that I needed to update the driver to the recommended version, 15.9.6.1044. This was unsuccessful, and so I tried the latest version directly from Intel. I rebooted through all of these attempts.

The same error message occurs despite the version of the driver that I have.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

July 31st, 2019 11:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @johnptd  and @Brickedd 

Windows 10 May 2019 Update (build 1903) fails to install due to an out-of-date Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln318140/windows-10-may-2019-update-build-1903-fails-...

If the W10 update fails after updating the (Intel® RST) driver or if there is no updated driver for your model then you can work through the following steps:

1. Navigate to the C:\windows\system32\drivers folder in Windows Explorer.
  2. Locate the IASTORA.sys file.
  3. Right-click on the file and select Rename to change the filename to IASTORA.old
  4. Run the Windows May 10 2019 Update again.

If needed the latest (Intel® RST) driver can be found here:

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28966/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interf...

Best regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

July 31st, 2019 12:00

@MagicUK  and @johnptd 

Some models have been updated from the February/March 2019 update but not all.

I believe this to be more of a workaround than a fix???

After the Windows 1903 update is installed please try installing the latest "Intel RST" update???

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28966/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005

Best regards,

U2

NOTE: Please post back with all results so others can benefit.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 5th, 2019 23:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @Glork 

Windows 10 May 2019 Update (build 1903) fails to install due to an out-of-date Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln318140/windows-10-may-2019-update-build-1903-fails-...

If the W10 update fails after updating the (Intel® RST) driver or if there is no updated driver for your model then you can work through the following steps:

1. Navigate to the C:\windows\system32\drivers folder in Windows Explorer.
  2. Locate the IASTORA.sys file.
  3. Right-click on the file and select Rename to change the filename to IASTORA.old
  4. Run the Windows May 10 2019 Update again.

If needed the latest (Intel® RST) driver can be found here:

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28966/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interf...

Best regards,

U2

380 Posts

July 29th, 2019 23:00

There is an issue with the update of the RST drivers. Apparently the update is not removing the old drivers. Consequently when you run the v1903 upgrade, it is still finding the old drivers on your system. See the information on this thread in TenForums:

https://www.tenforums.com/installation-upgrade/137337-i-updated-rst-drivers-still-get-1903-update-error-3.html

If you have updated the RST drivers to the recommended level, then you have two options: (1) rename the old drivers still existing on your system, or (2) use the Media Creation Tool to create the install with the .iso or USB flash drive.

JohnD

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 30th, 2019 09:00

What device on your system is using the iastora.sys driver?  If you don't know how to find out, ask.

2 Posts

I have the same problem with my Dell XPS 13.

Elsewhere on the net other Dell users have got round the issue by switching to AHCI mode in the BIOS.

I've not tried this yet... hoping a patched Intel RST driver is released by Dell soon!

Cheers,

Neil.

3 Posts

It is a storage controller for my ssd on the system.

3 Posts

I will try this, and come back with an update, thank you!

2 Posts

July 31st, 2019 15:00

I bit the bullet and installed version 17 from the links above and renamed the old driver file as instructed. 

Now the update downloads but sits forever at "initializing.

Tried various suggestions from the web but to no avail. 

Edit: Download Windows 10 Update Trouble Shooter from Microsoft. Failed to run, so booted into Safe Mode and ran there. This fixed my update database and now the update installs. Phew.

1 Message

August 5th, 2019 14:00

Tried this and my system did not want to boot Windows anymore. Got into the system restore menu and got into low level command prompt. Renamed the file back to the original name and rebooted. Now fortunately windows booted up again 

1 Message

August 5th, 2019 21:00

Not solved. I followed those steps. The computer refused to boot. I ran the offered diagnostics, and the computer eventually booted. I checked, and saw that the file I'd named iaStorA.old had been turned back into iaStorA.sys. And Windows Update still refuses to run. 

So, NOT SOLVED. 

2 Posts

August 8th, 2019 13:00

Hey! The same thing happened to me!  How did you fix it??

• 

16.7K Posts

August 9th, 2019 07:00

Oily c,

Click here for information on the IRST Driver.

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number

2 Posts

August 9th, 2019 21:00

Thanks for reply.

Unfortunately I had to totally reinstall Windows from a USB using the windows creation tool.  It now works but it's two days out of my life speaking with Dell out of warranty repair group.

I'd suggest people do not try this fix at home - although I've no evidence to say that it wasn't just a "regular" update corruption issue.

Thanks everyone.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 10th, 2019 10:00

@BrickeddIf the driver is being used on your SATA controller, perhaps updating your Intel SATA driver will help and move it to the iastorac.sys driver.  If not, it may have to go to the storahci.sys driver which is a Windows basic SATA driver.

I have one system which will not use the newer drivers and it is in that situation now.  If you need to change the driver, set msconfig.exe to boot your system into safe mode and make changes there.  When you are finished, reset msconfig.exe to boot back to normal mode.  You may have to work on when you rename the iastora.sys to .old but if you are in and will reboot into SAFE MODE, you should be OK.

No Events found!