Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

33 Posts

December 3rd, 2019 13:00

XPS 9360 Battery ONLY charge through USB-C.

Hello to everyone,

The Dell power adapter is not being recognized. The device is plugged in but not charging. I have tried another Dell charger which i know works fine to no effect here.

When i plug a regular charger the frontal light stay on for about 5 seconds - as it should normaly do when charging - then turn off.

See attached 2 screen shots.

Battery is working fine. I can charge it fully with my spare Dell USB-C charger (photo taken before i plug it with it).

There is a message with both Dell charger saying that they are not recognized?! Both legit Dell charger which WORK perfectly on my other XPS 9360 laptop.

Healthy BatteryHealthy BatteryNot recognized legit Dell charger?!Not recognized legit Dell charger?!

I have tried:

Plugged in a couple of working AC adapters directly in different rooms to no effect.

I have uninstalled the Microsoft ACPI-compliant control method battery from device manager and re-install to no effect.

The charger port was even replaced (brand new) to no effect.

I did not try downgrading the BIOS yet...not certain it will be a fix either?

Plugged a Dell USB-C charger and it worked but it should not be a long term solution.

Any idea or solution please?

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 3rd, 2019 14:00

@Fab_Bear  if AC adapters that you have confirmed are good via testing with other systems are showing up as unrecognized and the battery charges properly over USB-C, then the fix will be either replacing the AC adapter jack (if that's a separate part on that system) or the entire motherboard (if it's not).  If the system is still under warranty, I would contact Dell to arrange a repair.  If not and the AC adapter jack is a separate part, that part should be very inexpensive and easy to find and install.  If you need a whole new motherboard, you might decide it makes more sense to simply rely only on USB-C power sources, although that admittedly might be difficult if you have other USB-C devices that don't supply power given that the system only has one USB-C port.

No Events found!