Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

108 Posts

January 10th, 2019 11:00

XPS 9360 Killer card

I realize that this is not a new observation but my new XPS 9360 laptop connected to the home router at a speed of around 50 mbps down and up. My iPhone X sitting immediately in front of the laptop connects at 250 down and up. I did usual troubleshooting, updating the Bios and applying Windows 10 1803 patches. I updated the driver and disabled and reenabled the adapter, rebooting several times. I finally uninstalled the adapter and deleted the driver files. On rebooting, the adapter was not found and I hooked to the internet with a wired Ethernet connection looking for advice. After rebooting several more times the adapter was enabled but would not connect to the internet. More reboots and driver updates and it finally worked for a few minutes then disappeared again. My conclusion is that the card is defective. Any suggestions short of trying to get Dell to replace the card with an Intel model or installing one myself? Neither option makes sense with a new machine and I plan to send it back during the initial 30 day period.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

January 10th, 2019 12:00

Thank you for your message. Do you see the card or any unknown devices in device manager, check show disabled devices & check if the card is detected?

What is the BIOS version installed?

Make sure that the wireless is enabled ( wireless switch in BIOS) Fn+ PrtScr

In BIOS- Wireless- Wireless device enable – make sure that WLAN & BT is enabled.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to locate the service tag

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 10th, 2019 14:00

Many of the 13 inch models have Wi-Fi cards which are soldered in place.  You might check your service manual to see if you can tell if yours does.

The original installs of the Killer Control Center and Smartbytes have been problematic.  Uninstalling Smartbytes may help and make sure you have not entered your actual network speed in the Killer Control panel. 

The last time I installed a Killer card, which I installed on one system, I downloaded the control center and drivers from Rivet Networks.  I did not reinstall Smartbytes.

108 Posts

January 10th, 2019 16:00

Thank you for your message. Do you see the card or any unknown devices in device manager, check show disabled devices & check if the card is detected?   No unknown, disabled devices

What is the BIOS version installed? Whatever was available 2 days ago

Make sure that the wireless is enabled ( wireless switch in BIOS) Fn+ PrtScr   Certainly enabled--does connect and I have enabled/disabled in the network screens and on the device menus

In BIOS- Wireless- Wireless device enable – make sure that WLAN & BT is enabled. Both CT and wireless work

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

I cannot find where to click.

108 Posts

January 10th, 2019 19:00

Bios version 2.10.0 9/27/2018

108 Posts

January 11th, 2019 11:00

The Smartbytes software is not installed and I deleted the Killer Control Center. I have to see what improved if anything.

108 Posts

January 11th, 2019 17:00

I have followed the troubleshooting tips you provided here and in the private message. Specifically I did hardware tests, which were ok, and created a new admin user but the same slow connect speeds were still present. I reinstalled drivers and did network troubleshooting. The end result is that the system continues to operate exactly as it did on initial startup--wireless connection speed of 50-60 up and down when my iphone x next to the laptop is getting 250 down and up. So I am shipping it back.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

January 14th, 2019 03:00

I understand what you are calling out. I see that you had already raised a request for a refund. We strive to provide a great customer experience for all of our customers. I regret we missed the mark in your case. 

No Events found!