Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

January 31st, 2018 22:00

XPS 9370 Fan Noise

When sitting idle (not seeing any heavy usage for anything in task manager over 10% anyway), how loud should these fans be? If I'm sitting here not even using it with the power adapter plugged in it seriously sounds like the fans are at full blast sometimes.. Seems like when I unplug the charger it slows down after a few seconds then eventually they turn off. Is this normal? It is kind of annoying for $1700 laptop to make so much noise just sitting idle, but if theres nothing to do about it, it is what it is. Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 6th, 2018 05:00

@rg-butler i'll drop you a private message to get a few details from you.

Alan

1 Message

September 24th, 2018 09:00

This solution helped for me, thanks !

I first tried plenty of settings, such as listed here: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Fan-noise-on-XPS-13-9370/td-p/6043110

After updating the registry and then downsizing the Maxmium processor state, the fan noise disappeared ... cross our fingers it will remain like this now ...

3 Posts

October 14th, 2018 00:00

I have the same problem with my xp 9360 i7 vpro 4K, it's really unbearable

dell solution please

11 Posts

October 24th, 2018 08:00

Hi!

My XPS 13 9370, bought in April 2018, has started having this issue too.

At certain fan speeds, the fan makes a mechanical "grinding" sound, suggesting maybe a faulty bearing.

I see on this forum that some people have had the option of receiving just a replacement fan. Do I have this option too, or should I start the warranty process? What would be the best course of action?

1 Message

October 25th, 2018 18:00

I just bought mine last Friday (Oct 19), i7 8gb 256 and have the same isseu with fan noise and i am just opening the browser using 20% screen light and power saver. How to fix this?

3 Posts

October 26th, 2018 12:00

Got a new Dell XPS 13 - 9370

Fan seems to be constantly on, sometimes spinning VERY fast and loud.
Tried updating latest BIOS and drivers.
All lastest Win10Pro updates.
Laptop is even sitting on a cooling pad.

Nothing helps.

Is there a cure to this?  VVTF DELL, FIX THIS!

3 Posts

November 7th, 2018 02:00

Hi everyone. My issue was fixed by replacing the faulty parts (Heat sink and fan). The system runs great and I love my XPS 13 now!

2 Posts

November 7th, 2018 09:00

Hi,

I have the same rattling noise on my new Xps 9370. I bought the laptop from the MS online store in USA and am currently using it in India. How can I get this sorted?

Thanks,

Alan

11 Posts

December 8th, 2018 04:00

My XPS 13 9370, bought in April 2018, has started having this issue too.

At certain fan speeds, the fan makes a mechanical "grinding" sound, suggesting a faulty bearing.

I would be very interested in just receiving a new fan, as I'm capable of replacing it myself. Having to send the laptop for repairs for this small issue would be quite inconvenient.

Please, let me know if this is possible, thank you!

8 Posts

December 9th, 2018 04:00

Hi,

I have the same problem, bios updated to the latest version, and even thermal management set to "quiet" but when the fan kick in, it makes a very loud grinding noise.

Apparently, the fan has to be replaced, but the problem that I'm currently outside USA and will only return after the end of the warranty period. 

Please advice.

thanks 

1 Message

December 12th, 2018 09:00

I have 9370. I have same problem like this video: https://youtu.be/yha9MXpfwJs I buy it from vietnam store. They buy it from us. But i can not transfer warranty to Vietnam. How to fix this problem?

1 Rookie

• 

46 Posts

December 12th, 2018 12:00

I also have the same problem. I've tried pretty much all different suggestions here in the 26 pages (registry, support assist, turbo boost off, Intel Service LMS off, etc... you name it...). Some of them seemed to work at first, but then it came back afterwards.

It seems that with everything I've done, and also the BIOS 1.6.3 the fan loudness has reduced a bit (hopefully enough). The main issue is still the weird mechanical noise of the fan. Which I suppose I need to have it replaced. It seems a huge problem for DELL... I've counted myself at least 9 different topics/threads only here at DELL community regarding fan noise issues... (not even considering the dozen others in other forums in the web).

I'm looking forward to receive instructions from you Alan D (moderator) in order how to proceed with replacement.

Regards.

1 Message

December 12th, 2018 15:00

When mine arrived, the fan ran almost constantly.  It seems through software updates, bios updates and all of hte techniques suggested here, the fan runs much less.  However when it runs, it makes the subtle grinding noise.  Never heard a healthy compute fan sound like it.   How do I go about getting a replacement fan?

5 Posts

December 13th, 2018 09:00

Same here - and still no fixes...

Is this a hardware or software problem?

BTW. It's only when the battery is charging. When reached a charge of 100% it stops blowing constantly.

Another thing is Windows 10 that runs all kind of things in the background whenever you are away from the keyboard. Most often when you leave the keyboard and the lock screen kicks in, the blowers starts running at full speed again. When you get back to the keys, the blower stops.

I've struggled a lot with this, and thought I was hacked with a b.i.t c.o.i.n miner or similar. But my best gues is that the CPU/system is overheating as I see one core fully loaded whenever this happens. The fans is blowing either due to a faulty heatsink or faulty configuration or software (maybe other components generating heat). Anyway, with so many people experiencing these symptoms, I'm honestly amazed that Dell hasn't figured out what the problem is yet.

1 Message

December 13th, 2018 22:00

I am have the same problem too. I just dealt with a bad battery issue which dell sent a replacement one and now the fan's speed is always at the highest speed.  I had xps 9350 and it never gave me all these problem. Any solution on the fan speed (noise) yet?

No Events found!