Highlighted
2 Bronze

XPS 9370 Fan Noise

When sitting idle (not seeing any heavy usage for anything in task manager over 10% anyway), how loud should these fans be? If I'm sitting here not even using it with the power adapter plugged in it seriously sounds like the fans are at full blast sometimes.. Seems like when I unplug the charger it slows down after a few seconds then eventually they turn off. Is this normal? It is kind of annoying for $1700 laptop to make so much noise just sitting idle, but if theres nothing to do about it, it is what it is. Thanks

300 Replies
Highlighted

Re: XPS 9370 Fan Noise

Hey austinramsay. This is the first report of loud noise while sitting idle that I've seen.

Can you e-mail me at luke_presley@dell.com? I'd like to try to get some more information from you and see if we can figure out what's going on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi Luke

A couple of us are having same issue ate notebook review forums. I'm sure as more people receive there new xps 13 you will get way more complaints about this.

I just emailed you about this.

1 Copper

I am have the same problem too. I just dealt with a bad battery issue which dell sent a replacement one and now the fan's speed is always at the highest speed.  I had xps 9350 and it never gave me all these problem. Any solution on the fan speed (noise) yet?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

After the latest BIOS update my fan goes a lot more than before. In fact, on the previous BIOS version I don't recall hearing the fan once. I'd say it's on 20% of the time now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

My Dell XPS 13 9370 has just started experiencing the fan grinding (not high revving fan) issues. I have updated the BIOS and various drivers as suggested by Dell support but nothing has worked.

I have attached a video of the problem. https://youtu.be/ud0CZAShRHo I'm not sure if the fact that I have Dell 'Complete Care' means that I will be able to get a laptop replacement instead of just a fan replacement if need be or not?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Got mine a few days ago. Doing nothing the fan works crazy like the laptop wants to fly!! The fan starts working usually when I'm charging the laptop. How serious is the issue?

I also hear a weird noise (coil whine) on the top left side when I plug in the charger.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi Luke,

I have the same problem, the fan is particularly noisy when I use the dell D6000 docking station.

Will write to you if that is OK, as it is a big pity that such a nice laptop is so loud.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

me too same issue 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Dell pls respond, is there a solution? If not, i’m returning the notebook, thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have the same issue.  I spent $2000 for this new computer, and it is constantly running the fan.  I notice it more when the power source is plugged in, but this is ridiculous.  If there is no fix, I am going to want to return.   My older XPS 13 is better than this NEW XPS

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I received my refurb 9370 three days ago and the fan noise was immediately noticeable out of the box. A grinding noise, like there is sand in the fan. I went through all the steps outlined here (updates and quiet mode) and the noise is still there. It's definitely a mechanical issue with the fans as I can move the laptop around while the noise is present and can kinda make it disappear. It's almost like the fan bearings are unbalanced or the fans are rubbing on something.

I am leaving in two weeks to travel to Brazil and definitely need the laptop for the trip. About how long is it taking for everyone to get their units back from warranty repair? It's very disappointing that I'm even having to deal with an issue like this. You'd think that quality control should be very easily managed with something like a noisy fan, especially when it seems to be a widespread issue... turn the computer on. Does it make a grinding fan noise? Yes? Bad fans, don't ship.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@EmptyHeaded wrote:

I received my refurb 9370 three days ago and the fan noise was immediately noticeable out of the box. A grinding noise, like there is sand in the fan. I went through all the steps outlined here (updates and quiet mode) and the noise is still there. It's definitely a mechanical issue with the fans as I can move the laptop around while the noise is present and can kinda make it disappear. It's almost like the fan bearings are unbalanced or the fans are rubbing on something.

I am leaving in two weeks to travel to Brazil and definitely need the laptop for the trip. About how long is it taking for everyone to get their units back from warranty repair? It's very disappointing that I'm even having to deal with an issue like this. You'd think that quality control should be very easily managed with something like a noisy fan, especially when it seems to be a widespread issue... turn the computer on. Does it make a grinding fan noise? Yes? Bad fans, don't ship.

@EmptyHeaded it all depends on what warranty you purchased with the system. If its mail service then you could be looking at a week turn around time. If you fit the fan yourself which some on here have done with little difficulty, you would be looking at a day or two. The same applies with an engineer call. I'll drop you a private message to get your service tag and I can then advise further.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

XPS Fan Noise

I am also having the same issues with my XPS. The fan is so loud whether it's idle or being used. It's even worst when it's charging. There are brief 5 minutes where it stops, but then it'll pick right back up again 😞 Please help troubleshoot. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: XPS Fan Noise

@xohersheys wrote:

I am also having the same issues with my XPS. The fan is so loud whether it's idle or being used. It's even worst when it's charging. There are brief 5 minutes where it stops, but then it'll pick right back up again 😞 Please help troubleshoot. Thank you!

@xohersheys there are two distinct issues that have been mentioned on this thread, one being general fan volume can be perceived as being louder than a conventional notebook the other being the fan makes a grinding / growling noise during use that is indicative of a mechanical failure.

If it's simply loud, updating the BIOS to latest revision should improve this as the BIOS has revised thermal tables which optimise thermal performance v's fan noise. If it's making the grinding noise then the fan needs to be replaced.

Can you advise what the exact issue is that you are experiencing with the system fan.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

@Dell-Alan DI am experiencing the same grinding fan noise when the fans spin up, how do I get replacement fans to replace myself?

Highlighted

@terb_j wrote:

@Dell-Alan DI am experiencing the same grinding fan noise when the fans spin up, how do I get replacement fans to replace myself?

Hi @terb_j 

If the fan is mechanically failing and updating the BIOS to the latest revision has no affect, a service call is required. I shall drop you a private message to get your tag details and then advise your service call options.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

Highlighted
2 Bronze

I'm having the same issue. It's not that my fan is being used, it seems to come on at appropriate times, but it sounds like grinding or fast clicking. How do I solve this? My machine is just over a year old. It sounds 10 years old.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@dingobingo wrote:

I'm having the same issue. It's not that my fan is being used, it seems to come on at appropriate times, but it sounds like grinding or fast clicking. How do I solve this? My machine is just over a year old. It sounds 10 years old.

@dingobingo firstly I would ensure that your BIOS is up to date with the latest revision - https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=g8f38&oscode=wt64a&produc...

If the fan is mechanically failing and making a grinding noise it needs to be replaced. I will drop you a private message to get your tag details from you.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Add my name to the list. Just received a Dell XPS 13 9370. I am happy with everything about this little powerhouse except for the grinding fan noise. It sounds like the bearings are bad or something; when the fan kicks on at all, it's quite loud.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have the same problem

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz (CPU:0)

XPS 13 9370

Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-bit)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi, I have the exact same issue. The fan is extremely loud and distracting. I can hear it from across my condo. I'm embarrassed to bring it to a coffee shop, to be honest.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@BigOT wrote:

Hi, I have the exact same issue. The fan is extremely loud and distracting. I can hear it from across my condo. I'm embarrassed to bring it to a coffee shop, to be honest.

Hi @BigOT

There are 2 separate fan issues here that I have alluded to on this thread, one is for a mechanical grinding/growling noise being emitted by the fan, the other is for a fan noise that is considered louder than normal. The first requires a service call to replace the dual fans, the second can be addressed by updating the BIOS to the latest revision - 1.3.3 

Which issue are you experiencing and do you still have the problem after updating the BIOS to the latest revision?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi Alan,

I appreciate your response, but I won't pretend that I know how to do anything that you mention in your reply. I'd like to file an official customer service complaint, but all of the support links I follow lead me to self-service articles or this community. Can you send me a link to the right place where I can file a case?  I'm in Canada if that changes anything.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@BigOT wrote:

Hi Alan,

I appreciate your response, but I won't pretend that I know how to do anything that you mention in your reply. I'd like to file an official customer service complaint, but all of the support links I follow lead me to self-service articles or this community. Can you send me a link to the right place where I can file a case?  I'm in Canada if that changes anything.

Thank you

Hi, 

A BIOS update is a relatively straightforward process, there are step by step instructions on what to do to update the BIOS at the link I sent. It's a few button clicks and then leaving the system to update itself. If the system is experiencing a loud fan as you have mentioned, this BIOS update should resolve the issue.

Can I ask what the nature of the complaint is about the service please?

With regards to a complaints address, these tend to be completed in writing normally to the head office. You could try the following address, however as I'm based in the UK I can't guarantee that this is correct

Customer Complaints
155 Gordon Baker Rd #501,
North York,
Ontario
M2H 3N5
Canada

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

There are 2 separate fan issues here that I have alluded to on this thread, one is for a mechanical grinding/growling noise being emitted by the fan, the other is for a fan noise that is considered louder than normal. The first requires a service call to replace the dual fans.

The same terrible noise is coming out of my newly bought XPS. When fan speed is high - I can hear rattling sound. It's not a coil whine for sure and it looks like I am also the unlucky owner of defective unit.

Does it mean I have to wait for weeks until it will be fixed? What a terrible news 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@thodin wrote:

There are 2 separate fan issues here that I have alluded to on this thread, one is for a mechanical grinding/growling noise being emitted by the fan, the other is for a fan noise that is considered louder than normal. The first requires a service call to replace the dual fans.

The same terrible noise is coming out of my newly bought XPS. When fan speed is high - I can hear rattling sound. It's not a coil whine for sure and it looks like I am also the unlucky owner of defective unit.

Does it mean I have to wait for weeks until it will be fixed? What a terrible news 😞

Hi @thodin thanks for posting. I'll drop you a private message for your service tag to find out what warranty entitlement you have and where you are located. A replacement fan and a BIOS update should resolve the issue for you. 

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hello,

I have the same, even with rattling from the start... my laptop dropped after this first occured but i am afraid when sending it i am charged the cost of repair because it has a small dent on one of the corners.

kind regards,

Bas

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@Bas_Mienis wrote:

Hello,

I have the same, even with rattling from the start... my laptop dropped after this first occured but i am afraid when sending it i am charged the cost of repair because it has a small dent on one of the corners.

kind regards,

Bas

Hi @Bas_Mienis i'll drop you a private message for some more details and I can then advise further.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Just took mine out the box and set it up. Opened a browser and the fan is extremely loud with a single browser open to a google search page - nothing else happening. Aside from fan running at full bore, the block on the cord is HOT as is the laptop itself. It is sitting next to my ~4 year old thinkpad yoga - which is totally silent. I agree that after spending so much ~$1800 with warranty, this is absurd. Help! How do you fix this -- or is it a return??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Return it ASAP. Worthless PC from a worthless company. Get a Lenovo ThinkPad instead.

Highlighted
1 Copper

I have just received my laptop and set it up. The fan noise is quite high and not stopping for a long time. My order (xps 13 (9370) order=<Order number removed>).

0 Kudos
Highlighted

One more unhappy customer. I will prevent any of my team member to get a XPS, unless sleep isn't working. The fan keeps running even in S0 low power mode. If the system wake up in his bag it may be dangerous, I think it should be forbidden from a plane, much as galaxy. Please give us back the possiblity to sleep S3, or a modern sleep that work.
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I'm also experiencing the same behavior. When plugged in, the fan would turn on even though CPU/HDD temperatures are very low, below than 90F.
The behavior is observed mostly on Windows 10, and as soon as I unplug the chargers, fans would first calm down, then stop after a minute or so, at which point the the laptop remains completely silent.  Plugging the charger back would kick the fan on again after a few minutes.

The same problem happens pn Linux (Ubuntu),  but much less pronounced than on Windows; fan noise is inexistant but would slightly kick in when plugged in. Otherwise, it is completely silent unplugged (for light tasks such as browsing, video etc.). 

I uninstalled all Dell utilities on WIndows (something recommended in another forum), and it did reduce the fan noise when plugged in but didn't completely eliminate it. 

Highlighted
1 Copper

Getting really bad fan noise at all times. It sounds like a fan is loose or something.
Highlighted
2 Bronze

hey all, i just gotten my 9370 and also experienced loud fan noises when plugged in usb c via my monitor.

i tried playing around with the settings and found this solution helped to reduce the fan noise significantly.

dell power manager > thermal management > quiet

i'm not sure how this would affect performance yet but at least i don't have to keep bearing with the noticeably noisy fans.

Highlighted
1 Copper

This worked for me as well - although I have not ran any benchmarks to see the performance hit. Thanks!

Highlighted
1 Copper

have the same problem.

when the fan is running, it make some strange sounds like the bearing or something is broken

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Just received top of the line 9370, fan runs a lot more than expected. Makes sense with all the heat generated by that processing power in such a slim case. Gonna play with the settings to see if something can be done, but it doesn't look good. The fan starts to run with the laptop almost idle, or starts and stop while barely using the cpu. Will probably return it if this doesn't improve.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi all,

Just received mine xps 13 9370 and the fans haven't stopped ... really annoying. Has anybody found what is this noise all about if processor is not loaded?

Regards,

José

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Same problem here, when I connect the power supply after a few minutes the fans start spinning very fast 😞  Any solution?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

1- Download the Dell Power Management app and set the thermal option to quiet.

2- Set the power mode to "recommended" instead of "better performance"

This should help, but you'll have to live with a lower CPU performance. Then why spend that much money on the latest Intel chip if you can't really use it at full speed. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

OK, it work also with thermal managment set to "optimized".

😉

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

It is very puzzling that heat management is excellent on Linux, whereas on Windows one has to limit the CPU to get acceptable results...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Your tech support already tried that and more, but it didn't help! I sent the computer to tech support and it came back the same! This is a bad joke! for a 2k computer. This is the 1st time I see an issue like this in a laptop!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@Ozzieav wrote:

Your tech support already tried that and more, but it didn't help! I sent the computer to tech support and it came back the same! This is a bad joke! for a 2k computer. This is the 1st time I see an issue like this in a laptop!

@Ozzieav, I sent you a private message last week requesting your service tag. If you could reply to my message I can look into this further for you.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi Alan,

My 9370 has the same fan noise. The fan is making the rattling noise no matter whether the ac adaptor is plugged in or not, and it happens at both low and high speed. For your information, I've updated all drivers to the latest version including BIOS, but it doesn't resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@randABC wrote:

Hi Alan,

My 9370 has the same fan noise. The fan is making the rattling noise no matter whether the ac adaptor is plugged in or not, and it happens at both low and high speed. For your information, I've updated all drivers to the latest version including BIOS, but it doesn't resolve the issue.

Hi @randABC, I'll drop you a private message for your tag details and will advise of your service call options.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I'm getting the same crunch,grindy noise out of my new xps 13... I need help. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@c2016y wrote:

I'm getting the same crunch,grindy noise out of my new xps 13... I need help. 

Hi @c2016y i'll drop you a private message to get your tag details.

Thanks,
Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos