Start a Conversation

Unsolved

August 10th, 2023 23:17

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 4th, 2018 06:00

I am going to assume the 9370 uses modern standby.  If that is not correct, please advise

If that is the case, some devices no longer have power management tabs since the system needs to have control of those devices.  I have no experience with a Bluetooth mouse in this situation but my Pen can turn the display on so I assume your mouse does that also.  The Bluetooth does stay active when in a low power mode.

81 Posts

February 4th, 2018 06:00

Open Device Manager, browse for the Bluetooth section, expand it and search for your chip manufacturer device (probably Qualcomm in case of XPS 9370). Right click on it and select Properties. In the window that will pop up go to Power Management tab and there should be checkbox that allow to enable/disable "wake up" feature for connected peripherals.

6 Posts

February 4th, 2018 07:00

Thanks. In the bluetooth adapter settings however there is a power management tab but the setting is not selectable. I have attached a picture.

Capture

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 4th, 2018 07:00

Maybe check the mouse for a wake ability option..  If there is no Power tab is there an Advanced Tab?

6 Posts

February 4th, 2018 08:00

Nope. No advanced tab either in mouse settings.

This is driving me nuts and it is basically rendering the sleep function unusable to carry this laptop around. It has to be a windows  or driver issue because I get the correct behavior in linux.

81 Posts

February 4th, 2018 11:00

I've tried on mine and I confirm this issue. Notebook is waking up after I manually put it into sleep mode or when close the lid. Any bluetooth mouse movement turn the device back on (even if the lid is closed). This happens on Dell's preinstalled Windows so... this is not probably caused by some drivers/software or settings that end user applies.

This situation is extremely dangerous to the device. When I pack your laptop into bag/sleeve/backpack and move the mouse at least a little bit (not always intentionally) it will wake up and drain the battery or cook up inside the case (ventilation holes are covered, closed screen decreases air circulation capabilities).

Background info: XPS 13 9370 / i7 / FHD / Windows 10 with latest updates applied / current BIOS 1.0.2 / all BIOS diagnostics tests are passing

6 Posts

February 4th, 2018 11:00

What you describe is exactly what I'm trying to avoid as I often carry my laptop in sleep mode. Come on Dell please provide us all drivers for the 9370.

1 Message

June 5th, 2018 04:00

Exactly the same issue here, as described above. My workaround is to use hibernation, but I'd rather use sleep.. Any ideas?

June 15th, 2018 14:00

I've run into similar problems while using Linux on 9370. After 5hr of sleep battery dropped from 98% to 73%.
After some investigation and reading it appears that by default my system was suspending into Suspend-to-Idle (s2idle) mode - which according to [ https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/power/states.txt] is just extended form of CPU idle mode with most devices powered off, but any of them can still wake up your device. This happened to me, while my XPS was in a sleeve - so after a while it was burning hot.I've just forced my system to go into "deep" sleep instead of s2idle and hopefully tomorrow morning I'll observe minimal or no battery drainage.
P.S. I've OEM Windows on this machine, but I'm not working on it so by far I wasn't able to confirm sleep behaviour on W10.

June 18th, 2018 08:00

Adding to this. I have a Dell XPS 13 9370 and I recently started using a bluetooth mouse and I think that coincides with this issue. When I close the lid on my laptop and leave it for the night, usually over 12 hours, it will be nearly dead when I open the lid. It used to go into hibernation after enough time but that doesn't even happen. I think it has something to do with the bluetooth mouse as it only seemed to start happening when I started using the mouse. Previously it would sit closed on my backpack for an entire night and the next day it would only lose maybe 3-5%.

I'm going to try to start turning bluetooth off before I close the lid to test this.

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

June 18th, 2018 09:00

Right-click the windows icon (bottom-left), open admin cmd window, log in.

See if you've got the mouse listed with: powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

Then try: powercfg -devicedisablewake

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 18th, 2018 09:00

I tested my 9365 and when it was still in Modern Standby, a Bluetooth mouse could wake the system up with the lid closed.  The Pen might do the same thing.

And I agree it is not safe for the system to turn on with the lid closed.

You also need to remember some utilities will not stop running when the lid closes.  If you are playing music with certain utilities, it might continue.

123 Posts

June 29th, 2018 23:00

Yes, this is totallly a horrible design. I have the same issue, if laptop lid is closed, everything like bluetooth mouse or keyboard or other bluetooth devices can wake it up... with lid closed!! Dangerous!!

The only solution I guess is to disable modern standby and enable old suspend to ram in the XPS bios. I think if you do that, you maybe get the "power tab" back on devices where you can disable it to wake up.

2 Posts

July 25th, 2018 09:00

You rule!

Been looking for solving the issue where touchpad wakes up the Precision 5510 on Windows 10 sleep mode and to no avail. Your post gave me an idea to disable sleep mode from BIOS and voila - whatever Windows 10 now sleeps to is not the S3 state as far as BIOS is concerned and all other I/O except power button is now inactive in sleep state.

Drawback is that sleep takes couple of more seconds on and off, but I can live with that much better than overheated laptop in a bag. (and with 32Gb memory, hibernation to SSD is not really an option).

So - to stop the touchpad and keyboard waking up laptop from sleep mode in Windows 10, do the following (its for Precision 5510 with all hardware and BIOS updates as of 25.07.2018, but given that the BIOS has the "Disable Sleep Mode" option, it should work for other versions and makes as well:)

- Restart the laptop

- The moment the circular DELL logo appears, press F2. That will get you to BIOS setup

- Go to Power Managemet options and select "Disable Sleep Mode" (S3 state) from there.

- Save settings, exit, etc.

- After boot, verify that you have now touchpad and keyboard not waking up the laptop.

I have done countless power option tweaks on my Precision, trying pretty much everything one can find from internet, but I do not think any of this matters.

As of reference tho, my default power options are that lid does nothing, power and sleep buttons both put the computer on sleep. I have disabled Wake on LAN for WiFi (google for the procedure) and Wake on USB is not checked in BIOS.

Hope this will make your laptop usable as it was making mine, as without it it was just a slim fancy desktop with integrated display, as you really could not use it as laptop...

Best Regards,

Andrus.

123 Posts

September 12th, 2018 17:00

@Satrian this is a joke from you, right? please tell youre joking. youre just forcing hibernate by deactivating sleep in bios... .... .... .... *picard double face palm*

No Events found!