Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 13th, 2021 10:00

XPS 9380, WD19TB, driver broke dock Ethernet connection

Hi,

I just installed this dock driver on my XPS 9380 with my WD19TB dock and the Ethernet card stopped detecting a link with an Ethernet cable attached. My machine is running Windows 10.0.19043.1202

Realtek USB GBE Ethernet Controller Driver 2.45.2021.0825, A23 <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

I had to downgrade the driver back to 2.45.2020.0601, A20 and then everything worked again. Anyone else having issues?

20 Posts

October 11th, 2021 11:00

Hi @DELL-Chris M ,

Thanks for responding.

Fortunately, someone from the @DELL-Cares team contacted me via PM and took my details including the fact I am on the latest firmware for my WD19TB.

They confirmed with engineering that the issue lies with a compatibility issue with Windows 10 21H1 and suggested I revert back to the previous version of the driver as mentioned 2.45.2020.0601, A20.

Now, it would be great if Dell could update the details about the 2.45.2021.0825, A23 driver to warn people of this issue.

1 Message

October 25th, 2021 12:00

I had just updated my firmware, lost my Ethernet connection and then installed the October 13 update for the controller and it fixed the Ethernet problem:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/dell-wd19tb-dock/drivers

It now shows as version 10.47.818.2021 in Device Manager

Quien sabe.

• 

25.1K Posts

September 13th, 2021 11:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 8th, 2021 05:00

The dock shipped in April 2020. Did you check the WD19TB firmware version? We see a July 2021 firmware update on the WD19TB drivers page. If not installed, try it. Then test the newer Ethernet driver.

• 

16.7K Posts

October 14th, 2021 08:00

ex5125,

Following up to see if you reverted back to the previous driver and if so, did it resolve the issue?  

20 Posts

October 15th, 2021 10:00

@DELL-Jesse L Yes rolling back did restore my network connectivity. However, in some random cases (once a day on average) I temporarily lose connection, and then it connects back (all while connected to the WD19TB dock). So I probably need to do a thorough uninstall and reinstall of the driver to do that. 

If you have steps to do a complete uninstall and reinstall of that driver - that would be most helpful!

• 

25.1K Posts

October 15th, 2021 15:00

Hi,

We are happy to know that the issue has been resolved after performing a rollback. Disconnect the docking station.

Uninstall the WD19TB driver from Control panel and device manager. Once completed, restart the system. Download and install the drivers for WD19TB and restart the system.

Connect the docking station and check for functionality.

2 Posts

October 23rd, 2021 07:00

I've had the same issue with my dock not recognizing the ethernet connection plugged into it. The cause seems to be that Windows Realtek updates overwrite the Dell Realtek driver. I've found the solution, which is to reinstall the Dell Realtek Ethernet driver via dell.com BUT this puts me into a loop. The Windows Realtek updates are not optional, so the only way I know to stop them is to turn off all Windows updates. This means - as happened last night - that Windows does the update and the ethernet is out again. This morning I reinstalled the Dell Realtek update and ethernet is back. What is the real, long-term solution to this issue?

20 Posts

October 24th, 2021 14:00

@tiggertai thanks for the info. What driver version do you see installed in device manager when Windows overwrites the Dell driver? In my testing, I didn't see this the version change from what was installed but may need to pay a closer look!

Its interesting that the latest driver posted just says

- Fixed the issue where a French word Annuler is spelled incorrectly on the driver installer user interface for French language Canada.

which would imply no updates have been made to the physical driver as it is just the installer.

No Events found!