Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 21st, 2019 15:00

XPS 13 9380, trackpad erratic with jumping cursor and clicks

Hi. All help appreciated. My new XPS has a trackpad which makes it nearly unusable. When scrolling two fingers I frequently get the cursor on the screen jumping to the left. Sometimes things are clicked unintentionally. Never had a problem with a trackpad before. Any ideas but this is really disappointing in a brand new supposedly market leading laptop.

2 Posts

June 27th, 2019 08:00

After my shipping my device in for repair they replaced the touchpad and the problem has gone away. Don't be too doubtful of the repair process!

8 Posts

March 21st, 2019 16:00

There is a similar issue on the 9575. See my post https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9575-2-in-1-touchpad-freezing/td-p/6135942/page/16 for the full explanation but in short try disabling the "HID Compliant pen" in device manager. I and several others were able to re-enable it again after a reboot without the issue reoccurring.

This may not apply to the 9380 though, I am unable to find any information as to whether it has an active display.

1 Message

April 25th, 2019 08:00

Were you able to fix this issue? I just received my XPS 13 9380 and have the same issue. The trackpad will no scroll at times and the cursor will jump.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

April 25th, 2019 09:00

Thank you for your message. I will be glad to assist you with this.

Is the touchpad issue observed on any particular application like browsers, MS office?

Please run a test on the touchpad on Dell Support Assist & check if the pointers work in the diagnostic screen. Open Support Assist- Click diagnose a hardware – chose mouse

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.         

How to locate the service tag

1 Message

May 3rd, 2019 11:00

Same issue here.  Two finger scrolling is horrible.  Sometimes works fine, but seconds later in the same app becomes unresponsive or jumps around erratically sometimes clicking without intention.  the worst is trying to use the 2 finger back swipe command.  Total rubbish.

1 Rookie

• 

58 Posts

May 7th, 2019 09:00

i am facing this same issue now. any fix from dell ?

May 15th, 2019 17:00

Same issue here. The trackpad scroll doesn't seem to work at times. I initially thought it is the trackpad issue and Dell replaced it with the warranty since it's only been a couple of weeks since I purchased the laptop but the problem is persistent even after the trackpad was changed. This is really annoying given that it is a premium laptop in the market and I spent a couple of thousand bucks on this. 

Looking for a resolution here if there is any solution.

2 Posts

May 20th, 2019 19:00

Same issue here... I've only had it for a few weeks and I'm starting to hate it.

1 Message

May 23rd, 2019 08:00

Brand new laptop out of the box which was a replacement for my original battery issue and they sent a repair guy for the replacement under warranty changed out the track pad and i still have an issue... have you been able to fix this because even after they changed the track pad not even an hour later, i'm seeing the erratic track pad issue again.

2 Posts

June 4th, 2019 12:00

Brand new laptop, had it less than an hour now. Same problem.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

June 4th, 2019 13:00

I will be glad to look into this & assist you further.

Please run a touchpad test on Dell Support Assist application & check if the issue persists.

I will be glad to have this escalated. For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.          

How to locate the service tag

2 Posts

June 4th, 2019 19:00

I ran SupportAssist as instructed, and it had me run some manual tests and assess the touchpad myself on a few tasks. As expected, it behaved erratically during the two-finger scroll, so I marked the test as failed. SupportAssist is now claiming that my problem is hardware-related and that I need to have my touchpad replaced. Given previous posts in this thread, I'm skeptical that this is the source of the problem.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

June 5th, 2019 06:00

I will be glad to escalate this to the product team. Please private message the service tag along with the registered name & email address.

1 Message

June 12th, 2019 05:00

Hi, have the same issue - very frustrating I tried all the below recommendations and sadly haven't got a resolution. I am now waiting on a response to a service request; will update the posts as I progress. 

1 Message

June 13th, 2019 19:00

Same problem, today people from Dell reinstall all drivers and Windows again then can't solve the it

No Events found!