Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 21st, 2019 15:00

XPS 13 9380, trackpad erratic with jumping cursor and clicks

Hi. All help appreciated. My new XPS has a trackpad which makes it nearly unusable. When scrolling two fingers I frequently get the cursor on the screen jumping to the left. Sometimes things are clicked unintentionally. Never had a problem with a trackpad before. Any ideas but this is really disappointing in a brand new supposedly market leading laptop.

1 Message

June 14th, 2019 01:00

Received my xps 13 9380 yesterday, same problem here.

It drives me crazy. Something has to be wrong with the touchpad driver is my guess.

I wrote a message to Sreejith and hope we find a solution to that problem.

Very frustrating :(

1 Message

June 15th, 2019 13:00

I am sick and tired of this issue. It's so ridiculous Dell does not do anything about this. 

2 Posts

June 16th, 2019 13:00

Same issue here. Going to ship my device to their repair services tomorrow. My cursor is also jumpy in BIOS when using two fingers. Not sure if that indicates a hardware issue or if BIOS just doesn't support multiple inputs. 

June 19th, 2019 09:00

We have the same issue on a new XPS 13-9380. Got one of the Dell guys coming to replace the track pad tomorrow. But I feel from reading this thread that we will still have the same problem. Premium laptop and a basic issue such as this is so frustrating. So thinking of going elsewhere for our laptops now. Come on Dell, do the right thing here.

Jon

June 20th, 2019 02:00

And now despite having 3 year premium, next day support on this brand new laptop (that replaces a failed 3yr old XPS 13 9350), Dell support have let us down and will not be visiting today with a replacement trackpad due to internal technical issues.

Has anyone else managed to get these XPS trackpad issues resolved satisfactorily?

Of all the machines to have these sort problems with, it happens with the Sales Directors machine.

Jon.

• 

16.7K Posts

June 20th, 2019 06:00

Schoolblazer,

I see that a Tech will be sent to check on your system tomorrow to resolve the issue. 

2 Posts

June 25th, 2019 08:00

I received my 9380 out of the box yesterday and immediately had this issue. Was talking to IT for a long time while he updated drivers and rebooted the computer several times. He scheduled an in-home visit for tomorrow to replace the trackpad, but as others have said, I'm not convinced that will fix the problem. 

I read somewhere else that someone figured out that the touchpad was being detected twice, once by the psmouse driver and once by the newer i2c interface. I'm not savvy enough to know what that means or how to fix it, but if someone does, maybe you can try?

• 

16.7K Posts

June 25th, 2019 09:00

AudWil,

Wait until the tech gets there to replace the touchpad. Hopefully, it will resolve the issue.

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number as well as your registered name, email address, and phone number.

11 Posts

June 25th, 2019 10:00

if the hardware is faulty you can replace the piece of **bleep** for about $30, find one on ebay I had to replace mine as well.

4 Posts

June 25th, 2019 13:00

Here's what worked for me: set touchpad sensitivity to low; open mouse properties and set double-click speed to highest; set the number of scrolled rows to lowest (to 1).

1 Message

June 25th, 2019 15:00

@hunch7 wrote:

Here's what worked for me: set touchpad sensitivity to low; open mouse properties and set double-click speed to highest; set the number of scrolled rows to lowest (to 1).

Not really a solution since those are all settings I would never actually use. Having a smooth touchpad experience that fits your preferences is crucial.

2 Posts

June 26th, 2019 16:00

Jesse,  you were right. After he replaced the trackpad, the problem vanished. Must have been a faulty one that got installed. 

3 Posts

June 27th, 2019 10:00

There is not enough glue or used bad glue between the PCB plate and the top of the touchpad. Because of this, a gap appears and the touchpad controller starts issuing random values :) It's great to see such problems on a premium laptop.

8 Posts

June 29th, 2019 16:00

I am experiencing this same issue on a brand new XPS 13 9380. For me, there is a specific spot that is bad on the trackpad, about 1/3 of the way up in either direction from the bottom right corner. If my finger crosses that spot, the cursor usually jumps across the screen. I called Dell and they seemed to be well aware of the problem and are having me send the laptop in to have the touchpad replaced. Hopefully that fixes it, although it isn't looking great with so many people having these issues...

1 Message

June 30th, 2019 21:00

I am having the same issue with my laptop.  Ive had my laptop for about a month now and the problems with the mouse pad have gotten significantly worse.  Now the mousepad acts up even when in bootmenu diagnostics screen. 

No Events found!