Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

November 8th, 2022 08:00

XPS 9500 reboot constantly and not charging

My XPS 9500 rebooted self constantly and it would not be charged after the reboot.  So, I had to jump into the BIOS setting and loaded into the BIOS default.

After that, booted back to Windows 10 and it could start charging self.

I had run through SupportAssist to scan hardware and no issue was found.  Reloaded the urgent drivers from Dell driver download site included refreshed BIOS to the update version.

What else I can do to prevent it to be happened?

Any suggestion?  Thanks.

2 Intern

• 

346 Posts

November 9th, 2022 02:00

Hi, my 9500 is doing the exact same thing. Usually when my system hibernates or sleeps and wakes up (or even in the middle of the night), it's crashing and restarting, no system error logs other than "this shutdown was unexpected. The charger issue happens to me too, where after this crash, the laptop doesn't charge. This can be mitigated by unplugging it, shutting it down, restarting it, and plugging it back in once it loads to Windows, but it's extremely annoying to do this every time

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

November 9th, 2022 05:00

For the charging portion:  I discover that I have to do the following steps to make Windows allows me to charge my XPS 9500:

1. jump BIOS setup, load factory default feature, then reboot.

2. jump BIOS setup again, load the BIOS default feature, then reboot.

3. boot windows and do shutdown without logging in (need sometimes)

-------

I have tried to switch my charger with my XPS 9710 (same model) and confirm the issue is not getting better.

I think that something is affecting the XPS hardware during the runtime, therefore, XPS will be rebooted self in the middle of my work. 

I also adjust the system and screen do not go sleep (always on), and it helps during the working hours.  The manual shutdown/restart without loading factory/BIOS reload, XPS will reboot self again.

I have checked the posts and someone mentioned that replacing motherboard did not help.... Are Windows patches caused the device drivers go wrong?!

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

November 9th, 2022 13:00

Update my previous steps in order to gain the AC adapter to charge my XPS 9500 after the self reboot:

1. go into BIOS mode, to load BIOS defaults, apply and reboot

2. go into BIOS mode again after the 1st reboot, to load factory defaults, apply and reboot.

Login Windows and disable all sleeps when AC plugin right the way (shutdown and power on - clear everything possible)... to prevent hibernation (when hibernation occurred, the reboot will happen).

I will update for the above setting and hope stopping the reboot self...

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

November 10th, 2022 07:00

In addition, when I shutdown Windows for a day and left the charger on XPS for the whole night.  The next day, my XPS reboot self immediately.

I have to perform the 3 above steps again in order to gain the AC charging.

I will unplug the AC charging when shutdown Windows for the night, and boot without the AC charging next day.  Hope no reboot again.

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

November 11th, 2022 09:00

The next morning startup, my XPS would not be charged while the AC was plugged in after Windows login.

I have to perform the my three steps for the BIOS default load in order to gain the AC charging after Windows login.

Something are wrong in either (I guess):

1. the hardware allows the alternations into the CMOS settings by Windows or device drivers?!

2. the physical hardware goes bad.

I do not think that my XPS is in the item 2 scenario because my XPS can be charged and Windows can tell my battery up to 100% from some %.

I have updated the charging method from "adaptive" to "standard" to ensure the power is always on, Shutdown and startup (no BIOS default load), the Windows shows the AC plugging sign is on now.

Now, I have re-enabled hibernation to test: 1. charging with standard, 2. hibernation for the screen.

Hi Dell, is it possible to test XPS 9500 has the same issue in your lab?

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

November 13th, 2022 18:00

An update what I experienced so far.  My XPS self reboot were more frequent when I launched Microsoft edge.

End up, I ran into no choice to install the optional device patches that the option updates from the windows update.  There were updates, likes Bluetooth,  network.. and I loaded them up.

After that, I installed the patch that provided by SupportAssist for wireless.  The self reboot stopped once, but I do not think the updates have stopped the bleeding...

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

November 15th, 2022 06:00

So far, to prevent my XPS self reboot with the following steps:

1. with the 3 steps of BIOS default loading

2. turn off sleeps for host and screen

This is good for a day. When the XPS is shutdown, the above procedure is required to be applied again.

• 

17K Posts

November 28th, 2022 05:00

houming,

Following up to see if you performed an OS Reinstall? Let us know.

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

November 28th, 2022 18:00

Ended up that I had my XPS 9500 to be sent back to the service center to replace the motherboard and I got it back today.

OS re-installation did not work. I had worked with Dell tech support for all possible ways and none of tries worked for me.

Testing the replaced motherboard now.... hope it works.

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

December 3rd, 2022 11:00

A week has been passed after my main logic board replaced by the Dell repair center and updated the device drivers to get my XPS 9500 back to the working mode.

I am no longer to have the self reboot, no charging when booting up, and BIOS defaults load before booting OS....

At this point, I have confirmed that it is a hardware issue rather than the software issue.

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

December 26th, 2022 07:00

An additional note, my XPS 9500  has "main logic board" replaced by the dell repair center and it seems working fine.  

I just discovered that my XPS 9500 was no longer to be charged after iTunes installation and the BIOS default loads would not work either.

Once I uninstalled iTunes and BIOS default loads, my XPS 9500 can be charged again.

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

January 24th, 2023 19:00

Update:

My XPS 9500 gets reboot more often now so replacing main logic board may not help.

I found out the reboot is always occurred the screen sleep (I disabled laptop sleep) and back to windows login screen.

So, I disable the screen sleep.... let's see....

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

February 1st, 2023 07:00

As today, my xps 9500 will be not rebooted randomly during the working hours as long as the screen/laptop do not go sleep.

Another issue that I found is that I do the WIndows 10 shutdown then close my lid at the end of day.  Then open the lid next day morning, my XPS 9500 is still unable to be charged by AC first unless I go the BISO default loading and WIndows 10 shutdown once and press the power button to boot up, after that I gain the AC charge sing on the login screen.  Not sure why... Is there program or driver to make my XPS 9500 state wrong...  I need to do more obversation.

5 Posts

February 2nd, 2023 01:00

I have the same issue described above, on the same hardware, posted a few days ago It is related to the sleep, now my system basically reboots at least once a day. Maybe it has something to-do with the recent bios update version 1.19

5 Posts

February 2nd, 2023 05:00

When it reboots by itself, charging stops working, to make it work again I have to turn of the laptop then turn it on again, after a few minutes I can plug it back and it starts charging. You can also check that in your bios logs there is ASF2 reboot, which means unexpected shutdown.

No Events found!