Unsolved

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

February 2nd, 2023 04:00

XPS 9520 external monitor problems last couple of weeks

XPS 15 9520

XPS 15 9520

Sometimes after waking the laptop from sleep, my external monitor - connected via DisplayPort on a WD22TB dock - will wake up but then go back to sleep saying "no signal". Looking in Windows 11 22H2 display settings, the external monitor is showing but with the wrong screen res (tiny rectangle even though it's a 4k screen), and the display sharing is set to "show only on 1".

No amount of power cycling the monitor and dock, or re-seating the DisplayPort cable will resolve the problem. However usually a reboot of Windows will fix this.

A couple of times I've had the same thing on a fresh boot, where the monitor will do the same thing: "No signal". A shutdown/restart of the laptop has so far resolved this.

I've got other people with the same laptop also reporting monitor issues over the last few weeks.

I reckon this started around the time of the latest Intel RST driver update v31.0.101.3959 which I installed on 23rd Jan.

Looking in Device Manager the external monitors are connected to the Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics, so I think there's a bug in the latest driver.

I've yet to have a problem with the laptop's own display, so this seems to only affect external displays.

1 Message

March 22nd, 2023 06:00

I have the exact same experience with 2 brand new 9520 laptops. One received early February, the other on Monday to replace the first. I have not been able to resolve the issue and did have a ticket open with Dell Tech Support. Anyone have a resolution?

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

March 24th, 2023 03:00

For our worst affected user I recently rolled the Intel Iris driver back to version 31.0.101.3301, A03 and the problem has been much improved - possibly even resolved, but it's too early to tell (I only did it day before yesterday!).

Not everyone is affected with the newer driver though, some people with the 31.0.101.3959 A04 driver don't ever see the problem. About 50% of our users do get it several times a week though.

My user base on the XPS 15 9520 is about 25 users/machines.

1 Message

September 7th, 2023 13:39

My problem is when laptop locked the Ext. Monitor can't be off. It can't be off either when put laptop to sleep mode with lid opened. It only can be off when the laptop is sleep with lid closed.

No Events found!