Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

2 Posts

November 12th, 2019 01:00

XPS 9560 Daily BSODs in Windows 10

I've owned my XPS 9560 for around 2 years, and most of that time, it's been completely stable.

Around a month ago, an old monitor which was connected via a USB-C --> DisplayPort --> DVI-I adapter set up stopped working. Thinking there might have been an issue with a driver, I used the Support Assist tool to update every driver to the latest version, including a BIOS update. Prior to that, I'd just been using whatever Windows Update downloaded. That was when the problems began.

At least once a day since then, Windows crashes out with a blue screen of death. The reported causes are different each time, there is no consistency.

Things I have tried so far:

• Clean install of windows, using only the drivers that Windows downloads - worked for 2 days, then BSODs
  • Using Support Assist again after the clean install to get all latest drivers - BSODs
  • Rolling back to an earlier firmware version (unfortunately I can't remember the version I was on before all the fun started) - BSODs
  • Putting myself back to the latest firmware again - BSODs
  • Running all stress tests from Support Assist - no errors found

One thing I did notice is that during the firmware update, an error message that the "ME" (which I presume is Intel Management Engine) firmware update had not been successful. This makes me wonder if I'm somehow stuck on mismatched versions between this and the main BIOS firmware.

My laptop has just now recovered from a BSOD. Details from Support Assist:

Blue Screen Error - November 12, 2019 7:49:16 AM
Bug check code
0x0000007e
Bug check parameters

0xffffffff80000003,

0xfffff8007eb16568,

0xffffc783d65d9428,

0xffffc783d65d8c70

Info from WhoCrashed:

On Tue 12/11/2019 08:44:49 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111219-8796-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x116568)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFF80000003, 0xFFFFF8007EB16568, 0xFFFFC783D65D9428, 0xFFFFC783D65D8C70)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

If anyone can help me troubleshoot this further, including possibly how to analyse/debug/fix the various firmware versions, it would be much appreciated, since if I can't clear this up, I'll need a new laptop. It takes me 15 minutes to get back to where I was in all my work each time a crash occurs.

Many thanks

No Responses!
No Events found!