Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

11 Posts

April 13th, 2019 04:00

XPS 9560 TPM Bitlocker issues

Hello All,

After contacting Dell Support and account manager multiple times we are desperate.

We are a company with ~240 employees and are using Dell laptops in combination with Dell WD15 or TB16 mostly. 

Different types are being used such as Latitude 5580/5590 and XPS 9560/9570.

Especially with XPS 9560 we are having a lot of issues with TPM / Bitlocker. We have Bitlocker enabled on all devices due to company policy. We are getting multiple calls every week from employees asking for Bitlocker recovery key because TPM disappeared from BIOS.

We updated the TPM firmware to 1.3.2.8 and are using the latest BIOS. We followed every article changing BIOS settings related to boot options, thunderbolt settings etc.

2 months ago I spoke to someone from Dell and he confirmed our issues. Apparently another large customer is having the same issues and he told me Dell is working on a BIOS fix. However this was 2 months ago and we never heard back from Dell. 

I was hoping someone from the community could update me on the TPM issues especially with XPS 9560. I believe many others are having issues but gave up and simply disabled Bitlocker. However due to company policy we can’t and need a solution.

Thank you in advance.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

April 13th, 2019 05:00

Sorry to hear this, and I haven’t heard of this specific issue, but in terms of a fix, if Dell has acknowledged this as a BIOS issue, the best you can probably do to keep BitLocker without this issue would be to switch to using regular password-based protection rather than TPM-based until you receive and deploy a BIOS fix. But be aware of a few things:

- You’d have to enable this option in Group Policy since by default password protection isn’t allowed for OS partitions.

- You will lose the “platform integrity check” that a TPM-based solution provides, which causes a lockdown and Recovery Key prompt if it detects that something has changed about the hardware/firmware environment that might represent a security threat.

- Make sure the minimum password length is high. I would recommend at least 12 characters if not 16. With a TPM+PIN setup, the PIN can be short because the PIN is not a key element for deriving the decryption key. But in a password scenario, the password is the derivation of the key, and since there’s no mechanism to slow down brute force attempts against regular passwords, you’ve got to mitigate that risk. The best way to do that is with length rather than complexity because users find it easier to both remember and type long easy passwords than short gnarly ones — AND long passwords are also typically also more resistant to brute force because attackers typically try all combinations of shorter passwords first. I normally advise users to take a normal password and add something like a phone number or 2-3 significant ZIP codes or dates to their password, or even a basic pattern of characters. Any of those give you a lot of length while keeping it easy to remember and type — and again, the goal is just length in a brute force scenario, not complexity.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

EDIT: Duplicate

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

In addition to my answer above, I forgot to mention that after allowing password-based protection in Group Policy and confirming that systems have received that update, I’m fairly certain you can even switch from TPM to password-based encryption WITHOUT having to decrypt and re-encrypt the drive. You’d just need to use manage-bde or the equivalent PowerShell cmdlets to remove the TPM protector and then add a password protector instead. The protector corresponding to your Recovery Key would remain in effect and unchanged.

3 Posts

August 6th, 2019 10:00

I experienced the exact same problem with my Dell XPS 15 9650 with the TPM disappearing from BIOS.  After a lot of investigation, I determined the root of the problem is related to the battery.  When the laptop is not plugged into power and the unit was powered down for an hour, upon boot-up I was prompted for the Bitlocker Recovery Key.  To clear the problem, I has to disconnect the battery then reconnect.  This seems to temporarily clear the problem and restores the TPM.  However, the problem will continue to occur.  What I discovered is keeping the power plugged in, or permanently disconnecting the battery resolves the problem.  I suspect that as the battery ages, the voltage drops off on boot-up, possibly causing a BIOS/CMOS issue, resulting in the BIOS not loading the TPM.  I recently upgraded the BIOS to the latest version V 1.15.0 (2019-05-23), but even this did not fix the problem.  Dell needs update the BIOS to resolve this problem.

11 Posts

August 7th, 2019 23:00

It looks like Dell released a new BIOS with release notes: Fixed the issue where the TPM option disappears from the BIOS setup menu intermittently.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/nl/nl/nlbsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=M6JTG&oscode=WT64A&productcode=xps-15-9560-laptop

I haven't been able to test it, but maybe you can test it?

3 Posts

August 10th, 2019 09:00

I updates the BIOS to V 1.16 at it appears to have resolved the problem.

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

August 10th, 2019 15:00

I also did installed the new firmware, but it did not solved the problem....

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

August 11th, 2019 10:00

I also did that.

After the disconnect i also hold the power-button for 30-60 seconds.

I also remove my memory modules, but it didn't solved anything...............

3 Posts

August 11th, 2019 10:00

If you're still having the problem where you're being prompted for the bitlocker recovery key at boot-up, remove the back cover, disconnect the battery, then reconnect.  That cleared the problem for me.

3 Posts

August 16th, 2019 17:00

Well ... I have nearly the same issues with the tpm module as described in this thread. The fun part is, that I have this errors since I installed the new BIOS 1.16. Before this moment I did not know anything about this kind of error.

I don't want to rush into anything here! Although I have to tell you that it looks like the 1.16 bios update has messed up my tpm module quite a bit.

4 Posts

August 22nd, 2019 14:00

The same happened to me. No problems until i updated Firmware to 1.16. Now i get an error each time i boot, saying "Alert! TPM device ist not detecte".

1 Message

September 26th, 2019 04:00

Same problem here - after the latest Dell suggested firmware upgrade.

January 12th, 2020 12:00

Hello everyone,

Yes, I am another victim of Dell's poor quality control and software testing. 

Currently I am running a Dell XPS15 with 32GB.   I upgraded to the 1.16 and behold my TPM device disappeared. 

If I backup to 1.15 I can get back my TPM device.  Currently I am 1.18 and every time I reboot my system I have to endure the "Alert TPM device is not detected message." 

I can understand how small instability issues can arise during software updates but come on Dell!   A BIOS update that removes a key component of the hardware.  How does this escape quality control and testing?

Has anyone figured how to solve this issue?

Thanks,

Mark

April 1st, 2020 21:00

Faced with the same issue as the above...

No Events found!