Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

11 Posts

April 4th, 2020 04:00

XPS 15 9570, Slide to Shutdown, random restarts

Right after my warranty ended I started getting random "slide to shutdown prompts" whereby even if you slide the screen up with your mouse it still shutsdown/restarts right after. My XPS is unusable for any professional work. For the last year this has never been an issue. Diagnostics reported nothing wrong.

When in windows boot menu, windows cautioned me to stop pressing the power button so it could do it's task. Thing is, I wasn't even pressing the power button.

Because of this I reckoned it was a hardware issue, but I have examined the switch and it looks fine, obviously I wouldn't know.

Unless there is some other software that runs in the background in windows boot that could be starting this? This could possibly be related to the ASF force off issue, but I have never looked at a bios log.

The ram is seated correctly.

I have always treated this unit meticulously.

Incredibly disappointing from Dell.

Can anyone please help?

So far I have not seen any solutions on the Dell community board.

Thanks

4 Posts

April 6th, 2020 11:00

I am having the same issue. My laptop restarts without any known cause or trigger.  It will randomly shut down and all the work I am doing will not even auto recover. 

I was using my laptop for 3 months and I started experiencing this issue. Whiles in BIOS or Windows 10 recovery the laptop can go off. I have updated all that I can. 

I downgraded my Intel Thermal Framework which made the laptop stable for three days but it’s back to being a jerk. The laptop is very frustrating. I really need help 

11 Posts

April 6th, 2020 12:00

Hey Homie @Ganyobi 

I know, there is very little help on this issue. I was wondering if I had a brick in my hands.

I recently stripped down the entire laptop to examine the switch, everything seemed fine, but also, what would I know, I am not an engineer!

Anyway I put the whole thing back together again, and it booted into windows recovery, I chose Reset Windows, (this time it didn't restart) and so far everything seems fine.

I recommend taking off the back case and unplugging the battery, then pressing the power button for 15 - 30 seconds to drain any flea power, before plugging back in. Then try a windows reset and see what happens.

I've heard that hard resets, also just by pressing the off button for 15 secs can help with bootloops.

So I recommend trying either of these.

Good luck.

11 Posts

April 7th, 2020 14:00

Never mind I'm still getting slide to shutdown issues. Gonna try bios recovery

4 Posts

April 10th, 2020 12:00

I have been speaking to Dell Support.

As at now, I am currently using my laptop in a clean boot mode and its been a whole day no shutdown yet. Seems to be working fine. 

Refer this article https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/how16542/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-10-to-troubleshoot-software-conflicts?lang=en  and keep me posted. 

I will let you in on update when i get them.

11 Posts

April 13th, 2020 03:00

Hey @Ganyobi 

Thanks for the reply. How was this fix been treating you so far? I am going to DM you my email to better communicate.

If you are still restarting check your bios power logs - I had WDT errors and ASF 2 force off errors, which better documented than slide to shutdown issues.

To troubleshoot mine better I am going to unplug the battery and run off AC power only to check that it isn't some hardware related battery issue.

Correct me if I am wrong but the fix has to do more with isolating what start up programs may be causing the issue? Someone else mentioned that Citrix was the issue for them, if you even have that installed.

Check your DMs!

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

April 13th, 2020 15:00

I've had an odd issue with the 9550 manifesting by the laptop waking up in my bag, and subsequently refusing to sleep/hibernate/soft shutdown - it would restart after a couple of seconds. 

Debugging the Event log etc I found the problem was with the "Hibernate After" feature. The laptop woke up to switchover to Hibernate, but failed and woke up to this weird state instead. Worked around by turning off Hibernate After. 

Of course, your issue may be unrelated. 

2 Posts

May 16th, 2020 10:00

I'm having the exact same issue. In my event log its saying someone pressed the power button sometimes and I'm not touch that either. I have ran all the diagnostics and it comes back clean. Has anyone fully resolved this issue yet?

11 Posts

May 16th, 2020 12:00

As far as I know no-one has solved it.

I've just done a clean install of Windows and inserted a new CMOS battery and am still getting it.

If you find a solution or at least cause of the issue please post here.

1 Message

May 18th, 2020 08:00

I tried to open a case with Dell's support since mine is still under warranty. However, since I upgraded my system to windows 10 pro with my own Microsoft license key, they deny my support. It's crazy that the same computer can be ordered with Pro, but since I have Microsoft Partner Licensing and chose to save $100 when ordering this and used my companies license directly from Microsoft, they will not help me. I guess I will have to reload with home and wait for the issue to happen again. I can't believe a company could deny support for this reason.

3 Posts

July 12th, 2020 02:00

Has anyone been able to solve this issue yet? For me, it started a few days ago, first occasionally, and now my laptop has been rendered useless. I'm stressing about it going off while I'm typing this out. It happens at least every 5 minutes or so. Slide to shutdown pops up and without ANY prompt from me it will instantly shut down. Sometimes also when I move or touch the laptop. 

11 Posts

July 12th, 2020 02:00

Hey man, I think it's some sort of hardware issue. Likely some short or bad motherboard connection. You likely need a new MB. I haven't even fixed mine yet.

3 Posts

August 23rd, 2020 00:00

Does anyone have a solution to this problem yet? I have had both my motherboard and fan replaced and this fixed the issue for about two months, but now it's back. Yesterday the slide-to-shutdown screen reappeared 3 times. Lappy would even shutdown at startup while booting. I know the frequency of these occurrences will only go up from here on out, this is exactly what happened the last time. I'm stressed out about my lappy shutting down as I type this. 

11 Posts

August 23rd, 2020 01:00

Sell the laptop man, would be my advice. I'm selling mine as is.

I would have thought it was the motherboard. Perhaps it is also the touch ID board too?

4 Posts

October 30th, 2020 03:00

Same here man, on Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gamjng laptop.

I'm experiencing this more after the new windows, intel and Dell updates not long ago.

I'm just frustrated. Especially knowing a lot of people are experiencing this problem and not a single Dell employees seem to care

1 Message

January 22nd, 2021 05:00

Exactly the same problem with a new Dell Latitude 5510. Fortunately, it's still under warranty, but I don't know how I can prove the problem, since it appears randomly (e.g., it may happen 2-3 times one day, and then re-appear after 3 days). Has anyone solved this problem yet?

No Events found!