Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

9 Posts

October 13th, 2018 19:00

XPS 9570, TB16, Ubuntu Charging Failure

Hi All,

After getting everything to behave exactly as I would like following my previous post, I am now unable to charge my XPS 9570 from my TB16 Dock.  This issue came up after the latest Firmware update via the Ubuntu Software Center.  To be clear, here is my setup:

Laptop: XPS 9570

Dock: TB16

After I updated my BIOS via the Firmware update downloaded from the Ubuntu Software Center, I found my TB16 would no longer charge the battery on my XPS 9570.  The OS displays the status and icon to indicate it is charging, however battery percentage continuously drains.  I have verified the battery drain by the indicator lights on the right side of the laptop as well as the battery status in the BIOS Setup.  Additionally, now if I try to reboot my laptop while connected to my TB16 I get a brief error message while the Dell logo is displayed stating an error with the Thunderbolt connection which triggers a reboot.  I would sincerely appreciate any insight into how I can investigate this issue or any potential resolution.

3 Posts

February 6th, 2019 07:00

So - the XPS15 9570 REQUIRES 130W of power to charge and keep the system resources running at 100% (Read 1st reply here).  So the TB16 with the 180 or 240 watt supply should be enough to both charge and operate your system at 100%.  I had to do a couple of things to make sure that the TB16 ran properly with my XPS15.

1. Make sure you have the most current BIOS installed (1.7)
  2. Make sure the Thunderbolt 3 boot/security is disabled Steps to update/disable Thunderbolt 3 boot security
  3. Enable and authorize the thunderbolt 3 cable and dock in settings->devices->thunderbolt

ALL of these steps are required to get your XPS15 to work properly with the TB16.

Good luck! And let us know how you did!

Mike 

No Events found!