Unsolved

Closed

A

1 Rookie

• 

80 Posts

October 29th, 2021 21:00

XPS 9710 RAID 0

I have two 1tb Nvme drives installed, currently one for the OS (C drive) and the other one as a secondary drive (D drive). Is there any way to convert this configuration to a single 2tb RAID 0 drive? Thanks

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

October 30th, 2021 04:00

The answer is yes, you can -- but should not.  RAID 0 doesn't boost performance much, if at all vs separate drives, and it carries one very major downside:  lose either drive, and you lose everything.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

October 30th, 2021 10:00

It's not clear why you want this -- in fact you're better off leaving the two drives separate, but use the Intel RAID software to do the job:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005815/technologies.html

16 Posts

October 30th, 2021 10:00

But.... how?  I tried using storage spaces and have the bios set to raid.  I think the difference from setting up raid on a server is that the controller has two slots.  So, I use the Dell Recovery and I am not able to setup a single 2Tb drive with 2x1Tb.  I am not interested in speed, these drives are super fast (both are Gen4 nvme with 7k/6k in read write).  Is there no documentation that I can print and guides me through this?

1 Rookie

• 

80 Posts

October 30th, 2021 22:00

You're right, after some research I found that the performance increase is very little, and in some cases there's even a performance drop. So not worth the hassle and the increased risk of corruption.

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

January 19th, 2022 12:00

I think the reason is because I read that the 9710 only has a total of 4 pcie lanes for both hard drives so if you were to raid 0 two drives you'd get x2 raid speeds and not x4 speeds. So to piggyback off the op's question, I would specifically like to confirm or not that the dell 9710 has total of 4 pcie lanes for both ssd's or 4 pcie lanes EACH?

(edited)

September 23rd, 2022 03:00

Hi There, i actually I passed through this painful process with dell support & ended up with nothing i own dell XPS 9520 the core i9 edition and i chose to replace the standard M.2 with 2 Samsung 1TB Gen4 980 PRO in raid 0 and i know the benefits & risks . i installed the 2 drives  , configured my RAID 0 array ,prepared the win10 installation & i added the intel drivers to load . But after the 1st restart of win10 installation it failed to boot error "\EFI\microsoft\boot\BCD 0xc0000225". i contacted DELL Support & to summarize the very long useless discussion with them ,they made me install windows 10 5 times and every time it failed and eventually they said this machine purchased without RAID configuration so we can't support you . put your drives as separate 

No Events found!