Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

January 3rd, 2023 12:00

XPS 9710, problems, no support

A few months after I bought, the XPS 9710 would crash, show colorful random blocks and loud screeching noise until I hard reset it. In the end, the motherboard was replaced and I was physically present during the swap and the tech let me know the motherboard is bad due to leaky capacitors.

The XPS 9710 worked good until recently, then the problem is happening again and I decided to send the XPS 9710 in for a thorough check up. But it appears no thorough checkup has been done. A few hours after they received the laptop, they told me it was due to my non-Dell memory.

1) I still had the original Dell memory sticks Dell had sent me. When I use those the problems still happen.

2) The problem is intermittent and can sometimes take days or weeks to happen, although it can happen multiple times in a day.

I have pro support and I am really thinking they're just gonna mess me over on this, making me buy parts and playing back and forth with my laptop with no resolution.

This is my work laptop, so when I get my laptop back, I'm not going to be able to use it. I will probably have to just stress test it myself and when the problem happens again, I will send it in again.

So basically, there is a chance I will be actually testing this myself with the "technicians" just becoming parts sellers.

Has anyone gone through similar problems with the Dell XPS 9710 or any other XPS products?

I think there might be a problem with the batch of hardware or the thermal/cooling system is badly designed.

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

January 5th, 2023 10:00

After a week of back and forth and fighting everyone I called, threatened to be hung up on for "not listening," they finally did something different other than try to sell me memory.

They found something wrong with the display (they are saying the microphone is not functioning), replaced the whole assembly and shipped it back.

I am hopeful because some people with similar problems as mine are saying the root had to do with some of the audio components not playing right with the rest of the system.

I requested they visually look over the motherboard to see if there are any leaky capacitors, but no mention of it.

Will extensively test it once I get it back to day and put load on it.

It seems it is common practice to actually not look everything over like they claim. They just try to find the easy way out by identifying any aftermarket upgrades and trying to sell you on dell parts.

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

January 26th, 2023 20:00

Laptop is working good.

Have been putting it through its paces like usual and no crashes.

No Events found!