Start a Conversation

Unsolved

U

2 Posts

June 8th, 2022 17:00

XPS 9720 with RTX 3060 GPU - Drawing 19-20W of power when idle?

I'm desperately hoping that somebody can help me resolve this inexplicable problem.

I recently picked up an XPS 9720 with the i7-12700H processor and a RTX 3060 GPU running on Windows 11.

I was surprised to find that my battery life was extremely poor, topping out at only two and a half hours while the computer was running completely idle. I'm serious: I was doing absolutely nothing, and the machine was burning through power.

To determine the cause of the problem, I downloaded HWiNFO to figure out where the power draw was coming from.

I was shocked to find the RTX 3060 was drawing a ridiculous 19-20W of power when completely idle.

I have tried virtually everything to troubleshoot this:

• I have entered the NVIDIA Control Panel and set my Global settings to Integrated Graphics.

• I have entered the Windows Graphics settings and disabled Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling.

• I have updated all system drivers and the BIOS to the most recent version.

• I have entered the Windows Graphics settings and enabled power-saving for many of my most intensive applications.

• I have enabled the NVIDIA GPU Activity Notification icon and confirmed that the GPU is not active.

• I have installed both the Game Ready and the Studio drivers, with no difference using either one.

• I have disabled and re-enabled the graphics driver, with no difference before or after doing this.

• I have disabled visual effects in Windows 11 (including transparency and animations).

• I have checked the Task Manager to confirm that none of the processes are using the GPU, and confirmed that they are not.

This issue is going to make me tear my hair out, because my brand new machine is literally burning through battery life while running completely idle because of the RTX 3060.

Why the heck is this card pulling so much power while I'm doing absolutely nothing? Does anybody have any kind of solution to this?

1.png

• 

25.1K Posts

June 9th, 2022 11:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

November 12th, 2022 15:00

I received 9720 as a replacement unit for 9700, which was terrible thermal throttling. However, similarly to the machine of the author of this post, my brand new laptop eats through a battery in 2-3 hours, consuming 30-40W in idle. Such a problematic series of notebooks. It's insane how much trouble I had with my 9700 and now with my 9720.

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

November 13th, 2022 21:00

So any laptop that has a 3060 will have these issues?  How about others who have a 3050 or 3050ti?  Anyone notice similar issues with it drawing this much watts?

What program are you using to check that?

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

November 14th, 2022 06:00

I think it's hit or miss. I played a bit with setting and the consumption dropped to 15-20W idle. Which is still too much though...

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

June 25th, 2023 00:00

How you check how much watts you are using?  Can you download a program for that or you need to buy the physical thing for it?

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

July 8th, 2023 19:00

How can you check how much Watt your laptop is using?

1 Rookie

• 

14 Posts

August 5th, 2023 00:00

Sadly, this is normal behavior, same thing on my XPS 9730. These machines are just so buggy...

No Events found!