Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 10th, 2019 12:00

XPS USB-C Thunderbolt - charging and extenal display port at the same time?

Hi,

I have an XPS 13 9360 with one USB-C port and I use it to charge the laptop and also as a external LCD display port (using USB-C to HDMI adapter). But if I work for hours the battery is drained and I have to unplug the external LCD monitor and start charging. Is there a way (an adapter) that I can do both at the same time - charging and using external LCD monitor?

thanks for helping ....

Regards

Mitja

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 10th, 2019 15:00

You want a display cable that allows you to plug a power source into it so that the cable can carry video and pass power through to the system. These exist in both HDMI and DisplayPort form. If you want HDMI, here is an example: https://www.amazon.com/Charging-Thunderbolt-Compatible-TECHDOTY-Adapter/dp/B078J27WTB

There are also some “mini-docks” that plug in via USB-C and give you HDMI and USB ports (and sometimes SD card readers and Ethernet) and also support power passthrough, but those more complex adapters often take some power from the power source to offer powered USB ports, which means less power gets through to the system. If you would like something like that, then since you have an XPS 13 that only requires a 45W power source, you could get a 60W+ power source to use, in which case there will still be at least 45W to pass through to the system even after the mini-dock takes some power for itself. But if you just need a display cable, the item I linked above should work.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 10th, 2019 15:00

@mitja123  in addition to my reply above, the XPS 13 9360 includes a barrel-style connector meant for the power adapter right next to its USB-C port. The system supports charging via USB-C as well, but the AC adapter that actually shipped with that system plugs into the barrel-style connector, in which case you could charge your system that way while keeping the USB-C port free for video. Those chargers are pretty easy to find if you don’t already have one.

3 Posts

November 10th, 2019 23:00

Thanks for the answers, exactly what I needed.

Furthermore, I have a barrel-style-connector charger, but only in the office. At home, I just have an additional DELL USB-C charger. So your suggested adapter would be perfect. I will check the watts.

Best regards

• 

25.7K Posts

November 11th, 2019 09:00

Hi, 

So, Is there anything else that I can assist you with?

-Vivek

• 

25.7K Posts

November 12th, 2019 08:00

Hi,

If there is no other issue.I will be archiving the case for now and you can always get back to us with the reference number 41310317 if in case if there is any issues. 

DELL-Vivek

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell

No Events found!