Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

3 Posts

April 23rd, 2020 18:00

XPS and TPM

Hi guys,

FYI this is more an open discussion I'm not in need of dell support as I am already working with a Agent

Can anyone confirm if my 2017 Dell XPS 15 9560 does, in fact, have TPM? After jumping hoops with dell support we are sending my laptop out to them to be repaired, possibly a new motherboard. For the previous year, I have struggled with receiving Alert! TPM device not detected upon boot. 

Yes, I can revert to almost the original bios and I no longer receive this message. But that's just a temporary fix and I don't want to be stuck on old software. Let alone the fact I still am unable to access TPM features on the older software. 

Just annoying so id rather knows if dell is gonna hold my laptop for three weeks just to send it back with downgraded software in order to remove the error. Or if I'm supposed to have a TPM and should fight to get a feature that should be embedded in my laptop already. 

Thank you for the read,

Jack

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

April 23rd, 2020 19:00

@Jack514  Unless that system was sold in an area of the world where TPMs are prohibited by regulations, it should have a TPM.  Dell has included TPMs as standard in pretty much all of their desktops and laptops for quite a while now.

11 Posts

June 15th, 2020 11:00

I have some problem in my laptop Dell xps 9560
when i turned ON the laptop

Alert! TPM device is NOT detected

Need to click on 'continue' Everytime the system boots up.

2 Posts

February 2nd, 2021 18:00

@Jack514 

I have the same exact issue with my XPS 15 9560. I've been working with an agent for the past few hours and they tried everything they can think of. But the TPM error persists. They are asking me to send my laptop to Dell Hardware Support folks saying it is a motherboard issue. Were you ever able to get this issue resolved? 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 2nd, 2021 20:00

I have the same exact issue with my XPS 15 9560. I've been working with an agent for the past few hours and they tried everything they can think of. But the TPM error persists.

====================

Were you (ever) able to install this? It only needs to be done once ... ever.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=rf87d&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-15-9560-laptop

3 Posts

February 2nd, 2021 21:00

I have gotten it fixed since. Turns out something went wrong in my motherboard during a bios update. Since it was a normal dell bios update they got my PC shipped out and replaced the motherboard free of charge. The tech stated that since the problem occurred through a dell "approved" update it would be free of charge. Pain however it worked out in the end. 

3 Posts

February 2nd, 2021 21:00

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2021 03:00

@Jack514 It would be good if they can replace it for free for me as well. Although my laptop is not in warranty anymore. Were you required to have warranty to be able to do it?

@Tesla1856 Yes, I did try to install the TPM Firmware 1.2 and TPM Firmware 2.0. Both of them failed with the error - TPM query failed aborting

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 3rd, 2021 13:00

@Tesla1856 Yes, I did try to install the TPM Firmware 1.2 and TPM Firmware 2.0. Both of them failed with the error - TPM query failed aborting

=================

I had the Disable the TPM first. Here are my notes from doing it on my XPS-13 (9300). Use your machine's files instead.

-----------

With SecureBoot (temporarily) still off,
Tried to apply TPM firmware update. Said TPM was "owned"
AFAIK, not really using TPM in OS yet.
In BIOS, set TPM-State to Disabled (do not use upper-option to completely Deactivate TPM-2.0)
- Then clear-TPM. Save all that to a Custom-User-Settings and reboot.
Now, DELLTPM_STHC1_20_74.64.0.0_64.exe WORKED!
In BIOS, set TPM-State to Enabled (now that TPM firmware is done).

No Events found!