Start a Conversation

Unsolved

BW

2 Posts

January 16th, 2020 09:00

XPS > HDMI > Dell 2408 WFP Monitor Connections Problems

I'm trying to connect my XPS 15 running windows 10 via HDMI to a Dell 2408 WFP monitor. The monitor is not being recognized or detected by the computer when I try to set it up in the control panel and the monitor just quickly goes into power save mode. I've tested the monitor and hdmi cable to ensure they are both working with my apple tv and it worked immediately with no problems so I know the monitor and cable are good. I also tested the computer and hdmi cable with my television and it worked fine so I know the hdmi jack on the computer is working okay. I updated all of the drivers on the computer, reset the computer and monitor, but still not working. I just can't get the XPS to even recognize this dell monitor which is weird as they are both dell products. If anyone has any suggestions for how to make this work I would really appreciate it as I would hate to have to replace a monitor that works fine with other technology just not with the computer that I need it on. 

Thanks!

January 16th, 2020 12:00

Crazy, I just tried the 2408 monitor with my wife's new HP computer and it works just fine. Can't understand why this Dell product works with every other brand except my Dell laptop. 

• 

25.7K Posts

January 17th, 2020 03:00

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to write back whenever you are available.

272 Posts

January 17th, 2020 05:00

Have you tried tweaking the devices settings in the hardware and sound settings of the control panel?

That way you can try to get the monitor to be recognized by the laptop.

6 Posts

January 18th, 2020 06:00

why do mods private message here?

seems to me this defeats the purpose of a FORUM and that is  also creepy!

anyways 

does your dell monitor have the same ratio as your screen?

1 Message

June 29th, 2020 08:00

I have the same issue with my precision...did you find a solution?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

June 29th, 2020 10:00

@Bob Weaver  Is this an XPS 15 9570?  The XPS 15 has had several generations over the years, so just saying "XPS 15" is a bit like saying "BMW 3 Series", in that it doesn't really identify a specific model.  And are you actually connecting to the 2408WFP's HDMI port rather than its DVI input using an HDMI to DVI cable/adapter?  The reason I ask is that the XPS 15 9570 has a known issue that causes its HDMI output to be unusable with DVI inputs on displays.  Dell hasn't even officially acknowledged the issue, never mind come forth with an explanation of underlying cause (to say nothing of a fix), but a large number of XPS 15 9570 owners have reported this issue after testing with multiple displays and multiple cables/adapters -- and nobody has reported success as far as I've seen.

If you're just using a regular HDMI cable to the 2408WFP's regular HDMI input, then based on you having validated your system and cable with another display/TV and having validated your display and cable with another HDMI source device, I'm admittedly not sure what to suggest next.  If Windows Display Settings and Intel HD Graphics Control Panel (or Command Center, depending on driver version) don't even detect the display, then you can't even experiment with setting up custom resolutions -- which you shouldn't have to do at all of course, but that might have given you a workaround.

No Events found!