Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 3rd, 2019 10:00

XPS15 9560 stuck on logo - need to boot twice for windows

Hi

My laptop is stuck on the Dell logo when the first time i power it after a shutdown.
I have to manually press the power button to power OFF and than power ON again to boot successfully, but this time the booting is a little slower and i could see the spinning wheel for few seconds under the Dell logo.

The same is not the case when i restart my Laptop from Windows.- it boots perfect with a small delay(spinning wheel).

So, Every time I shut down the laptop, I have to power ON, power OFF then power ON to boot successfully.

My Bios is up to date and the diagnostics - without any errors.

I found a post on the community forum where someone suggested turning off(Uncheck) "Fast startup" in "Power settings" as a temporary solution.

I tested this and seems it no more hangs on Dell Logo, but the booting to windows is slower with the spinning wheel.

Team any permanent solution?

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

September 10th, 2019 12:00

@tm_XPS15 

Only had enough time to look threw a few hundred today.

The only XPS models I found where:

12-9Q23

13-9343

13-9350

13-L321X

15-9550

When I pulled the 15-9550 from one of the stacks I thought I found it.

But no such luck.

I still have a few pallets "200-300 laptops"  to check tomorrow.

Let you all know if I find one.

Regards,

U2

On a personal note: I like the 9550 thin lightweight nice keyboard.

If I find a 9560 I might just keep it for myself??? 

1 Message

September 10th, 2019 16:00

I have the same model doing the same thing.  It started a few days ago, before that there were no issues. I don't allow it to hibernate, and It would awake from sleep by moving the mouse before. Now I have to power down to get it back. I went into power settings and turned of Sleep and ensured no Hibernate in all modes: Plugged in, On Battery, & close lid.  It did not affect the need to manually power down and re-start.  I am going to try turning off fast-start, (edit: fast-boot in my options) but I see from other posts, that may or may not help.  I do like to be able to do some things while it completes it's startup, so I won't be a fan of leaving Fast-Start off. 

Update: 9/11/2019 -  I decided not to change fast-boot, but while I was in the BIOS setup, POST behavior menu, I clicked on "Extend BIOS POST Time" and added a 5-second delay so I could read the POST sequence on-screen.  Surprise, surprise - adding the delay made it start every time on the initial power up.  It adds 5 second to startup, but I don''t have to boot twice.  Hope this helps.

September 11th, 2019 01:00

Just a thought - could it be related to a recent Windows 10 update? It seems to hang at the point where we expect the swirly dots to appear. That's where Windows takes over isn't it?

I see one person spent time with Dell working on the Bios but no luck. Has anyone tried rolling back a recent Windows 10 update? Just throwing an idea out there.

September 11th, 2019 08:00

updated windows to Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 on 8/6. Problem started right after running bios update and others suggested using Dell Support Assist about a 5 days ago. Turning off Fast Boot did not work here either. Have to Force restart with Power button to boot. So far, works throughout the day when closing lid ... only seems to happen on first boot after overnight. 

4 Posts

September 11th, 2019 08:00

I can't speak for everyone but in my case it happened right after the Dell Support Assistant update.

Just as an update to my situation, last night I disabled fast start as was suggested here and it solved the problem.  but now it takes significantly longer for my machine to boot into windows.  But at least I don't have to do the double boot to get it going.

4 Posts

September 11th, 2019 19:00

I received a message on here from a DCFAdmin and they say they recommend replacing the motherboard.

Is DCFAdmin a legitimate Dell rep or is this spam of some sort?  I think motherboard replacement sounds a bit extreme.

Thanks

7 Posts

September 12th, 2019 01:00

Hi there!

I must report exactly the same issue. I am 100% sure, this started to happen immediately after the last Dell update an happens every time since then. We need a fix!

Regards
Mag's

September 12th, 2019 01:00

Its almost definitely not a hardware fault. With so many 9560's failing after the same driver update it would have to be software related.

My suspicion is its related to waking from hibernation state. Seeing as it resumes from sleep state (s3) fine and from a power off boot fine as well, the only thing in between those two is hibernation (s4) where the OS attempts to resume state from the disk. I think the latest bios update has introduced an bug preventing that from working.

4 Posts

September 12th, 2019 05:00

I'm having the exact same problem with my XPS 15 9560. It started after the most recent BIOS update. DELL broke my laptop. I'm thinking they did so in hopes I'd buy a new one. I might. But it won't be a DELL.

1 Message

September 12th, 2019 08:00

I'm having the exact same problem presumably since a BIOS firmware update. My BIOS version is: 1.16.0

6 Posts

September 12th, 2019 09:00

Tried Maintguy's hack -- opened BIOS and clicked on "Extend BIOS POST Time" and added a 5-second delay. Still jammed this morning so that isn't fixing it for me and likely won't for others. Surprised nobody from DELL has joined this thread since so many customers are having issues.

6 Posts

September 12th, 2019 11:00

I turned off "fast startup" as well - still not a solution.

14 Posts

September 12th, 2019 12:00

The Dell Support staff (via e-mail) have already CONFIRMED to me it is a software issue - it's not a motherboard problem. But they want me to spend money (as my 9560 is outside of warranty) to fix it. They also confirmed that it was caused by their Dell Update of the BIOS. It's a Dell-caused problem. But indeed, turning off "Fast start-up" didn't fix it for me.

2 Posts

September 13th, 2019 06:00

Isn't there a way to revert back to a previous BIOS?

September 13th, 2019 06:00

I think the problem started with 1.16.0. I rolled back to 1.15.0 but had the same problem. And 1.14.3 failed to install. Will try some other earlier versions when I have some more time.

No Events found!