Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 3rd, 2019 10:00

XPS15 9560 stuck on logo - need to boot twice for windows

Hi

My laptop is stuck on the Dell logo when the first time i power it after a shutdown.
I have to manually press the power button to power OFF and than power ON again to boot successfully, but this time the booting is a little slower and i could see the spinning wheel for few seconds under the Dell logo.

The same is not the case when i restart my Laptop from Windows.- it boots perfect with a small delay(spinning wheel).

So, Every time I shut down the laptop, I have to power ON, power OFF then power ON to boot successfully.

My Bios is up to date and the diagnostics - without any errors.

I found a post on the community forum where someone suggested turning off(Uncheck) "Fast startup" in "Power settings" as a temporary solution.

I tested this and seems it no more hangs on Dell Logo, but the booting to windows is slower with the spinning wheel.

Team any permanent solution?

7 Posts

November 13th, 2019 11:00

Thnx for your message, it worked for me for the moment, now lets see if it will work for the long run.

7 Posts

November 13th, 2019 11:00

@U2CAMEB4ME 

First of all thanks for your support and answering questions in this forum, I appreciate it a lot.

Secondly, I still have one problem with this dell, and for what i have read so far a lot of other users have the same issue and that is, slow booting, i have tried several things already like, update firmware, change fast start up, go into bios and change some boot options, or no usb boot, and changing delay error or something to 5 sec. I have tried almost everything what i could find for now but the issue is till there, boot time is about 20 seconds or more. Dell xps 9360 i7, 8gb ram 256gb m.2. Hopefully you have some more info about it or an solution for faster booting.

thnx in advance

7 Posts

November 17th, 2019 00:00

guys!

why do you turn an "xps 9560" thread into a "xps 9360" trouble-shooting thread ?

THERE IS STILL NO DELL SOLUTION FOR THE XPS15 9560 PROBLEM!

the end of tech support for the xps's 9560 is near...

at the moment it looks like DELL makes its machines remote-controlled unusable...

1 Message

November 18th, 2019 05:00

NVM3 PC300 NVMe SK hy

Microsoft

3 Posts

November 26th, 2019 00:00

I have NVMe PM961 NVMe SAMSU (same Ms Driver, same date and version 10.0.18362.1) and experienced the same problems when the BIOS update was first pushed. I immediately flashed back 1.15 and the issue disappeared. Except for the constant notification to upgrade.
Gepi

7 Posts

November 30th, 2019 16:00

I'm not sure why you say there is no solution magx. See my last post a few up. Updated drivers fine now.

1 Message

December 17th, 2019 13:00

I believe there can be many causes of this reported problem considering the amount of suggested solutions found throughout the web. In my case the XPS15 9560 was stuck at Dell logo each time it has entered hibernate (Suspend to disk). Hard Shut Down needed (Hold down the Power Button until the System shuts off). However Standby (Suspend to ram) always worked fine.

Here are the suggested solutions I found during debug of my problem:

1) Dells official guide “Steps for Fixing Computers that Do Not Wake Up or Resume from Suspend / Hibernate Mode but Power On”. I skipped reinstall of Windows.

2) RTC reset by holding down power button for 30 seconds from power off state (Dell support chat)

3) In BIOS disable C-state in Performance menu. (Dell support chat)

4) Rollback of BIOS to 1.15 and 1.14.3 (This thread)

5) Rollback of IRST to 16.8.3.1003 (This thread)

After IRST rollback my system started to work correctly. During IRST rollback test I however found out that the current IRST driver was version 17.5.0.1017 which is a newer version than the one provided in Dells latest SATA driver package A05 which actually is the 16.8.3.1003.

In order to ensure that the older IRST driver was used I first removed the 17.5.0.1017 driver. This also removed the Intel Optane driver which fixed the Intel Optane pinning dll warning.

Since it worked I again upgraded the BIOS back to 1.16 and enabled c-state in BIOS. It still worked and have started from hibernate since then.

I have no idea when the newer IRST driver was installed. It might have been part of some Windows update…..

Summary:

There seem not to be any problem with neither the latest Dell provided BIOS 1.16 nor the IRST 16.8.3.1003 driver.

However please check that there hasn’t been any newer IRST driver or Optane driver installed than the ones provided by Dell.

Hope this helps some of you get rid of this very annoying problem.

December 29th, 2019 15:00

Thanks for the note.  I've had the same/similar problem for the past year but with a Dell XPS 9365.   I'm posting here in an effort to bring these threads (Thread for XPS 9365) together.  Apparently this problem isn't isolated to a specific XPS model but to multiple models, and as you suggest, this makes it difficult to diagnose with many possible culprits.  

I, too, am frustrated with Dell Support on this.  They initially tried to assist with my problem but with no solution went silent.  With this thread and others, I'm hoping that someone realizes that a real problem exists and is not going away with a new Bios version, etc.   I've already banned any more XPSs being purchased in my company because of this issue.  

1 Message

January 3rd, 2020 00:00

Im (hopefully have been) suffering the sam issues witha 9560.

* bios 14/15/16 all tried

* some other setting tweaked in bios but cant trecall right now

* fast boot switched off

* a new motherboard

* rolled back to version 15 of itel rapid storage.

The last step seems to have fixed my laptop. Although after losing my patience, I only completed the last step last night, two months after the motherboard replacement (which did not help at all)

One day of testing is not conclusive but first results suggest an improvemnt.....

1 Message

January 13th, 2020 01:00

Hi I have an XPS15 with the PC300 NVMe SK hynix 512GB and have the same issue on boot up Start.

un-check "Turn on fast startup" has fixed the issue for me at the moment thanks.

1 Message

January 17th, 2020 07:00

Thanks, that fixed it for me. It was driving me crazy.

No Events found!