Start a Conversation

Unsolved

YD

4 Posts

August 15th, 2021 12:00

XPS15 Killer wi-fi ax1560s keeps dropping connections

Hi,

Just got XPS 15 9510 with touch.  Have been experiencing Killer Wi-Fi issue since the first day. Basically, it keeps dropping the connection.  Even when the icon in the status bar shows strong signals, I cannot do anything related to network.  It happens every a few minutes in the worst case.  I saw this link, https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiwrP2n2bPyAhWbFFkFHTsUBj4QFnoECAsQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dell.com%2Fcommunity%2FXPS%2FXPS-15-7590-Killer-Wireless-1650-WiFi-issues%2Ftd-p%2F7365381&usg=AOvVaw3BiVnxXxH8bNGKwpMvgrQJ&cshid=1629053774629421.

Somehow, I couldn't reply there.

I have submitted a service request using the link suggested in the post above.   .  Please help.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

August 15th, 2021 23:00

I would strongly recommend upgrading your Router if you havent already. 

It may be working fine with your older devices but not with these High end Killer Chips. A better WIFI 6 router with MIMO power save protocol will give better connection and extremely high speeds. 

In device manager > network adapter > killer > Properties, 

Disable Power save . 

August 18th, 2021 20:00

Thanks for the help.

First, replacing the router is not a solution for now.  We will consider a new one in the near future.  Anyhow, we didn't have the issue with other devices (e.g., new Macbook Pro and new phones).

I tried to turn off the MIMO Power Save Mode this evening.  It seems slightly better, but still keeps dropping the connections (again, the icon in the task tray always showed strong signals), like 2-3 times in an hour.

• 

17K Posts

August 19th, 2021 11:00

Yonggang Dell,

On your connection are you using the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi signal?  If not,  switch to the 2.5 instead of the 5ghz. Also, try changing your channel access point.

Dell-Jesse L

August 20th, 2021 17:00

Thanks, Jesse.

I switched to 2.4GHz yesterday.  It worked fine yesterday evening when I worked on online editing and processing emails in outlook.  When I had online meetings today, it broke up several times.  I had to switch to another external adapter I have.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

August 21st, 2021 01:00

AS a last resource you may Try older version of the driver

August 21st, 2021 09:00

which version should I try to go back?

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

August 21st, 2021 21:00

In your first post you have mentioned, Killer WIFI 1560

XPS 9510 comes only with Killer AX1650s

This Driver was released last year and is known to be stable, 

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=2fv4f

Please Pause windows updates

In control panel > program and features : Remove everything which says Killer 

Removed Killer Control Center. 

Now install this Drivers 

(optional) Please make a note that windows update may try to overwrite the driver. 

You may use following troubleshooter to block the update is windows update tries to overwrite it. 

1 Message

February 1st, 2022 17:00

People always blame the router/modem. I bought a new one and the Dell still loses connection.

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

May 16th, 2024 15:46

Using a 6 month old Euro 6+ Router, and my XPS 15 9510 still has frequent wifi dropouts. (Like every 5 minutes or less!!)

I frequently do the Dell updates, & Windows11 updates.   Why is this problem not addressed in the Dell updates?    I am not eager to start deviating from the Dell prescribed updates by side-loading drivers. 

This is very annoying - we have 2 other dell laptops (Inspiron 15 and my work Dell laptop) and tens of other devices on 2.4G and 5G and none of them have a dropout problem. 

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

June 15th, 2024 21:32

I use Dell XPS15 as well but a more recent one: 9530. I installed a Fedora linux on that and keep it updated. 

I experience exactly the same when using access point with multiple boxes (like Telekom  provides a network connection and also 3-4 box and they are hooked to each other via WIFI and provide the coverage on that way).

Using only 1 wifi  or not ISP provided WIFI then it looks ok.

This means that either there is a HW issue or the vendor provided network driver has a bug.

This should be managed by Dell.

Unfortunately my 10 years old Sony laptop has issue with the wifi card until I purchased a new one and replaced.

Companies iike Dell, Sony and sometimes Garmin (depending on country) loves to forget answering and trying to prove that is clearly their mistake.

Also XPS15 battery time is terrible. It was advertised for 8 hours and 3 hour is the record so far. No, I do not use games or CPU intensive task. Running a linux, started a browser with 7 window. That's all. 

30 minutes so far and 25% of battery already gone. No, brightness is at middle so it is not the source of the problem.

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

August 8th, 2024 18:17

I have suffered endless problems with my wifi, despite Dell replacing the card in my XPS twice. Now I can't connect to a printer on the same network, and the wifi keeps dropping. Other devices using the same network are connecting fine. A few days ago I spent *3 hours* on a fruitless online chat with Dell technical, and then solved the problem myself (or so I thought) by doing a Network Reset. Now it's returned. Everything is up to date, I even downloaded the latest driver from the Killer site just to be sure. I've now fixed it using a wired connection to the network. But that won't work when I'm away from home.
Not planning to buy a Dell again. But in the meantime, any help appreciated.

No Events found!