Start a Conversation

Unsolved

WD

1 Message

May 30th, 2019 05:00

XPS9570 all of a sudden stopped charging through thunderbolt port.

Hi,

I have a Razer Core X external GPU enclosure connected to the Thunderbolt port (usb-c port) of my XPS 9570.

This combination always made it possible to deliver enough power through the usb-c port to operate and to charge the XPS 9570. I never had to connect my 130W Dell charging adapter (not even during gaming sessions or more demanding tasks).

It always worked, even though the XPS always recognized the Razer Core X as a 65W adapter (Razer stating in it specs it's a PD device capable of delivering 100W).

Until recently (few weeks ago) all of a sudden the laptop is no longer charging through the usb-c port when connected to the Razer Core X. I suspect something changed after software/firmware/BIOS upgrade.

Having all the latest drivers, firmware, OS updates, ... (which I installed over the last few weeks):

• BIOS 1.10.1
  • Windows 10 Version 1903
  • Thunderbolt Software package version 17.4.79.510
  • Thunderbolt Application version: 17.4.79.16
  • Thunderbolt Service version: 17.4.79.13
  • Thunderbolt Controller driver version: 17.4.79.11
  • NVM Firmware version: 40.00

The reason why I suspect something changed after a software upgrade, is because the BIOS still recognizes the Razer Core X eGPU as a 65W charging device (which it always did and it always was able to charge or deliver power like this), it just doesn't allow it to charge any longer since a few weeks. You can see this in the pictures below:

While the Core X is connected with USB-C, BIOS still recognizes 65W adapter. So it's still delivering power but the laptop no longer accept it for charging (which it normally always did):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A0zlpdtgiPQeSdlbmAfh-PVVh4_oN96A/view

With the Dell power adapter connected it of course recognizes it as 130W and starts to charge:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LLI4B_O7MoEZOIe65_3-mWnp1hVf9vv_/view

What has changed?

Thank you.

3 Posts

June 12th, 2019 13:00

Having the same issue with you. I have a 100W charger through my USB-C port and it only picks it up at 65W. Asked a friend to check his Lenovo and the same charger is getting picked up as a 100W charger through his TB3 port. 

I upgraded to BIOS 1.10 and had the same problem, the port instantly stop detecting my charger. Left me in quite the bind since I'm traveling and didn't have my barrel plug charger. Though downgrading to 1.8 enabled that functionality for me again. 

I have a feeling that Dell is purposely handicapping the TB3 port to only accept a 65W charger. But i'm not finding much evidence of it elsewhere, a lot of people are able to use an eGPU just fine. They don't specifically reference any issues with slow charging. 

No Events found!