Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 10th, 2018 14:00

XPS 13 9360, low performance on battery with SpeedStep enabled

My dell xps 13 9360 with an i7 8550u gets about half the performance it should be getting when on battery power. However, it performs within expectations when the power adapter is plugged in. If I open a Cpu frequency monitor while running something intensive such as encoding video, I see that the cpu spikes up to 3.1ghz for an instant then falls to about 800mhz and stays there for a while before spiking back up to 3.1ghz and repeating the cycle. This is all happening while the cpu temperature is around 60 degrees Celcius so it can't be thermal throttling. I did find a stopgap solution for this issue however, if I disable Intel SpeedStep in the bios, I the expected performance on battery without any throttling to 800mhz. The reason its a stopgap solution is that the cpu frequency doesn't go down when the computer is idle and thus lowers battery life. I assume this is a software issue that can be fixed with a bios update but I might be wrong. Does anyone have a solution for this that doesn't involve reducing battery life?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 10th, 2018 17:00

Speed step is a very old program for XP that is not needed in windows 10. Uninstall it. Win 10 has all the utilities built in. Any old utility just causes problems. 

• Operating system:
    An OS must support Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology. Current supporting operating systems include: Microsoft Windows Vista*, Microsoft Windows XP SP2*, and Microsoft Windows 7*. Linux* support is also available. Contact your OS vendor for more information.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

November 16th, 2018 05:00

The answer is no - no current system can run at full speed on battery alone.

November 15th, 2018 17:00

Disabling SpeedStep has a noticeable effect on battery life, especially at idle. Is there any way to get the advertised performance without shortening the battery life so significantly? 

No Events found!