Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 9th, 2020 22:00

Xps15 9560 with Samsung CRG9 super ultra wide monitor 32:9 (5120x1440)

Hi All

I connected my xps15 4K 9560 to a Samsung CRG9 super ultra wide monitor via an hdmi cable today and whilst the monitor was detected I could not select the high native resolution of the monitor (5120x1440)

I suspect I need to try a USB C to DisplayPort cable.

Has anybody got experience of using this kind of setup. Will USB-C port give me increased resolution I have read it may help refresh rates?

Cable arrives in a few days, I hope I can persuade shop to open up the monitor box again.

Any help appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 14th, 2020 06:00

@nickynackynew  well no sooner had I written all of the above that I did some digging, and I found this Intel forums thread.  The OP over there reports that he's using a system with an Intel Graphics UHD 620 (same as your XPS 15 9560) and a Dell U4919DW (same resolution as your Samsung) and that everything USED to work, until "this morning" (on a post dated January 28, 2020), when he noticed that a driver updated, and he's now limited to 3840x1080, just like you.  So you may want to follow that thread and perhaps even post in it.  Or I guess you could try deliberately installing an older version of the Intel Graphics driver.  If you go to support.dell.com, you can access older versions, although the risk is that Windows Update might push a new one to you in that case.  But the good news is that this isn't a hardware issue, so it should absolutely work -- although I realize that that might make the aggravation that it doesn't CURRENTLY work even worse.

February 14th, 2020 09:00

Solved - I'm so pleased .

I removed the current Intel Graphic driver drivers as per your instructions and downloaded and installed the Intel HD/Iris 26.20.100.7263 driver.

I now have 5120x1440 60Hz 

Hopefully, I won't get auto updated but at least I know how to fix it now if it does auto update!

Thanks Again @jphughan 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 10th, 2020 07:00

@nickynackynew  happy to help!  4K will definitely work with a USB-C to DisplayPort cable and has been confirmed many times over.  The only restriction is that it has to be connected directly to the system and not through any type of multi-purpose hub, which often cut available display bandwidth in half.  If you're curious, I wrote a long post about the various operating modes of USB-C and Thunderbolt 3, including their impact on available display setups, over in this thread.  Good luck with your display!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@nickynackynew  the HDMI output on the 9560 is only HDMI 1.4, so that definitely would have been a limiting factor.  A USB-C to DisplayPort cable would work, and since that's a dual QHD display rather than a full 5K display (5120x2880), you should absolutely be able to use that setup.  In fact I think I remember somebody finding that even an XPS 13 can run a Dell display that has that same dual QHD resolution.  Yes it's true that Intel GPUs max out at 4K resolution per display and the display outputs are wired to the Intel GPU even if you have an XPS 15 build that includes the NVIDIA GPU, but if you do the math, dual QHD (5120x1440) is actually fewer total pixels than 4K (3840x2160), so you should be good to go.

@jphughan, Thanks ever so much so your detailed response.  Like you, I determined that 5120x1440 is less than 4K so I'm hopeful. I have access to a 16:9 4k monitor at work so I'll try that with the USB-C cable to Display port cable. I plan to re-visit the Computer store on Saturday to try again and I will post an update on how it goes.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 11th, 2020 08:00

@nickynackynew  great to hear, although all of that is expected based on specs and confirmed testing.  The XPS 15 9560 can up to 3 simultaneous independent 4K 60 Hz displays total.  You can connect two of them just to that USB-C/TB3 port if you use a suitable Thunderbolt 3 dock/adapter.  The third display in that scenario can either be the built-in display or a display connected via HDMI.  Technically you could run three displays all from the TB3 port, but you couldn't do that with 4K 60 Hz displays because the total bandwidth requirements of that triple 4K 60 Hz would be too high for TB3.

February 11th, 2020 08:00

Hi @jphughan,  I tried my usb-c to display port cable with a 16:9 4K monitor in work and the xps15 detected the correct resolution immediately. I was even able to run the display in 'extended' mode giving me two separate 4K displays (laptop + monitor).  I'm now feeling confident that everything will work with the new 32:9 (5120x1440) monitor.  Will post an update as soon as I can get over to the shop to try.

February 14th, 2020 05:00

Hi @jphughan 

As promised I have a status update ....

I bought the monitor it is awesome even with the issues mentioned below.

The Dell XPS15 only goes as high as 3840x1080@120hz via the USB-C to display port cable

Ive tried everything I can think of but nothing seems to make any difference.

1) Shutting lid

2) Creating Custom Resolution via intel display control panel -> Errors 'resolution not supported'

3) lowering refresh rate from 120 to 60 -> refresh drops but still no extra resolution.

4) Checked all nvidia and intel display drivers are up todate.

Only thing that gives me 5120x1440 is when I enable dual input mode on the monitor and connected HDMI and USB-C simultaneously then configure 2 extended displays both 2160x1440

FYI ... My ancient 2013 Macbook Pro & Lenovo Thinkpad x1 Yoga both detect native display 5120x1440 immediately

Any ideas... I wondering if I need to try a different brand of cable ?

Thanks again for your help on this

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 14th, 2020 06:00

@nickynackynew  interesting.  How are you connecting the 2013 MacBook Pro and X1 Yoga that are both working?  If you're using the same cable, then I doubt the cable is the culprit.  In fact I would kind of doubt that anyway given that 5120x1440 at 60 Hz is within the capabilities of DisplayPort 1.2 (120 Hz won't work), and every USB-C port that supports video output supports at least DisplayPort 1.2, so every USB-C to DP cable would support at least DP 1.2.  I suppose there's a tiny chance the cable is just defective, but again I kind of doubt it.

What's particularly odd to me is that I ran dual physically separate QHD displays from my old 2013-era XPS 15 9530 using DisplayPort daisy-chaining.  So I was literally running that same 5120x1440 total resolution via DisplayPort on an even older system, just split across two separate displays.  However, this has reminded me that in the early days of 4K displays, some displays had an option to run in a tiled mode like your Samsung offers, with two tiles of 1920x2160 each, and I remember there were some systems that could run both tiles via a single DisplayPort connection by taking advantage of DisplayPort MST, even though they couldn't run the entire display as a single tile.  (DisplayPort MST if you're not aware is the ability to run multiple independent displays from a single physical connection.)  I guess some weird GPU hardware/driver issues limited the maximum resolution of any single display even though the GPU was happy to run two tiles that amounted to the same total pixels over the same physical output.  I suppose that might be what's going on here.  But given that the GPU supports 3840x2160, I'd have expected this setup that's fewer total pixels to work as well.  Maybe there's some limitation about maximum horizontal resolution after all?

In terms of fixes, you've already done everything I would have suggested except updating the BIOS, which is admittedly a long shot, but you never know.  And on the support.dell.com site, the Intel Graphic driver was last updated in December 2019, so it's fairly recent.  I guess you could maybe try fully uninstalling the Intel Graphics drivers from Programs and Fetaures and then installing the downloadable package from support.dell.com from scratch.  The NVIDIA driver wouldn't come into play here because the Intel GPU has direct control of the display outputs in that system.

If none of that works, one thing you could check is whether that display's "tile mode" allows you to run both tiles via a single DisplayPort connection by using MST.  That would at least keep you running on a single cable, and that setup would be completely equivalent to what I did with dual physical QHD displays on my even older XPS 15 (and still do today with my Latitude 7480 using a USB-C to DP cable to connect to the first display in the chain).  The catch with tile mode overall of course is that when the system thinks they're two separate displays, you end up with behavior like dialog boxes meant to appear in the center of the display actually appearing in the center of one tile, and making a video full screen actually making it full screen on half of the display.

I'm going to keep looking into this to see what I can find out, because I would have expected this to work and i know that tile mode definitely isn't ideal.  I'll report back if I find anything.  Sorry about the only partial success here!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 14th, 2020 09:00

Great news!  Glad I was able to help and that you can make full use of your new display.

No Events found!