Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 20th, 2018 02:00

dell compatibility with xbox one wireless controller

My 10 year old inspiron is dying so I want a new one that will be compatible with my xbox one wireless controller. I know it is all microsoft but supposedly Lenovo's laptops will connect right out of the box where as I see people on these boards having trouble with their connections using Dell machines. Please advise  thank you...

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 20th, 2018 05:00

First it depends on which generation of Xbox One controller you have.  The older Xbox One controllers that have a glossy black top edge only support the proprietary Xbox Wireless protocol (and also wired USB, of course).  The newer controllers that have a matte top edge and include regular Bluetooth support.  In order to use Xbox Wireless, you either need an Xbox Wireless adapter plugged into your PC or you need a laptop that specifically has built-in support for that proprietary protocol, and the only laptop I'm aware of that includes that is the 15" Microsoft Surface Book 2.  For Bluetooth, I haven't seen any issues reported with particular Dell systems, but I admittedly haven't been watching for them.  You might also find this article useful for understanding the various connection options based on the type of controller you have.

No Events found!