Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 1st, 2018 04:00

XPS model?, Fn key suddenly stuck

Hi, I have a dell xps, and yesterday evening out of the blue suddenly my Fn key decided to be permanently activated meaning that whenever I want to alter the brightness or my screen, or change the volume ( ie use the multimedia keys),  I just get the F keys response doing what F keys do. I can still alter brightness by pressing FN + F11 to decrease brightness etc (same for other keys). But I shouldn't have to press Fn. Until yesterday I didn't have to press Fn at all. So why oh why did my laptop suddenly decide to re-allocate the Fn function? How on earth do I switch it back? I've gone online and they say press F2 when rebooting etc, but if it's that complicated how did my Dell did it with me not even touching a thing? I'd rather not mess around during a reboot - I have horrific bad luck with laptops and having to do this will give me a near near nervous breakdown). I saw another option where I had to open Windows mobility centre. But of course in My Windows mobility centre I don't have the option of changing the Fn key function. Please help. I'm incredibly annoyed but also worried. If my Dell is acting this weird, could this be a sign of impending doom?

• 

17K Posts

November 1st, 2018 06:00

fruitflye,

When posting issues with your computer on the forum add the computer model and OS you have installed. This helps the forum help resolve the issue you may have with your computer.

You can start the computer and TAP the F2 key while booting up to enter the bios. Once in the bios navigate to the section that reads Post Behavior. Next choose FN Lock Options. It is here where you can turn off the FN option. Once you change the option press the F10 key and choose to save changes and boot into windows. For more information click the link below to choose your computer model and download the online manual for your computer.

Dell Drivers, Downloads and Manuals

The computer is not in any sign of doom. It is fine. 

3 Posts

November 1st, 2018 07:00

5 Posts

December 26th, 2018 21:00

Note that if you want to temporarily change whether "FN lock" is on or off, use FN + Esc, which will toggle the FN Lock value. 

This will only change for now.  The "default" setting at boot time needs to be setup in the bios as described in this thread. 

No Events found!