D

1 Rookie

• 

96 Posts

August 24th, 2022 10:00

overheating old laptop

Studio XPS 1645

Studio XPS 1645

I have an old xps 1645 laptop.  It's running Windows 10.  The bios version is a13.  The temps are 77c and max of 84c.  The fan is constantly running.  I hear the fan running, and there is no dust; I cleaned it out.  Looking to see if other users have had this issue with this, it seems it may be the case: https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/dell-xps-1640-heat-problems.254817/.  Post #12 seems interesting.  How else can I cool it? 

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

If the thermal pads have never been replaced, that's something that's long overdue.

These systems had a reputation for running hot when they were new -- if everything is clear of dust and the thermal pads are replaced, that's about all you can do short of using some sort of external cooling pad.

1 Rookie

• 

96 Posts

Thermal pads?  I am not familiar.  Where are they located?  Are they under the two heatsinks?

1 Rookie

• 

96 Posts

August 24th, 2022 11:00

In the image below, where the two yellow UP arrows are, are those what I remove to get to the pads/compound?  Any good videos on this?

What should be a good operating temperature that I should aim for? 

What about undervolting it?  Is that an option?

Untitled.jpg

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

Yes, those arrows point to the CPU and the GUP.

Follow the steps in the Dell Service Manual: Service Manual PDF 

Yes, you will be able to find many videos showing how it's done.

While you're at it, replace the CMOS battery, since it will be close to dead.

Whenever handling RAM working with internal components, wear a grounded wrist strap, also called anti-static wrist strap, ESD wrist strap, or ground bracelet. I know many people do such work without this, but it's a cheap and sensible precaution.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

Yes.  There is a pad (or compound) that helps with heat transfer between the heat slug and heat sink. 

These do dry out over time and develop voids -- making them less effective at thermal transfer.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

August 24th, 2022 19:00

Here's some reference of what's needs to be done. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlDTQC3wJUg

Get a better quality thermal paste (arctic is good brand)

No Events found!