Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 30th, 2018 02:00

XPS 13 9370, wont wake from sleep

i have a brand new xps 13 9370 that will not wake up.
Its 2 days old with little software installed on it.

i put it to sleep via power button, dock power button or closing the lid or just leaving sleep after allotted idle time.

Trying to wake it by dock power button, laptop powerbutton, opening screen, touching mouse, touchpad, keyboard all has the same effect, the laptop keyboard lights up and the fan kicks in but the screen does not come on and a reboot is necessary.

Note the issue occurs with and without the dock.

I have followed the dell recommended troubleshooting steps in their article here, except for recreating my profile, doing a system restore or OS Reinstall. Its 2 days old, this should not be necessary.

Would appreciate some assistance as if i cannot get it working in the next day, its  being replaced with a surface, as i just need something that works so i can do my job.

2 Posts

October 12th, 2018 12:00

I have the same problem on my XPS 13 9370 (i5, 8 GB, 256 GB). Once the Laptopt activates sleep mode, it doesn't wake up again. Only rebooting the system helps. I deactivated the power-saving mode in the settings (no changes in registry required), which obviously helps. But that can only be a short-term solution for me. If Dell can't fix the problem by updates, I'll be forced to use the warranty. 

What annoys me the most is, that I struggle with problems since the purchase to weeks ago: too loud fan even while light tasks (which could be fixed by activating the "Quiet"-mode in dell power manager); coil whine while charging the battery (I already left a comment regarding that issue on reddit); and now that sleep-mode-problem. 

I'm pretty sure an update of the Bios could fix a lot of existing problems (reinstalling the 1.2.1 Bios didn't help on my Laptop). 

I hope more people (with the similar issues) leave a comment! 

2 Posts

October 13th, 2018 02:00

7 Posts

November 25th, 2018 10:00

Not a solution. We all want s3, not connected standby. If you need lengthy standby and quick resume (most business users do!) It seems, sadly, the only solution is to buy from a different manufacturer. A co-worker has the HP Spectre x360 and it works great. Return your XPS if you can, and warn others. In all likelihood, Dell will not fix this issue. I work for a large company and this lack of support will influence hundreds of laptop purchases, not to mention the negative word of mouth. Too bad: a few hours of UEFI development probably could have fixed it. Hope a Dell bean counter reads this, for their sake.  

1 Message

January 15th, 2019 12:00

Well, it has been a year and still no solution (FYI-I have done a half dozen clean installs/updated drivers....etc and no bueno.

Dell should take the crescent moon off its keyboards 

1 Message

January 31st, 2019 02:00

Same problem here with a brand new XPS 13 9370 Ubuntu-18.04. Resume sometimes works, sometimes fails. 

IT IS a hardware/bios issue and I'm stunned that DELL does not address this failure for such a long time. 

It's my fist Dell laptop, coming from Apple and I'm very disappointed.

51 Posts

January 31st, 2019 14:00

I have a 9360, i&-8550U 16GB, Win10 x64 and suffer the same issue, only... sometimes it sleeps and wakes up, and other it doesn't.

When it doesn't, as others have reported, the keyboard lights up, the power button lights up and the screen backlight lights up, but the screen stays 100% block and nothing but nothing will coax it into action. Hard hard reboot ... power button for ~10 seconds ... causes a drop into recovery mode and; 'Your PC didn't restart properly' and you have to click a 'Restart my PC' button to get going again. Sometimes I don't even have to sleep the machine (Power button : Shut down options : Sleep), I simply need to restart after a Windows update or similar and I get the same; 'Your PC didn't restart properly' blue screen and need to select; 'Restart my PC'.

I'm on the latest BIOS and try repeatedly to update the chipset firmware, and while it says it installs okay, next time around it wan't to try the same update again. Just tried the direct Intel-supplier driver update util mentioned in this thread. Maybe that will bring some joy?

This is sadly not what I expect from Dell and what is reputed to be the best laptop you can get. It's not so 'best' when it can't reliably be put to sleep and woken up.

And for those interested in sleep modes supported/not supported on this machine:

The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Disconnected
Hibernate
Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported.

Standby (S2)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S3)

Hybrid Sleep
Standby (S3) is not available.

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected
Connectivity in standby is not supported.

2 Posts

October 5th, 2019 17:00

Hi All,

Any update on this issue? Has anyone contact Dell Support directly?

I just bought Dell Xps 7590 and have same issue. I wished I chose Lenovo then Dell if this issue still abandoned by Dell for 1 year!

October 28th, 2019 05:00

same symptoms...  open lcd/lid while on battery power, the keyboard lights up, the power button lights up and the screen backlight lights up, but the screen stays 100% black and nothing but nothing will coax it into action. force hard shutdown. 

I have tried reflash of bios and restore bios to defaults; still same results.

justin

No Events found!