Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

November 13th, 2015 12:00

How much do you like your XtremeIO?

I am looking at storage refresh within the next 6 months.  I have been in touch with my EMC sales rep, but I wanted to hear from EMC's customers that have been on their box a bit.  I currently have VMAX 10K single engine that runs 150 servers and about 900 desktops pretty good.  I started looking at the price of adding more drives(4 DAES), but the box is about 3 years already and there are more current boxes out there.  I have been doing some reading on XTremeIO and have several discussions with EMC about it.  I have the Dedupe analysis results and it states it can dedupe  it very well.  Can/Should I mix the View and Server workloads on this like I currently do a single Engine VMAX? Should we get multiple bricks, same cluster or several single brick clusters?  I know a lot of this depends on price, which I do have.

Nearly everything on the SAN is VMware,

But my real questions,

Is the interface too cluttered or dumbed down with too many wizards?

Are there Java issues to worry about it to compatibility reasons?   I wish EMC would have a non JAVA GUI,  I am worried that Java support in the browsers is rapidly disappearing. Chrome no longer has it,  Firefox is dropping it,  Edge doesn't have it, who knows with Safari and IE.

How have the upgrades been?

Any issues or good things have anyone had with their box?  even comparisons to other boxes will be nice.

Thanks.

35 Posts

November 17th, 2015 12:00

In a nutshell so far...

1. Performance and scalabilty is good.

2. Interface and the array is really easy  to use once everything is setup.

2. Reliability poor. The OS is buggy needs to mature. We pulled it from production.

3. The hardware needs to be simplified.

4. No NVMe so hardware upgrades are needed in the future to keep up with the maturing SSD landscape.

November 18th, 2015 07:00

saj,hou,

Was this on the version 3 code or on version 4?

Can you explain what you mean on that the hardware needs to be simplified?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 18th, 2015 10:00

i am curious about #2 ...what's poor about it ?

35 Posts

November 19th, 2015 08:00

Version 4.

Maybe I was spoiled with the other AFA POCs but the other AFA did not require all the cabling, less FC ports and actually had a smaller rack footprint than XIO did. Check the back of  XIO that is racked and up, looks like a sphagetti bowl. 

Not a deal breaker but longer set up times and maybe not as easy to troubleshoot connectvity issues. I think if EMC designs a chassis that can fit all the components of an Xbrick while being modular it would simplify the setup, expansions, upgrades and connectivity troubleshooting.

35 Posts

November 19th, 2015 08:00

Some bugs restarted the XIO cluster automatically and brought us to halt during production hours. Needless to say it is not going back into production anytime soon.

It was a rare confluence of bugs and probably never will happen again but it did happen so I cannot tell the business it is reliable for production yet.

727 Posts

November 21st, 2015 20:00

Thank you for your feedback. Allow me to comment on a few things that you have brought up.

We have come up with a cable management arm for XtremIO which will make the cables much more manageable on the back of an XtremIO array. Having said that, XtremIO is a scale out architecture with more components (more number of storage controllers, as an example) - so it is going to have more cables compared to an array which is based on a dual controller scale-up architecture. But the benefit is in the linear scalability, consistent and predictable performance that XtremIO can provide as you scale out in terms of the number of X-Bricks.

As for the other bugs that you ran into, we can help provide an ETA of those bug fixes if you dont have that already. Feel free to message me privately, since this is not the right forum to be discussing customer specific details. I hope you understand.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 23rd, 2015 05:00

Avi wrote:

Thank you for your feedback. Allow me to comment on a few things that you have brought up.

We have come up with a cable management arm for XtremIO which will make the cables much more manageable on the back of an XtremIO array. Having said that, XtremIO is a scale out architecture with more components (more number of storage controllers, as an example) - so it is going to have more cables compared to an array which is based on a dual controller scale-up architecture. But the benefit is in the linear scalability, consistent and predictable performance that XtremIO can provide as you scale out in terms of the number of X-Bricks.

Avi, scale out is your excuse for the rats nest i see behing my XtremIO box ?  Talk to VMAX guys, they can tell you how to do scale out with prestine cable management that spans not only floor tiles but aisles.

727 Posts

November 23rd, 2015 13:00

It is not an excuse by any means. We do appreciate any and every feedback that comes in from our customers.

As I mentioned earlier, we do recognize that there is a scope for improvement and have come out with the cable management arm for new arrays that are shipping out now.

2 Posts

February 22nd, 2016 11:00

Being a new XtremIO customer with multiple vendors in the data centers. Some things to improve on reducing mess at the back:

1. Service Controllers, DAE can be combined together in one 4U box and cabling done internally/backplane. Reduces few moving parts behind the back.

2. Can we eliminate the BBUs and manage power failures differently ? That reduces some more cabling.

3. Can you ship right length cables for the customers so everything is neat and tight

Each time customer/vendor touches a cable behind the back for troubleshooting, it takes couple of hours to make sure system health is normal due to the cabling mess at the back. 

727 Posts

February 22nd, 2016 20:00

Very good points Anantha – thanks for sharing. I will make sure that the right folks see this feedback

This is not the correct forum to discuss our roadmap, but we do appreciate reaching out to us with your feedback.

February 25th, 2016 12:00

A lot of good points have raised.

Any update about getting rid Java, being now Firefox is going to end support of Java Plugins?  I think IE 11 is the only thing that will be supported in another year that will have Java support.

Not having NVe isn't that big of deal yet,  but I guess they could release a new model that would have NVe instead SSDs at some point.

I'm a current single VMAX customer and we are using all 16 FC ports going to the SAN switches, and Recoverpoint appliances ports too. 

727 Posts

February 25th, 2016 19:00

Thanks for the feedback and sharing your requirements. We are working on the issues that you have raised, but I would recommend working with your EMC account team to get more details about the timelines. As I mentioned earlier, this is not the right forum to discuss roadmap items.

727 Posts

February 25th, 2016 19:00

Anantha - more specifically on the last two points:

Re: "Can you ship right length cables for the customers so everything is neat and tight"

You should be getting the right length cables if the array was shipped after mid-2015. Is that not the case with you? Can you share more details about what length cables you were shipped with?

Re: "Each time customer/vendor touches a cable behind the back for troubleshooting, it takes couple of hours to make sure system health is normal due to the cabling mess at the back"

This should also be resolved with the new cable trays that we have been shipping since mid-2015. Can you share more details if that is not the case?

No Events found!