Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 5th, 2015 13:00

How to "refresh" a snapshot using CLI?

I need to create a set of commands for our AIX Sysadmins that will allow them to run scripts against an XIO array to refresh a snapshot on demand.  They do not want me to re-map/mask the snapshot devices every time.  They are fine with stopping the DB and unmounting the filesystems.  They did just fine with TimeFinder on Vmax so I have no trust issues with giving them an account on the XIO.  And before anyone suggests it, we are having issues getting Appsync running so I'm steering away from that.  Since they're unix guys they want a command, not a GUI solution.

I am not a fan of RESTful API.  I have plenty of other things to do and becoming a JSON programmer is not one of them.  The documentation for RESTFUL is awful.  The doc for XIO commands is awful.  There are no cookbooks.  There are no models.  

I'm told I can "refresh" an existing snap but I can't find any XMS CLI (or RESTFUL API) commands to "refresh".  Is this a single command?  Is it an operand of a command?  Is it a series of commands?  I'm lost.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

1 Message

February 22nd, 2016 06:00

I would like a copy (pam.davis@carle.com)

1 Message

June 30th, 2016 07:00

Hello Marvin,  I am able to refresh snapshots successfully in  XIO XMS  Version: 4.0.2 build 80  by  using  this XMSCLI...

create-snapshot-and-reassign from-consistency-group-id="src_cg"  to-snapshot-set-id="target_ss" no-backup

This  command  works  fine  as  long as the  to-snapshot-set-id  is  named   as  "target_ss"

The  issue  I am  running into is that  every time I run  the refresh  it  keeps  giving a new name  for the snapshot set  like "SnapshotSet.1467294388022"

Any idea  how to keep my  original snapshot set name  after  the refresh ?

Thanks

727 Posts

June 30th, 2016 11:00

The snapshot set name change after the refresh is expected (see this blog for more details of how the snapshot refresh operation works in XtremIO).

However, with XtremIO 4.0.2 - it is possible to refresh a snapshot set from the CLI/API based on a tag. The tag used to do the refresh will be automatically moved to the new snapshot set created as a part of the refresh.

This was done to allow a consistent command to be used to repeatedly refresh the same snapshot set. Previously this wasn¹t possible due to the fact that the newly refresh snapshot volumes were put into a new snapshots set (this is what you observed), which thus meant it had a different name to the old snapshot set. Thus refreshing it a second time required using the new snapshot set name rather than the previous one.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 30th, 2016 12:00

Avi wrote:

The snapshot set name change after the refresh is expected (see this blog<http://blog.docbert.org/xtremio-snapshot-refresh/> for more details of how the snapshot refresh operation works in XtremIO).

However, with XtremIO 4.0.2 - it is possible to refresh a snapshot set from the CLI/API based on a tag.  The tag used to do the refresh will be automatically moved to the new snapshot set created as a part of the refresh.

This was done to allow a consistent command to be used to repeatedly refresh the same snapshot set.  Previously this wasn¹t possible due to the fact that the newly refresh snapshot volumes were put into a new snapshots set (this is what you observed), which thus meant it had a different name to the old snapshot set. Thus refreshing it a second time required using the new snapshot set name rather than the previous one.

Avi,

what do you mean "The tag used to do the refresh will be automatically moved to the new snapshot set created as a part of the refresh."  Can you please give an example (pictures would be great)

727 Posts

July 1st, 2016 14:00

It is now possible to refresh a snapshot set from the CLI/API based on a tag. As I mentioned above, the tag used to do the refresh operation will be automatically moved to the new snapshot set created as a part of the refresh.

For example, you can now add a unique tag (MySS in the picture below) to the snapshot set:

pic1.png

And then repeatedly refresh the snapshot set using a consistent command based on the tag using the to-snapshot-set-tag-id= options. See below for the same command being run three times:

pic2.png

With each refresh, the tag will be moved to the newly created snapshot set ready for the next refresh:

pic3.png

If you have not used Tags in the CLI below, note the format used above. You need to use the full '/SnapshotSet/TagName' format; simply using the tag name itself will result in an object not found error.

Hope this helps.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 1st, 2016 20:00

Thanks Avi, so the CLI command you provided above. Am i refreshing the same snapshot set over and over or i am creating brand new snapshot sets ?

727 Posts

July 3rd, 2016 20:00

With the example I provided earlier, you would end up refreshing the same set of volumes every time. A new snapshot set is created with every refresh though (but the tag is kept on the 'latest' snapshot set after every refresh).

The whole point is that you are now able to use the same command everytime/repeatedly for the refresh operations.

No Events found!