Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2016 08:00

SDRS settings with XtremIO

Hello,

Should we enable IO metrics in sdrs settings when using XtremIO?

727 Posts

August 12th, 2016 14:00

- SDRS I/O metrics relate to latency thresholds. If this is set at 15ms, we think that it does not make it a valuable gauge for workloads hosted on an AFA. It is definitely more useful for a storage setup that has multiple disk groups of separate spindles where throughput over-utilization could be resolved my intra-array migration. For that reason, we wouldn’t be looking to use this with XtremIO. That being said, I’m sure there are cases where it would be valuable, but in the generic scenario – I would say it can be ignored. 

- In any case, XtremIO architecture will provide same performance to all LUNs on the array - so moving the VMs around will not provide any benefit.

- If you plan to use SIOC, the I/O metrics collection setting must remain enabled - you can then exclude the collected I/O stats from SDRS (if you need to).

- Also, slightly related … For XtremIO, we would recommend disabling SDRS automatic rebalancing actions. With XtremIO being thin provisioned and dedupe aware, we can foresee SDRS rebalancing capacity usage between LUNs and eating up logical space on the array for no major benefit.

No Events found!