Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 7th, 2015 20:00

Using Snapshots in VMware (Different VMs)

One of the selling features for the XtremIO is the ability to take snapshots of data and use it for DEV/Test environments. I am planning on creating a Win 2012 server with the C drive (OS partition) on LUN1 using a vmdk file.   Then I'd like to create a D drive and a few other drives on LUN2 and have the server access it as an RDM.  Lastly, I'd setup another 2012 server as a test box and set the OS on LUN1 using a vmdk file.  I'd plan to take a snapshot of LUN2 and present it to the test box as an RDM.  Will the test box see the drives and data on snapshot?

The snapshot will hold SQL data and logs.  Im trying to present same/same data to our test box and use the least amount of space possible.  We will be refreshing the snapshots once in awhile.  If I'm off track on my assumption above, I'd appreciate any other suggestions that could help me accomplish what I'm trying to do. Thanks!

10 Posts

May 8th, 2015 07:00

Well, I found time to test and was able to accomplish this.  As soon as I mounted the snapshot as RDM to the test box and booted, just had to put the disk "online" in disk management and it came right up.   Hope this helps somebody in the future.

727 Posts

May 8th, 2015 22:00

XtremIO 4.0 will add a lot of snapshot related enhancements. Make sure you are aware of the additional goodies like being able to schedule snapshot operations, consistency groups, snapshot refresh, etc.

10 Posts

May 11th, 2015 05:00

XtremIO 4 looks like it will contain some great new features.  Can't wait till it's released!

No Events found!