Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 24th, 2015 12:00

VSI Space Reclaim with XtremIO

Hello,

Is there an alternative to having to enable SSH on all ESX hosts in order to execute the space reclaim through VSI? This is a security gap for some customers and I wasn't sure if we had other alternatives. I couldn't gleam any from reading the guides out there so I am hopeful for some insight from EMC.

Thanks!

522 Posts

September 28th, 2015 06:00

Hi - Just curious if any EMC folks happened to see this post and know the answer? I couldn't find a better location to post a VSI question so hoping this community can assist with the answer.

727 Posts

September 28th, 2015 19:00

What is the security concern? Are customers not okay with enabling SSH access on the ESX servers?

522 Posts

September 29th, 2015 04:00

Hi Avi,

Yup...that is it. This particular customer does not enable SSH by default on their ESX servers and don't really want to given their security requirements so it will render the automated scheduling nearly useless given this is a requirement because it seems to pick a random host in the cluster when it kicks off the unmap. I would imagine other customers might feel the same?

Also, are you aware of any issues with the VSI space reclaim where the process hangs in vcenter? I kicked this ott last Thursday at a site and even though the unmap has completed, the process is still "in progress" within virtual center with no way to kill it from either VSI or the Web Client. I created a case yesterday morning before I just start to kill processes, but wasn't sure if you were aware of any known issues. SSH has remained enabled on this host so that it can communicate its completion, but seems to be hung. I'll update this thread with the results of the case whenever it gets picked up from EMC support.

thanks.

No Events found!