UNSOLVED

imjuztmeh

updated

16 years ago

I

imjuztmeh

1 Message

0

13390

February 26th, 2011 11:00

Hinge Issue

Chris M, 

Hi-- I've been reading this fourm and came across this question but didnt see a solid response to it. I configured my M11x on Feb. 20th 2011. Would you happen to know if they have started to update the hinges at the factory for the newer m11x's that are being configured around this time? Please let me know. THANKS in advance!!

(sorry if this is a repeat question, I'm just looking for a final say and your the only one that would know )

  • dcluck

    28 Posts

    818

    0

    Posted February 27th, 2011 18:00

    As far as we know, there will be no brand new R1s or R2s that have the new LCD assembly (which the hinge is one component of) installed at the factory. It's only going to be a replacement part for those that fail.

  • 818

    0

    Posted February 27th, 2011 20:00

    The 11x R3 has not yet been released, however Chris has informed everyone that the R3 has a new hinge design.

  • BEATWALLST

    29 Posts

    818

    0

    Posted February 27th, 2011 20:00

     

    I'm waiting to put in a claim for a hinge repair. As far as I've been told until the R3 models are released all hinges are the old design.

  • jamesk55

    1 Message

    818

    0

    Posted February 27th, 2011 22:00

    Just recently received my m11x R2 and was wondering if I could return it with no restocking/shipping fee.  I've been reading about the hinge problem and I performed the paper strip test and confirmed that mine may be prone to the hinge problem.  I would really rather just return the machine while it is still fresh and just purchase the updated version later, is this possible?  (hasn't been 21 days yet)

     

    *only reason I want to return it is because the problem is pretty widespread and the machine cost a lot with all the upgrades, hate to think I paid so much for a surely faulty machine.

  • Jordan-C

    1 Message

    818

    0

    Posted February 28th, 2011 06:00

    Hey everyone. Just had a conversation with a sales rep and this is what I was told:

    02/28/2011 12:45:53PM
    Agent: "Hello Jord"
    02/28/2011 12:45:54PM
    Jord: "Hello"
    02/28/2011 12:46:28PM
    Jord: "I hope you are a well informed sales expert - because there seems to be an issue with dell about misguiding people when it comes to the m11x"
    02/28/2011 12:47:01PM
    Jord: "I'm hoping I can get some factual information from you, to do with the faulty hinge design or even the r3"
    02/28/2011 12:47:23PM
    Jord: "because I'm aware right now that the hinges haven't been fixed.."
    02/28/2011 12:47:37PM
    Agent: "May I know if you are looking to purchase one?"
    02/28/2011 12:47:50PM
    Jord: "Yes.. have been for a while"
    02/28/2011 12:48:01PM
    Jord: "but there is so much evidence of a faulty design"
    02/28/2011 12:48:25PM
    Jord: "I want to know when I can roughly expect either the r2 hinge design to be fixed, or when the r3 will be released"
    02/28/2011 12:49:19PM
    Agent: "R3 would be released only post April"
    02/28/2011 12:50:00PM
    Jord: "So perhaps May? or am I expected to wait longer?"
    02/28/2011 12:50:39PM
    Agent: "We do not have the exact information yet.."
    02/28/2011 12:50:47PM
    Agent: "only we can say is post to the April"
    02/28/2011 12:51:21PM
    Jord: "Okay, I'm aware that the r3 has a hinge fix also - do you know when that fix will be applied to the other models?"
    02/28/2011 12:52:10PM
    Agent: "I'm sorry but we do not have any updates at the moment"
    02/28/2011 12:52:43PM
    Jord: "Okay then, I'll hold off until there is evidence of that - thanks a lot :)"

     

     

    So, No R3 until at least post-April, and no new information on the hinges. Looks like I won't be buying one for a while.

  • BEATWALLST

    29 Posts

    818

    0

    Posted February 28th, 2011 09:00

    That would make sense since the current 200 off promotion runs till the end of march. They probably want to clear out the inventory of R2's with this promotion before releasing the R3. I have an R2 that I purchased 1/2011 the hinge lasted 3 weeks and split, so I would wait for the R3 for sure.

     

     

    John

  • Vegas771

    42 Posts

    818

    0

    Posted February 28th, 2011 11:00

    Wow, you actually got a rep that didn't lie to you about the hinges being fixed!  Now THERE is an accomplishment!  

  • dcluck

    28 Posts

    818

    0

    Posted February 28th, 2011 18:00

    Just recently received my m11x R2 and was wondering if I could return it with no restocking/shipping fee.  I've been reading about the hinge problem and I performed the paper strip test and confirmed that mine may be prone to the hinge problem.  I would really rather just return the machine while it is still fresh and just purchase the updated version later, is this possible?  (hasn't been 21 days yet)

     

     

     

    *only reason I want to return it is because the problem is pretty widespread and the machine cost a lot with all the upgrades, hate to think I paid so much for a surely faulty machine.

     

    The paper test has zero, nothing, nada to do with whether or not your hinge is going to fail. That's simply another indication of a poor hinge design. They built it without any thought to creating any clearance between the protective screen and the keyboard.