alvinkhorfire's Posts

alvinkhorfire's Posts

I need your help in deciding which Blu-ray burner to buy, since only these burners are available in local stores near my home. Well, I need it to burn BD-R, DVD-R and CD-R discs. 1.Pioneer BDR-207E... See more...
I need your help in deciding which Blu-ray burner to buy, since only these burners are available in local stores near my home. Well, I need it to burn BD-R, DVD-R and CD-R discs. 1.Pioneer BDR-207EBK 12X SATA  http://www.pioneer-optical.eu/News_Contents.asp?sn=63&new_pic Lite-On iHBS312-33 12x Blu-ray burner   http://www.liteonodd.com/en/bd-internal/item/bdinternal/ihbs312 Asus 12x Blu-Ray+RW burner Which Blu-ray burner is the best? 2. How can I determine whether the Blu-ray burner can support BD-XL format? Sometimes, the specification in the website does not contain such detail. Thank you for the advice, guys. :)
I have a Dell XPS 420 desktop with a internal DVD Burner, TSSTcorp HH SATA 16X DVD+-RW TS-H653B. The faulty DVD drive is a conventional tray-load 16X DVD+/-RW burner, with 12X DVD+/-R dual layer writ... See more...
I have a Dell XPS 420 desktop with a internal DVD Burner, TSSTcorp HH SATA 16X DVD+-RW TS-H653B. The faulty DVD drive is a conventional tray-load 16X DVD+/-RW burner, with 12X DVD+/-R dual layer write capabilities. The DVD burner does not spin DVD anymore, and I need your help in recommending a new DVD Drive to replace it. I would appreciate any help and assistance given to me. I am looking for a medium-high quality tray-load internal DVD burner. It should also burn DVD+R Dual Layer disc, and should be equivalent or better than my old optical drive. It should not be too expensive, but it should be of medium-high quality that it should last several years of normal usage. Yes, I know that there is no such thing as eternally long-lasting DVD burner, but it should not be easily spoilt like low-quality optical drives. 1. Which internal DVD Burner is suitable for my desktop? Do all 5.25-inch DVD burner in the market have the same size (length x width x height)? My old one is 170 mm x 148 mm x 42 mm. The front part of the tray has to be flat, because the drive will be placed behind the drive panel. When the tray of the DVD drive is ejected, the tray will push open the insert of the drive panel. 2. My hard disk is of SATA 2 type, although the old optical drive utilizes SATA 1 connection. Does that mean that I can use SATA 2 type DVD burner? 3. Can the suggested DVD burner burn double-sided DVDs? 4. Based on the current prices, is it affordable now to purchase a Blu-ray Combo, or even a Blu-ray Writer? I means that if it is not affordable now, then the price will keep on decreasing in the near future. After all, I believe that the price of DVD burner is pretty much stabilized. Should I buy a Blu-ray Combo, instead of a DVD-RW burner? 5. Is there minimum computer requirement to fully support Blu-ray optical drives? Thank you for your suggestion, guys. :)
Sorry for bumping into this thread. @shesagordie Is Corsair AX850 PSU (www.corsair.com/professional-series-gold-ax850-80-plus-gold-certified-fully-modular-power-supply.html) compatible with XPS 4... See more...
Sorry for bumping into this thread. @shesagordie Is Corsair AX850 PSU (www.corsair.com/professional-series-gold-ax850-80-plus-gold-certified-fully-modular-power-supply.html) compatible with XPS 420 as well? Thank you for your information.
Thank you for your detailed explanation as always. The computer still displays the very same symptoms, even after I tried your troubleshooting methods (reinstall the factory RAM and resetting BI... See more...
Thank you for your detailed explanation as always. The computer still displays the very same symptoms, even after I tried your troubleshooting methods (reinstall the factory RAM and resetting BIOS). I confirmed that nothing is grounding out or shorting out the motherboard, and all motherboard capacitors are flat. Now, it has worsened, up to point that I cannot switch on the computer and load into BIOS. When I switch on wall socket (without pressing the CPU power button), the diagnostic lights 1, 3, and 4 are momentarily on and the fans spin for a while (this is normal when my computer was running fine a month ago). When I press the CPU power button, the CPU switched off by itself, without showing the BIOS at all. 1. Other than checking the items as mentioned by you, how can I check whether the motherboard is faulty or not? I do not have any old good known working PSU with me or my friends. 2. I may purchase Corsair AX850 PSU (http://www.corsair.com/professional-series-gold-ax850-80-plus-gold-certified-fully-modular-power-supply.html) to replace my PSU. Is it compatible with my rig?   Thank you for your information. My XPS 420 has always been the pride of my life. I really love to see it running fine once again.
Did anyone test 16GB Ram (4x4gb) on XPS 420?
Sorry for bumping a old thread. Could anyone explain the steps to install a PSU in XPS 420? 1. The user manual (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps420/en/OM/HTML/parts.htm#wp1472790) ... See more...
Sorry for bumping a old thread. Could anyone explain the steps to install a PSU in XPS 420? 1. The user manual (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps420/en/OM/HTML/parts.htm#wp1472790) appears to be less detailed than necessary. I believe that I have to remove the Processor Airflow Shroud Assembly, before I can remove the PSU. Is anything else that I should remove as well? 2. Does the metal release tab at the bottom of the power supply unit prevent the installation of longer PSU? 3. The user manual does not mention the P4 cable of the PSU. How many pin does it have, and what is it connected to?   Thank you for your advice.
@dakitas Thank you for your suggestion. I would try it , and then report its outcome. Well, the motherboard does not have its own integrated graphics. So, when I remove the GTX460, what sho... See more...
@dakitas Thank you for your suggestion. I would try it , and then report its outcome. Well, the motherboard does not have its own integrated graphics. So, when I remove the GTX460, what should the monitor be connected to? The reason I upgraded to GTX460 is that the 8800GTX, originally a part of the XPS 420, was faulty. Could you elaborate more on "rare for bad PSU"? Are you saying that if the PSU is faulty, I would not be able to switch on the computer and get into BIOS at all? Thank you for your assistance.
Sorry for not replying to this thread for a long time. Still, thanks to both of you for trying to provide potential solutions to my problem. @osprey4 I did remove all non-essential peripherals as... See more...
Sorry for not replying to this thread for a long time. Still, thanks to both of you for trying to provide potential solutions to my problem. @osprey4 I did remove all non-essential peripherals as you suggested. Well, I have unfortunately lost my Dell drivers and utilities disc. I can get into the BIOS, but shortly after that, the computer switched off by itself. I believe that my power supply unit is faulty. Is there any way for to confirm the PSU as culprit? Note that I do not have any multimeter, or any other voltage measuring device.
@Osprey Thank you for youre reply. As you suggested, I have browsed through the troubleshooting manual, but none of the solutions can help in solving the problem. I am unable to run Dell diagnost... See more...
@Osprey Thank you for youre reply. As you suggested, I have browsed through the troubleshooting manual, but none of the solutions can help in solving the problem. I am unable to run Dell diagnostics. The reason is that the computer shuts down by itself during BIOS, as if there is an electrcial breakdown, which there is not. If I choose to run Dell diagnostics, it will not be able to complete the diagnostics, before shutting down without any apparent reason. None of the power lights on the front panel (showing 1, 2, 3, and 4) were switched on, thus the computer does not indicate the source of the problem. As of now, I am unable to solve the problem. So, what should I do now? Thank you for the advise. :)
A few minutes after booting up into Windows, my XPS 420 desktop switched off by itself without any reason. The monitor screen became blank and the power light on the CPU was off. I think that the pro... See more...
A few minutes after booting up into Windows, my XPS 420 desktop switched off by itself without any reason. The monitor screen became blank and the power light on the CPU was off. I think that the problem is not due to my monitor. It is because I managed to access the monitor setting, by pressing the monitor buttons. There was no diagnostic beep when it is powered on, as well as none of the power lights on the front panel were switched on. Note that I have never overclocked any component in the computer. The problem has worsen, up to point that my desktop switched off by itself even during BIOS. Upon closer inspection, I realized that: 1. There is no problem in my power supply in my house. I tried connecting the CPU power plug to different power sockets, but to no avail. 2. The same symptom is also exhibited even after I detach the power cable to video card, and the SATA card to hard disk. 3. The LED on my motherboard lights off when the same problem occurs. Usually, when my desktop is working fine, this LED continuously emits light.   My computer specification is as follow: Dell XPS420 Desktop / BIOS A07 Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600  @ 2.40GHz 8 GB (4 x 2 GB) Kingston DDR2 800 MHz SDRAM Memory Leadtek WinFast GTX460 1GB OC, 725 MHz Core, 3600 MHz Memory 1 TB 7200 RPM Samsung SpinPoint F3 hard disk BTX motherboard 425 W Power Supply Unit Guys, could you please advise me what is the cause of the computer malfunction and how I should fix it? I like this computer very much and it hurts me seeing it being malfunctioned. :( Thank you for your information.  :)
I have a Dell XPS 420 desktop with a DVD Burner, TSSTcorp HH SATA 16X DVD+-RW TS-H653B. The DVD burner does not spin DVD anymore, and I need your help in solving this problem. I would appreciate any ... See more...
I have a Dell XPS 420 desktop with a DVD Burner, TSSTcorp HH SATA 16X DVD+-RW TS-H653B. The DVD burner does not spin DVD anymore, and I need your help in solving this problem. I would appreciate any help and assistance given to me.   It is a conventional tray-load DVD burner, made by Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology Corporation. Its features are as follow: Supported read features: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD+R Dual Layer, Mode2 Form1, Mode2 Form2, multisession, FP Method2, RW, ISRC, UPC, RW SubDeint, PW LeadIn, CD Text. Supported write features: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD+R Dual Layer, stimulation, supports buffer underrun protection, Mode DAO, Mode DAO 96 Packet Write, Mode DAO 96 Raw Write, Mode DAO 16, Mode RAW DAO, Mode DAO CD Text, Mode SAO, Mode TAO, Mode Packet Write, CD Text. Misc features: C2 pointers, Plays audio, Uses CDDA Cmd, Accurate CDDA, Lock supported, Eject supported, Supports separate volume, Supports mute separate.   A few days ago, I placed a blank DVD inside the drive tray, with the intention of burning the DVD. During DVD burning, I heard unusually loud DVD scratching sound from the drive. I did not suspect something amiss, other than the DVD being already spoilt before the burning process. The DVD were being spun and burned. When the disc burning program (CDBurnerXP) proceeded to "writing lead-out" stage to close the DVD, the disk drive did not spin the DVD anymore at all.   After a long time, it was still at "writing lead-out" stage. Thus, I just "ended task" the disc burning program and ejected the disc. I was shocked to discover that the DVD was severely scratched at its outer edge. Only then, I realized that I might misplaced the DVD on the disc tray, until it was misaligned. The damaged DVD is just a minor problem, since the DVD burner unable to spin discs is a far bigger concern. Now, whenever I place the DVD on the tray, the disc drive does not spin DVD at all, and thus my desktop cannot read the DVD. Hence, that rules out burning DVD as well.   Nevertheless, the optical disc drive is still capable of ejecting a DVD, either by pressing the eject button on the drive, or by right-clicking the drive and select eject. So, how should I solve this problem, as well as getting my DVD burner to spin, read and burn DVDs as normal? Any advice given is very much appreciated.  
JMICHAEL, your information is very much appreciated as always. 1. If we rate them according to gaming performance, I believe that it should be (in the order of increasing performance): GTX 550 Ti ... See more...
JMICHAEL, your information is very much appreciated as always. 1. If we rate them according to gaming performance, I believe that it should be (in the order of increasing performance): GTX 550 Ti > GTX 460 1 GB > GTX 560 Ti If no one else has yet reported successful installation and usage of GTX 560 Ti in XPS 420, I should stick to the tried-and-tested 1 GB GTX 460. 2. I understand that the 425 W Dell power supply is rated at steady state loads, not peak loads like most other PSU manufacturers. If I am to rate this 425 W PSU in term of peak power output, what would be its rating? Approximately 500 W maybe? 3. Well, I do not know how to perform safe overclock. Thus, it would be better that the card comes with overclocked speed, upon purchase. Yes, it will be expensive as you say, but I will accept it as it is. At least this way, overclocked speed is guaranteed to be safe by the manufacturer of the card. 4. Off topic aside, if I want to install a processor, I have to apply thermal paste before installing the porcessor heatsink. On the other hand, in terms of the installation of the video card, is it just plug the card into the PCI-E slot according to Owner Manual, without the need of thermal paste, right? Are there any other steps I should perform during the installation of the card? 5. After successful installtion of the card, pretty much I should remove the old driver and install new version of nVidia driver. Then, what else should I complete to confirm the card is working just fine without any problem? Playing GPU-intensive games, or running benchmark program? Thanks again.
Thanks for your suggestion, JMICHAEL.  Pardon my inexperience. As this is going to be my first purchase of video card, I really do not want to commit a fatal mistake in selecting the wrong graphic ... See more...
Thanks for your suggestion, JMICHAEL.  Pardon my inexperience. As this is going to be my first purchase of video card, I really do not want to commit a fatal mistake in selecting the wrong graphic card for my XPS 420. 1. Can GTX 560 Ti function well with the default 425 W power supply in my system, without throttling or overheating? Even if GTX 560 Ti is much powerful than GTX 460, it is possible that GTX 560 Ti may not be able to unleash its fullest gaming performance due to 425 W power supply, and thus ends up as being inferior than unconstrained GTX 460. Hopefully, the new video card can perform well in my system, without being constrained or bottlenecked, or even creating overheating risk in my system. 2. With regard to my Question 4 (about external exhaust), are you suggesting there are pros and cons in using video card with external exhaust? Is it true that video card with external exhaust helps to cool down the Dell case, but suffers slight deficiency in keeping the video chip cooler; vice-versa applies for video cards with internal exhaust? Then, which type should I choose for maximum gaming performance? External exhaust or internal exhaust? 3. Assuming that I have choosen GeForce GTX 460, is EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SuperClocked 1024MB EE (External Exhaust) (Part Number: 01G-P3-1373-AR) the best choice? I would appreciate suggestions for the best brand of GTX 460 for my system. Price is not a factor here, as long as it is not too exorbitant that performance gain does not commensurate with the added cost. Thank you for the advice once again.
My XPS 420 originally has nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768 MB. I intend to replace it with a nVidia graphics card (as powerful as possible) which is also suitable to be installed inside the XPS 420 CPU. T... See more...
My XPS 420 originally has nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768 MB. I intend to replace it with a nVidia graphics card (as powerful as possible) which is also suitable to be installed inside the XPS 420 CPU. The motherboard inside my CPU is a BTX motherboard. Rest assured that I have read most threads about video card upgrade for XPS 420. If I am not mistaken, some of the nVidia Geforce 9 series cards onwards are rebadged versions of the nVidia Geforce 8 series cards. For sure, I would not purchase such cards. The replacement graphics card should provide significant gaming performance improvement as compared to my previous one and is not a rebadged version. My main priority is the outright performance of the card. The price of the card needs not to be cheap, as long as it is not too exorbitant that performance gain does not commensurate with the added cost. The card should have DVI and HDMI outputs. Without changing the power supply or using additional connectors besides the PCI-e slot, please tell me the best card (brand, amount of video RAM, price) to use. I will not overclock my system, hoping to extend the longevity of my system. 1. Well, the rating of my power supply is 425 W. My desktop has two 2x3 PCI-E power connectors to power the Graphics Card. I know that its bus interface is of PCI-E 1.0 x16. I know that GeForce GTX 460 has been proven to work just fine in XPS 420 and it is highly recommended in most of the threads here. PCI-E slot x16 that I have is PCI-E 2.0 compliant. Then again, what about GeForce 500 Series, such as GTX 550 Ti and GTX 560 Ti? I desire the best video card for my desktop, without charging my power supply. 2. What is the dimension of the new graphics card? The dimension of my original card (excluding the supporting board) is: 27 cm x 10 cm x 4 cm (length x width x height). I hope that it will fit well in my XPS 420 rig, without the need to force fit it. 3. How can I tell whether the new graphics card is BTX-compliant? Since the BTX motherboard is mounted on left side of the rig and the fan of the graphic card must be directed upwards, I afraid of choosing the wrong card (such as ATX-compliant) with its fan directed downwards. 4. What are other factors that I should deliberate upon, when choosing suitable video card? Are they the ability to exhausts heat outside of the case, rather than keeping it inside; larger fans versus smaller turbine type fan? 5. Should I install additional heat sink or fan inside the rig, to account for the new video card? If that is so, what would be suitable brand of such components and their price? My computer specification is as follow: Dell XPS420 Desktop / BIOS A07 Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600  @ 2.40GHz 8 GB (4 x 2 GB) Kingston DDR2 800 MHz SDRAM Memory 768 MB nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 1 TB 7200 RPM Samsung SpinPoint F3 hard disk 425 W Power Supply Unit Thank you for your advice.
Davet50 Thanks for your explaination. Yes, all my RAM are of Kingston, with the same model number. The difference is that the first set of 2 x 2 GB RAM is of CL5, while the newer set is of CL6. Pr... See more...
Davet50 Thanks for your explaination. Yes, all my RAM are of Kingston, with the same model number. The difference is that the first set of 2 x 2 GB RAM is of CL5, while the newer set is of CL6. Probably, the one year elapsed between the 2 purchases has caused the second set of RAM to have different SPDT. So, how can I request flash SPDT from Kingston? Which flash SPDT should I use? The one from older CL5 RAM, or the one from newer CL6 RAM? Is there any risk in flashing the SPDT of the RAM, similar to the one for BIOS flashing? Thanks for your information.
Thank you so much for your replies, guys. I think that the problem is not due to my Dell SE198WFP 19" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor, originally bundled with my XPS 420 purchase. It is because I manag... See more...
Thank you so much for your replies, guys. I think that the problem is not due to my Dell SE198WFP 19" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor, originally bundled with my XPS 420 purchase. It is because I managed to access the monitor setting, by pressing the monitor buttons. 1. Yes, there is something funny regarding the status of the power light on the front panel. For about 8 attempts of every 10 boot up of my XPS 420, none of the lights lights up. For the remaining 2 attempts, it shows Light 1, 2 and 3 (Another failure has occurred.) light up. Occasionally, it shows Light 2 and 3 light up (A possible floppy drive or hard drive failure has occurred.). The light sequences makes not much sence to me. If my hard disk was supposed to faulty, removing hard disk would allow the computer to boot into BIOS at the every least. No matter what, I still cannot access BIOS. 2. Diagnostic beeps? There is not any. Once I switched on the computer, the computer will load, without any sound from the speaker. The screen remained blank as always. Once in a while, the XPS Miniview displayed "No Display Device Found", before loading into Windows SideShow. Again, this display is not consistent enough to be displayed for every reboot.   3. Running the Dell diagnostics is definitely not an option, as BIOS has to be loaded before we can select the Dell diagnostics. Since I cannot even see BIOS at all, there is no chance of me using Dell diagnostics. 4. Could the problem be caused by insufficient power supply from PSU, or faulty PSU? Note that I have never overclocked any component in the computer. 5. I too agree with you guys that the video card is faulty and I cannot repair it. I just take the easy way of buying a video card to replace it. However, I afraid that after spending huge amount of the money buying the card and installing it, the problem still cannot be solved. Then, the money would be wasted for no reason. That is why I have to be really sure that video card is the culprit, before proceeding to buy the replacement. IN other words, I should not jump into any hasty conclusion. I hope that you all can understand my predicament. Is there any other way to fully confirm the video card as the culprit? Thank you for your information. My XPS 420 has always been the pride of my life. I really love to see it running fine once again.
  When I was playing game, the screen became blank (black screen), with sound from my speaker hang (same sound repeatedly). Thus, I were forced to perform an improper shutdown. After a restart, my ... See more...
  When I was playing game, the screen became blank (black screen), with sound from my speaker hang (same sound repeatedly). Thus, I were forced to perform an improper shutdown. After a restart, my computer performed just fine.   The next day, when I was just playing music in my computer, the screen again became blank (black screen), with sound from my speaker hang (same sound repeatedly). Once again, I were forced to perform an improper shutdown. This time, when I switched on the computer, the screen remained blank without showing BIOS. It could be heard that the fans were running slightly louder.   Thus, I tried to remove and disconnect the hard disk and tried to switch on it again. The screen remained blank. Guys, could you please advise me what is the cause of the computer malfunction and how I should fix it? I like this computer very much and it hurts me seeing it being malfunctioned. :(      My computer specification is as follow:   Dell XPS420 Desktop / BIOS A07 Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600  @ 2.40GHz 8 GB (4 x 2 GB) Kingston DDR2 800 MHz SDRAM Memory 768 MB nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 1 TB 7200 RPM Samsung SpinPoint F3 hard disk 425 W Power Supply Unit   Thank you for the advice given.  
Lately, I noticed that a weird noise is emitted from CPU of my XPS 420. Even after removing the computer casing and checking all fans working well, I still could not pinpoint the source of the noise.... See more...
Lately, I noticed that a weird noise is emitted from CPU of my XPS 420. Even after removing the computer casing and checking all fans working well, I still could not pinpoint the source of the noise. 2 occasions when the noise is quite noticeable: 1. Playing video. 2. Playing games. When I was loading my savegame, the noise is not being emitted. Only after the savegame is completely loaded and I am starting to play the game, it starts to emit the noise. I know that my description is still vague and thus, it is diificult to determine the source of the noise. At the very least, could you suggest several potential causes and their respective solutions? I am afraid that if do not address this problem soon, it may lead to imminent failure to my computer. My computer specification is as follow: Dell XPS420 Desktop / BIOS A07 Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600  @ 2.40GHz 8 GB (4 x 2 GB) Kingston DDR2 800 MHz SDRAM Memory 768 MB nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 1 TB 7200 RPM Samsung SpinPoint F3 hard disk 425 W Power Supply Unit Thank you for your advice.
1 st easy step need to download the file.  http://dslbdownload.ddsupdate1.com/dsl_reinstall_download.html  This file is a ‘ File Checker’ , when downloaded and executed it would analyze the... See more...
1 st easy step need to download the file.  http://dslbdownload.ddsupdate1.com/dsl_reinstall_download.html  This file is a ‘ File Checker’ , when downloaded and executed it would analyze the installation requirements. Once the analysis is complete, ‘ Key 1 ’ will be generated by installer and on clicking OK, it would direct you to another web link.  Thank you very much. That is very helpful as I have finally obtained the answer I am waiting for. 1. What do you mean by ‘ Key 1 ’? Is this key the same as "Your ID" key needed for upgrading process of DataSafe?   2. Is the key different for each computer? 3. If I am to use just the basic version of DataSafe Local Backup, the ‘ Key 1 ’ is not needed, right? Thank you very much for your advice.
dumping3 Could you please upload the file again? The link (http://uploaded.to/file/6idwdf) does not work anymore. Thanks.