Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

1 Message

January 5th, 2020 17:00

XPS 8700, corrupt boot partitions

I have a XPS 8700 that is several years old - out of warrantee.

About a year ago I was having trouble with the original C: Drive on the computer.   I installed a secondary SSD drive put Windows 10 on it, setting this up as a dual boot system.  

I was able to use either OS until about a month ago, when windows on the original drive became corrupt and unusable.  I was able to boot up Windows on the SSD just fine, until the original hard drive failed.  I've since learned that partitions on the original disk are critical for booting, even to Windows on another disk.  But apparently the EFI is corrupt and unusable.

I am not worried about user data on the original disk - I had it all backed up. I just need to be able to boot. The "Revovery" DVD and USB I previously made don't do what I need.  What now?

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

January 5th, 2020 18:00

If you are sure the EFI is corrupted on the original hard disk, perhaps this may help: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln300987/how-to-repair-the-efi-bootloader-on-a-gpt-hdd-for-windows-7-8-8-1-and-10-on-your-dell-pc?lang=en

To be safe maybe you should disconnect the SSD before attempting any repairs.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 5th, 2020 19:00

@DanFromCA wrote:

XPS 8700

1. I was having trouble with the original C: Drive on the computer.   I installed a secondary SSD drive put Windows 10 on it, setting this up as a dual boot system.  

2. I've since learned that partitions on the original disk are critical for booting, 

3. I am not worried about user data on the original disk - I had it all backed up.

4. I just need to be able to boot. The "Recovery" DVD and USB I previously made don't do what I need.  What now?

1. So, that was a mis-step. 

2. No, not normally.

3. Good, you have a backup of your important files.

4. Well, by not doing the original repair properly, you have dug yourself into quite a large hole

Install and connect ONE 100% working (blank-raw) HDD/SSD.

Clean-install Windows-10

Re-install your programs and then restore your data/media files from the backup. You have SATA drives, but this is the basic idea and should be very close.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-M-2-NVMe-bootable-options/td-p/6073037

2.5K Posts

January 6th, 2020 05:00

The "Recovery" DVD and USB I previously made don't do what I need.  What now?

This DVD is dead on 2nd PC, if yes why is it? you burned it using some non standard way? I use Imgburn (free)

If using USB memory stick you must ,unmount it first before taking it out or it will go corrupted, ask how to fix that. (there are USB stick mem. recoveru apps too that work ,ask or google that)

so not using MS cloud backup, sure.

you need to make  sure that BU is good first,  why did it fail?, ask the backup software maker that, none stated by you. (no method of backing up stated, just media almost and USB what, what does USB mean?)

I only backup the most critical files by direct copy , using a file sync program free.  the files are never bad. ever.

if using that fancy stuff )BU APP, that compresses to a custom format , make sure it can recover after, a BU, you can recover,  1 or few files only some lame BU programs, do not allow that (free cripple ware)  my EASEUS todo backup works. and all top 3 do.

there are others BU APPS great, too.  paid for is best, full features and recover always works if the backup drive is not bad. (never trust just 1 )

so you are not backed up ,now.  right?  that means you are in DATA recovery mode.  move the HDD with data

to any other PC with external HDD drive dock, and get your files now and first.  recover them. 

or you will not be happy./

I backup to 3 places critical fails (no cloud)

• to external 3TB HDD, in my custom USB /eSata  case or dock.
  • to my data server DELL R710
  • and to my own online web page servers. I store data there too, ask. it's only $4 /month to have that.

with free  real email too, private /fast /clean and not spam ever, (not caused by you)

How big is your data,  100MB, 4GB or 10TB,,  size matters.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 6th, 2020 07:00

No recovery options work on a physically bad drive.

You have to start with new hard drive and reinstall using OEM system builder DVD with secure boot off to F12 boot the DVD.

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-64-bit-reinstall-recovery-disc-only-no-license-key-included/p/N82E16832350238

No Events found!