Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 7th, 2010 13:00

GINA chaining in 2008 R2

Looking to see if anyone has set up GINA chaining in Windows  Server 2008 R2 to Novell  Client 2 for Windows Vista/2008.  I am working on a 64-bit 2008 R2 RDS server (Term  Server) and trying to chain the Quest vWorkspace GINA to the Novell  Client 2 for Windows Vista/2008 GINA to allow connection to our NetWare  file servers until they are migrated over to Windows servers early next year.  I  am able to manually login to Novell after logging into the server, but  would like it to automatically log in and run Novell scripts.  I have the registry key setup that is listed in the Admin guide for vWorkspace 7.1, but it does not chain the logins.

7 Posts

October 12th, 2010 14:00

Found that GINA chaining is not supported in WS2008/Vista/7 and the settings in the documentation have no effect on Windows Server 2008.  Microsoft is now using Credential Providers to authenticate.  Using the 'Novell Client 2 SP1 for Windows(IR4)' allows for the desired behavior when logging into a terminal server via the web interface.

The following settings need to be in the registry to allow for this to work when logging into a RDS through web interface:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novell\Authentication\NCCredProvider]

"ShowLastLogon"=dword:00000000

"Enabled"=dword:00000000

"ComputerOnlyLogonDefault"=dword:00000001

"ComputerOnlyLogonAfterFailedNovellLogon"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novell\Login]

"AutoAdminQueryNDS"=dword:00000001

"TSClientAutoAdminLogon"="1"

"DefaultLoginProfile"="Default"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novell\Login\Profiles\System\Default\Tab2]

"Login Script"=dword:00000001

"Display Results"=dword:00000001

"Close Results"=dword:00000001

Settings on the Advanced Login tab in the Properties will have to checked and set if needed:

Computer Only Logon=On

Computer Only Logon after failed Novell Logon=Never

Computer Only Logon Default=Always

Last Logged On User=Off

Login With Non-Novell Credential Provider=On

Novell Logon=Off

Also, you need to configure the LDAP Contextless Login tab in Properties if you have multiple OUs that your users are contained within.

180 Posts

October 7th, 2010 13:00

I've not... but is it just access to file servers you need? If so could you not enable CIFS on the Netware boxes and use the map drive feature of vWorkspace to map users to?

You need to change some NTLM settings for SSO on though.

Dan.

7 Posts

October 7th, 2010 14:00

Unfortunately the Novell NetWare servers are 5.1 and are not setup to support CIFS.  I should have put that in the original post.

180 Posts

October 7th, 2010 15:00

Ah...ok.

In that case I'm not sure... I've never tried the GINA chaining facility myself... We were very keen to move away from the NWclient. We're in the middle of a data migration project ourselves. Using the Quest NDS to AD tool as it happens

Dan.

No Events found!